Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 05:47 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Given all the variables in play any speculation at this point is hopeless.

Of course that isn't going to stop me from listening to every clip and reading and re-reading every scrap of information I can find. But at least I recognize it is a fool's errand.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:22 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Really hard to tell!
Old 04-24-2018, 06:24 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
sounds turbo to me though I sure hope I am wrong!
I hope you are right on the money. Turbo all the way.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:27 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Not that you have a vested interest in it or anything.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:10 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Gravs
Really hard to tell!
Just listen to similar video for a 981 Spyder...

Old 04-24-2018, 08:32 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno

https://youtu.be/yuIwPmpfRLE
Ahhhh . . . spine tingling!

Love how these cars sound when driven in anger and at pace. Put the top down and the sensations are amplified (literally) 10x.

Glorious stuff. Thanks for posting.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:44 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ah that 981 Spyder sounds awesome....oh wait that's exactly how my car sounds! Lucky me! ;P
Old 04-24-2018, 10:14 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
To me, that sounds NA and there are a couple of parts where the wail/howl/scream comes out, especially around 1 minute in. Really doesn't sound turbo there and obviously still nothing like the 718 that it's testing with.
It is definitely NA. It is different. I put it down to noise regs. Also, it is just cruising around in mid-range RPMs. We don't know what kind of tuning (fuel, exhaust noise level, etc.) they were running. The PSE could be off as well. In the video, I am assuming all that noise comes from the proto; the 718 Cayman running behind feels whisper-quiet.

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
https://youtu.be/yuIwPmpfRLE
Pretty cool clip indeed! Thanks. Clearly demonstrates how cool the 981 Spyder sounds. However, we can't draw parallel to 982 proto yet. The proto was not driven anywhere near the limit. It was just cruising around at leisurely pace. It had to move over for another make proto in full camo running in full tilt. So, when driven in WOT, it "will" sound different.

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni

.......... he said you won't believe how easy it flicks. It literally has no reistance to flicking from side to side. He could not believe it. That said I really like the sound of the Aprilia. And my RSV4F has to have one of the best sounding motors of all time. I got it mated with an Austin Racing exhaust and boy does it sound good!!!! Aprilia just announced a limited run of the Factory bikes with the MotoGP winglets btw! Did you see those? Crazy lookin though the color scheme is a bit too loud for my taste. Wonderful machines though!

..................then all is not lost cause I think aftermarket companies will totally come to the rescue for sound purposes! Nat asp motor over turbo any day...almost...it's hard to resist that H6 turbo in the 911 cars cause of all the tunable potential they have!
I believe it. Few reviews I read, all rave about how good the Panigale V4 is. Sounds like my kind of ride. BUT, that sound! I "hate" boomy, loud Twin sound of Panigale. Had an S for a few weeks as a loaner when my F4 was being worked on. So, for the new V4 to literally replicate that sound is a travesty, in my view. I was deeply disappointed. Yeah, seen the pictures of the race replica. Pretty cool indeed, not withstanding the color scheme. And, totally agree on the sound of RSV4. Probably the "only" reason I want one! From MY20, the Euro5 regs will be oppressive to noise levels! If you thought it is bad now, ain't seen nothin' yet!

You are right about fixing the sound of 982 Spyder if it falls short of expectations. Now I am pretty certain it is NA. Once the tuners get their hands on one, there will be options like Intake, Header, Exhaust, etc. The Particulate Filter may only impact the CO2 We will have to wait and see what would it take to uncork the sound.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:38 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Originally Posted by blackholescion
For those of you that don't keep track of the GT4 thread, here's a new video:

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/...yder-im-video/

To me, that sounds NA and there are a couple of parts where the wail/howl/scream comes out, especially around 1 minute in. Really doesn't sound turbo there and obviously still nothing like the 718 that it's testing with.
Sounds Turbo to me. Who really knows. Doesn’t sound great though.
Old 04-25-2018, 04:07 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

RSV4 one of my favourite and favourite sounding bikes. Old Uncle Rat has the Factory model and I’ve been lucky enough to take it out a few times.
Old 04-25-2018, 09:25 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Also, it is just cruising around in mid-range RPMs.
At 52 seconds he pretty much boots it in second gear out of Adenauer Forst and right after that out of the small karusell in 3rd. That was flat out, or close to it, given the rate of acceleration and speed he was carrying.

No intake sound to speak of.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:14 PM
9872SpeedYellowCS
Burning Brakes

Received 449 Likes on 224 Posts

So you prefer Porsche to make subjectively worse cars in the future? Sounds a little backwards?
Old 04-25-2018, 12:24 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
So you prefer Porsche to make subjectively worse cars in the future? Sounds a little backwards?
Its because he owns a 981 Spyder... and if the 982 Spyder goes Turbo... some speculate that the value of the 981 Spyder will increase.

The 982 will be the 4.0 NA... but due to the particulate filter and noise regulations the acoustics will be neutered to meet standards.

All I can say is it’s going to be a long time to Geneva (March 2019)... speculation going in circles.
Old 04-25-2018, 12:44 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by idk_alex
...subjectively worse...
Is there even such a thing?

I'm not usually one to hop from one car to another of the same model (although I did have a 2009 C63 sedan and a 2014 C63 507 Coupe back to back) so I doubt I'd buy a 982 Spyder no matter what engine it had in it. But a turbo in that car would definitely allow my current vehicle to retain its value better than if the new car was NA. And I don't have the luxury of not caring about resale value.
Old 04-25-2018, 01:26 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

Is there even such a thing?

I'm not usually one to hop from one car to another of the same model (although I did have a 2009 C63 sedan and a 2014 C63 507 Coupe back to back) so I doubt I'd buy a 982 Spyder no matter what engine it had in it. But a turbo in that car would definitely allow my current vehicle to retain its value better than if the new car was NA. And I don't have the luxury of not caring about resale value.
If resale value affects your ability to afford a car or your next car, you're doing it wrong.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?