Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2018, 01:38 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
If resale value affects your ability to afford a car or your next car, you're doing it wrong.
Standing alone, that statement is about the dumbest I've read here and is condescending as well. Never mind the fact that it is non-responsive to anything I wrote. Resale value matters to me. Period. And I'm sure it does to most folks no matter what their financial condition.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:41 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Is there even such a thing?

I'm not usually one to hop from one car to another of the same model (although I did have a 2009 C63 sedan and a 2014 C63 507 Coupe back to back) so I doubt I'd buy a 982 Spyder no matter what engine it had in it. But a turbo in that car would definitely allow my current vehicle to retain its value better than if the new car was NA. And I don't have the luxury of not caring about resale value.
I know at youre getting at but it seems short sighted. Sounds like a case of FOMO.
The 981 spyder will be desirable no matter what motor is in the 982. The 987 spyder still retains high resale values despite the 981 debuting with a 3.8L.

I hope Porsche keeps cranking out awesome cars indefinitely despite what I have in my current garage.
Old 04-25-2018, 02:56 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
The 981 spyder will be desirable no matter what motor is in the 982. The 987 spyder still retains high resale values despite the 981 debuting with a 3.8L.
True, but the consensus seems to be that if the next Spyder is some form of 4 cylinder turbo, the 981 Spyder will retain an even higher level of resale value. That appeals to me.

But I will agree that there is a bit of a conflict within me, as I also want Porsche to keep churning out fantastic, state of the art vehicles. I just don't like the thought of the next one being better than the one I have because I know from experience what often happens then. Ca-ching!!!
Old 04-25-2018, 03:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I still don’t understand why so many think it will be a 4 when Porsche has stated it will be an NA 6 for this next Spyder? Clearly the sound clips are pointing to an NA now, albeit with odd sound.

I would assume that 981 pricing will come down a small percentage with the intro on the new Spyder but will level out at 10 - 15% below MSRP until things really change with future products. Eventually prices will climb but don’t expect this to happen for at least 10 years.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:16 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I still don’t understand why so many think it will be a 4 when Porsche has stated it will be an NA 6 for this next Spyder? Clearly the sound clips are pointing to an NA now, albeit with odd sound.

I would assume that 981 pricing will come down a small percentage with the intro on the new Spyder but will level out at 10 - 15% below MSRP until things really change with future products. Eventually prices will climb but don’t expect this to happen for at least 10 years.

I agree 1000%... and I too have no clue why people still think it is a Turbo 4. Maybe the 718 peeps are in denial? or people can't comprehend that a NA6 will no longer sound the same with the new sound/particulate regs... oh well, the doubters will disappear once it debuts... but that's a year away.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:21 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
I agree 1000%... and I too have no clue why people still think it is a Turbo 4. Maybe the 718 peeps are in denial? or people can't comprehend that a NA6 will no longer sound the same with the new sound/particulate regs... oh well, the doubters will disappear once it debuts... but that's a year away.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:52 PM
bminingham
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

my money is on the 3.0 flat 6 turbo out of the 991.2
Old 04-25-2018, 05:55 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

or people can't comprehend that a NA6 will no longer sound the same with the new sound/particulate regs...
Is that old news? Genuinely asking because the first I heard of it was this thread in the last week or two. I knew the turbo 4 was the result of emissions/efficiency regs but I had no idea sound regs were a thing now, let alone that they might/will neuter the sound of our Porsches from the factory. That's a shame. I'm sure the aftermarket providers are pretty stoked though.
Old 04-25-2018, 05:58 PM
Ddesimone17
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All I know is my 981 spyder puts a grin on my face every time I get to drive it , I can’t control the next rendition or the one after that or if the value will be above or below msrp. At the end of the day I don’t care bc Anytime I drive the spyder the exhilaration that ensues from it is all that counts for me. Never once do I think about what the car value is when I depress the throttle And hear all the gurgles n pops. for today it’s one of my favorite cars I have ever driven and for me thats priceless. Stop fretting over things you can’t control and drive S——— out of it. be grateful for waking up on the right side of the grass today n being blessed w the opportunity to drive such a fun toy!
982 / 718 spyder can have an f16 jet engine but it won’t change how I enjoy driving the 981!
Old 04-25-2018, 07:22 PM
Jim137a
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 90 Posts

^ This

I could agree more with this though process - every time i take out my CGTS on some great back roads i don’t have a care in the world. The only thing I’m focused on is the next turn and hope it looks like these.
Old 04-25-2018, 07:45 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Originally Posted by Ddesimone17
All I know is my 981 spyder puts a grin on my face every time I get to drive it , I can’t control the next rendition or the one after that or if the value will be above or below msrp. At the end of the day I don’t care bc Anytime I drive the spyder the exhilaration that ensues from it is all that counts for me. Never once do I think about what the car value is when I depress the throttle And hear all the gurgles n pops. for today it’s one of my favorite cars I have ever driven and for me thats priceless. Stop fretting over things you can’t control and drive S——— out of it. be grateful for waking up on the right side of the grass today n being blessed w the opportunity to drive such a fun toy!
982 / 718 spyder can have an f16 jet engine but it won’t change how I enjoy driving the 981!
No argument there. That being said, it is fun to speculate and wonder about the latest and greatest.

I am in no rush to get rid of my current CGTS however. Twisting the key and taking it out is a treat every single time.
Old 04-25-2018, 11:49 PM
Tergosa
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree no matter what this never gets old
Old 04-26-2018, 02:20 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 565 Posts

or people can't comprehend that a NA6 will no longer sound the same with the new sound/particulate regs...
On that subject, though, what does anyone really know about that? We don't have much to go on except that we know it quietens down the exhaust to the point that they might not require much of a muffler at all to get the desired result. But that is a matter of volume, primarily, and its only on the exhaust side. It may explain a "weird" sounding NA but to take it as fact when so little is known about it seems premature.

The intake should not be affected anyway, that side is still breathing as freely as ever with an NA and a lot of sound can be piped into the cabin from there if they need it. Incidentally, the particulate filter does not explain the apparent lack of intake sound on the spy vids.
Old 04-26-2018, 02:39 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
On that subject, though, what does anyone really know about that? We don't have much to go on except that we know it quietens down the exhaust to the point that they might not require much of a muffler at all to get the desired result. But that is a matter of volume, primarily, and its only on the exhaust side. It may explain a "weird" sounding NA but to take it as fact when so little is known about it seems premature.

The intake should not be affected anyway, that side is still breathing as freely as ever with an NA and a lot of sound can be piped into the cabin from there if they need it. Incidentally, the particulate filter does not explain the apparent lack of intake sound on the spy vids.
I googled around for gasoline particulate filters. I didn't really find anything regarding the 'effects' they would have on the motors. It does clean up the exhaust considerably so that's good. BUT there's a ton of literature of diesel particular filters and I would argue the effect of that filter on diesel motors in terms of sound and performance etc would be similar to that in a gasoline engine - just the effects could be more or less. That's my thought anyway.
Old 04-26-2018, 11:07 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by MagicRat
RSV4 one of my favourite and favourite sounding bikes. Old Uncle Rat has the Factory model and I’ve been lucky enough to take it out a few times.
Mine too. Pick one up before '20. Euro regs are expected to hammer down heavily on the sound from '20. Even Aprilia (one of the very few managed to keep the music alive) won't be able to remain unscathed.

No intake sound to speak of.
Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
.............. I would argue the effect of that filter on diesel motors in terms of sound and performance etc would be similar to that in a gasoline engine - just the effects could be more or less. ......
Good catch on the intake sound, lack there of. What if they were running a Euro-spec map which is onerous on the sound? Someone reported that they can no longer have PSE button. In the US, we don't have such restrictions. So, our setup could sound freely. My understanding is that Particular Filter doesn't impact the sound per se. There could be unintended ripple effect. However, the diminished sound is the result an explicit directive in the regs. By mandate, db levels required to be lower. It is expected to be further lowered in next set of regs.

................... a lot of sound can be piped into the cabin from there if they need it. .........
Hell no!! If the Spyder gets such a treatment, I wouldn't touch it with a ten-foot pole!!

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?