Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Old 04-28-2018, 03:00 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

If that is NA it is the ****tiest sounding naturally aspirated motor in history. Wow that sounds awful.
Old 04-28-2018, 03:06 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

I can’t remember who stated this earlier, but IIRC someone here mentioned they had a discussion with a Porsche Executive a while back and they voiced that the 981 Spyder was the one to have and it is a keeper based on what was coming. At the time I didn’t think anything of it, but now starting to think otherwise.

If the 982 Spyder is going to be Motorsport developed, will it stray too far from its roots as being the perfect balanced pure road/canyon carving sportscar? Will the engine, suspension, brakes, tires be over the top for our beloved Spyder? Everyone (Including several 911 GT3 and GT3 RS owners) state how perfect the 981 is. I ask the serious question, will Porsche jump the Shark with the 982 Spyder by focusing on the wrong things (performance over purity of connecting with the car and the environment it is in.)
Old 04-28-2018, 04:34 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
If that is NA it is the ****tiest sounding naturally aspirated motor in history. Wow that sounds awful.
Maybe they were conditioning us all along with the flat four in the regular 718s so we wouldn't think this is too terrible...
Old 04-28-2018, 10:59 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
I can’t remember who stated this earlier, but IIRC someone here mentioned they had a discussion with a Porsche Executive a while back and they voiced that the 981 Spyder was the one to have and it is a keeper based on what was coming. At the time I didn’t think anything of it, but now starting to think otherwise.

If the 982 Spyder is going to be Motorsport developed, will it stray too far from its roots as being the perfect balanced pure road/canyon carving sportscar? Will the engine, suspension, brakes, tires be over the top for our beloved Spyder? Everyone (Including several 911 GT3 and GT3 RS owners) state how perfect the 981 is. I ask the serious question, will Porsche jump the Shark with the 982 Spyder by focusing on the wrong things (performance over purity of connecting with the car and the environment it is in.)
I highly doubt that the Spyder would get 'worse' from being fettled around with by the Motorsport department. I for one would rather welcome their involvement. It's like saying omg a Ferrari 458 Speciale is so not fun carving a canyon but the Ferrari 458 is way more fun! I never understood that logic. A GT4 is any less fun carving canyons? Please. No way.

The only point I would agree one is yes wit the cloth top on or off the sound is way more enhanced and that adds to the driving fun. And also the Spyder is a way prettier car than the GT4 is. So if Porsche was keeping the NA motor adding more power and basically adding all the GT4 hardware but putting it in that sexy curvy body how can one complain!?!?!?!
Old 04-28-2018, 12:45 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I highly doubt that the Spyder would get 'worse' from being fettled around with by the Motorsport department. I for one would rather welcome their involvement. It's like saying omg a Ferrari 458 Speciale is so not fun carving a canyon but the Ferrari 458 is way more fun! I never understood that logic. A GT4 is any less fun carving canyons? Please. No way.

The only point I would agree one is yes wit the cloth top on or off the sound is way more enhanced and that adds to the driving fun. And also the Spyder is a way prettier car than the GT4 is. So if Porsche was keeping the NA motor adding more power and basically adding all the GT4 hardware but putting it in that sexy curvy body how can one complain!?!?!?!
I can’t speak first hand, but there have been many that own both the GT4 and the Spyder and they state the Spyder is a better drivers car where the GT4 is obviously geared more for the track. If they both merge to near identical dynamics would that make the Spyder less street focused? Tires for instance... many state the cup tires have too much grip for the street? Again... just bringing points up from others. Will it loose it’s separate identity/personality and simply become a soft top GT4? And is that a good thing?
Old 04-28-2018, 12:55 PM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I can’t speak first hand, but there have been many that own both the GT4 and the Spyder and they state the Spyder is a better drivers car where the GT4 is obviously geared more for the track. If they both merge to near identical dynamics would that make the Spyder less street focused? Tires for instance... many state the cup tires have too much grip for the street? Again... just bringing points up from others. Will it loose it’s separate identity/personality and simply become a soft top GT4? And is that a good thing?
I also have the same thoughts and have concerns that the new version would lose the street feel and dynamics that make it great and unique. Not sure additional track worthiness provides the same.
Old 04-28-2018, 01:03 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Interesting. I guess I must be a weirdo then. I already feel I could do with more grip and more acceleration in general. Car feels 'lethargic' especially cause of the long gearing. That's why I am looking to mod the motor and get more grunt out of it so that the long gearing doesn't feel as long anymore - the idea being that if the motor has more grunt it will accelerate harder and that will make it not feel like I am waiting for ever for the car to hit red line. And I am looking to get way more aggressive rubber because the Pirellis are sliding in the corners now when I go canyon carving. But I don't want to give up the drama or the looks of my Spyder so maybe if I get forged wheels and gt4 sized tires and cup 2 tires etc it will address all my needs. I guess I am really familiar with the car now so I need to rectify what I think are its shortcomings which is why a Motorsports fettled Spyder would be right up my alley!
Old 04-28-2018, 06:09 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

This is just silly...
Old 04-28-2018, 06:40 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by BryanCO

This is just silly...
Why?
Old 04-28-2018, 07:16 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by BryanCO

This is just silly...
Lol harsh but pretty much how I feel haha
Old 04-28-2018, 10:09 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
Sounds great... but do we ear turbos spool on deceleration ?

https://youtu.be/npZbMmSaMEM
Wow, sounds like sh** to me. Especially for a GT car, homogenous and doesn't have the symphonic scream/wail of an N/A.

Also, the turbo whistles. :/

Bummer.
Old 04-29-2018, 01:08 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

It would very interesting if Porsche made the 911 speedster with the 4.0, and then also gave the 718 Spyder a detained version.. at half the price.

Something tells me, pure hunch.. Gt4 and Spyder will be 4 cyl turbo.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:03 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Just listened to that whole video again. There is no crescendo to a high rpm wail at all. It doesn’t sound anything like either the 4l GT3 or the old 3.8l GT3 motor. Sounds like a flat 6 with a fart can exhaust short shifting at 5k. Very odd.
Old 04-29-2018, 02:52 AM
RRDnA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

NA flat six PDK - looks well set up and glued down. Nice.
Old 04-29-2018, 06:55 AM
Tomco
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Here is what I got confirmed in Belgium for the 718 (982) Boxster Spyder :
Presentation in Paris in oktober.
Engine : 4.0 GT3 engine with +/- 420 HP
Gear : manual or PDK (option)
Deliveries : spring 2019
Price : + 3% on Spyder 981 pricing.

Kind Regards, Tom