Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 08:58 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Dreyer
My Cayenne GTS has the V8. Between the Spyder and the Cayenne, I ride with wonderful motor noises!
‘keep them ..........we will miss NA’s when they’re gone. Speed is not important for me at this point as I feel the Spyder has the right power for the mission. Also I purchased my 458 because its the the last NA V8 with a melodic sound.....the 488 is a better car, but does not have the sound of the 458 which I think is timeless like the Porsche Spyder.
Old 04-19-2018, 09:47 PM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787

‘keep them ..........we will miss NA’s when they’re gone. Speed is not important for me at this point as I feel the Spyder has the right power for the mission. Also I purchased my 458 because its the the last NA V8 with a melodic sound.....the 488 is a better car, but does not have the sound of the 458 which I think is timeless like the Porsche Spyder.

Good N/A’s are destined classics.
Old 04-19-2018, 10:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Smart move on the Ferrari, it may take a little time but eventually the 458 will be highly coveted.

Now if I could only afford an F430 with a gated shifter!
Old 04-19-2018, 11:58 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Smart move on the Ferrari, it may take a little time but eventually the 458 will be highly coveted.

Now if I could only afford an F430 with a gated shifter!
thx .....never worry about the value just enjoy the drive(:
Old 04-20-2018, 01:00 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

thx .....never worry about the value just enjoy the drive(:
Agreed. There’s no point in owning these cars if you’re not going to enjoy them. I’m a bit odd in that I enjoy driving and I enjoy detailing/maintaining my fun cars.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:42 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Great drive in the 981 Spyder last night. It’s benefitting greatly from normal tyre pressures instead of comfort. Felt again that I will never sell it. We will never see the like of these cars again.
Old 04-20-2018, 06:07 AM
4nroots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ralphmusic
An update on my earlier post on sound analysis..

Back on topic - an update on the analysis of the latest sound clips.

My friend's managed to have a look at some of the Instagram recordings and confirms that it is a 6-cylinder not a 4 and that it appears not to be turbocharged. Unfortunately I've not yet seen the data myself since he's now travelling to Scotland, but he's sending me some screenshots so that I can have a look at the results myself. However, I've every confidence in his opinion.

Now all we have to do is wait and see what actually materialises..!

END QUOTE

Hopefully correct but would need more samples and higher revs to be definitive.

Between this and the cleaning ladies.......
Old 04-20-2018, 07:47 AM
zorgg
Advanced

So... here we are: between the 'castration' of the GT3 4.0 engine (c. 80-100 hp less, that’s a gap !), noise regulation, particle filters etc. it might well be that Porsche has managed to produce a flat 6 NA engine that sounds like a turbo (6... or even a 4 cyl, in some circumstances). If this is the case, you might guess the issues that Porsche engineers have to deal with internally: the - probable - last NA engine fitted into a Porsche is far from satisfactory in terms of performances (less powerful than the 3.8 of the 991.1 GTS, for example), and does not sound 'right'. What’s the point of all this then? Is it worth investing money in de-tuning what was an 'ideal' NA engine (the GT3 one) into something which will not be really bad, but certainly not as 'lively' at what we currently have in our 981 Spyders / GT4.

For several weeks now, we've been having some very strong signs, from various cleaning ladies, confirming the 4.0 NA engine is the option set by Porsche for the next Spyder / GT4 generation. But a very well introduced French journalist is also reporting that Porsche keep on saying that "an engine has been defined, but things can change before the launch". If Porsche are in the situation I describe above, you can imagine why they are saying this. And they still have time to make their mind, as the next 982 Spyder / GT4 will probably be launched only by next Spring (the street version)…

If with the de-tuned 4.0 they don't succeed in getting a nice sound etc., they might prefer to go for a finely tuned turbo (probably 4 cyl, as the turbo 6 doesn't fit, apparently). And, frankly, that would be my choice as well: I’d prefer to have a Spyder with a flat 4 turbo pushed to the limit, rather than to have an engine that is an ‘ersatz’ of a Porsche NA: at a similar level of power, the flat 4 turbo will provide better performances than a flat 6 NA engine. That would also leave the Speedster as the last Porsche with a ‘proper’ NA engine, and it’s a 911, so this might suit Porsche well in terms of image, marketing etc; - and this will definitively leave room for speculation on this model, obviously.

Coming back to the future Spyder, what also worries me is that it seems that, in terms of specs, it will be closer to a ‘soft-top GT car’. Sorry, but I’m not sure this is good news. What I particularly like in the 987/ 981 Spyders is that, precisely, they’ve been tuned for open roads and not for tracks. For example, I practically never have problems with road bumps, whereas friends of mine driving GT4s have (the thicker front lip makes the difference…), the car is relatively comfortable etc. With all this, I’m more and more certain that I’ll keep my 981 Spyder for a while, and that in any case I’ll wait and see until more precise information on the next generation is provided, notably on the suspension settings. For the engine sound, given what I’ve ‘heard’ so far, I don’t think the engine type matters: 3.8 NA versions will be cars to keep !

In sum, as we say in France: “Sometimes, the best is the enemy of the good”. Despite being initially made from bits and pieces, the 981 Spyder is probably one of the most homogenous open-top Porsche of the last decade. If I have no doubt that the 982 Spyder will be faster and more efficient, it’s not certain at all that it’ll be more fun to drive than the 981. And, after all, that’s what really matters, no?

Two last points to conclude:
- For GT4 CS versions, obviously, there are much less constraints re. emissions & noise, and also less marketing constraints (no competition with the Speedster, for example), so no doubt the 4.0 NA in this track version will be totally satisfactory;
- The 8 k max rev-counter ‘seen’ on some spy-shots is in my view compatible with a de-tuned version of the 4.0 NA engine: if you want to be down to 420 hp, then the max revs of this engine should be c. 7,500 rpms (and we’re then back to the ‘sound’ issue mentioned initially)…

Last edited by zorgg; 04-20-2018 at 09:09 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 08:15 AM
4nroots
Advanced

Originally Posted by zorgg
So... here we are: between the 'castration' of the GT3 4.0 engine (c. 80-100 hp less, that’s a gap !), noise regulation, particle filters etc. it might well be that Porsche has managed to produce a flat 6 NA engine that sounds like a turbo (6... or even a 4 cyl, in some circumstances). If this is the case, you might guess the issues that Porsche engineers have to deal with internally: the - probable - last NA engine fitted into a Porsche is far from satisfactory in terms of performances (less powerful than the 3.8 of the 991.1 GTS, for example), and does not sound 'right'. What’s the point of all this then? Is it worth to invest money in de-tuning what was an 'ideal' NA engine (the GT3 one) into something which will not be really bad, but certainly not as 'lively' at what we currently have in our 981 Spyders / GT4.

For several weeks now, we've been having some very strong signs, from various cleaning ladies, confirming the 4.0 NA engine is the option set by Porsche for the next Spyder / GT4 generation. But a very well introduced French journalist is also reporting that Porsche keep on saying that "an engine has been defined, but things can change before the launch". If Porsche are in the situation I describe above, you can imagine why they are saying this. And they still have time to make their mind, as the next 982 Spyder / GT4 will probably be launched only by next Spring (the street version)…

If with the de-tuned 4.0 they don't succeed in getting a nice sound etc., they might prefer to go for a finely tuned turbo (probably 4 cyl, as the turbo 6 doesn't fit, apparently). And, frankly, that would be my choice as well: I’d prefer to have a Spyder with a flat 4 turbo pushed to the limit, rather than to have an engine that is an ‘ersatz’ of a Porsche NA: at a similar level of power, the flat 4 turbo will provide better performances than a flat 6 NA engine. That would also leave the Speedster as the last Porsche with a ‘proper’ NA engine, and it’s a 911, so this might suit Porsche well in terms of image, marketing etc; - and this will definitively leave room for speculation on this model, obviously.

Coming back to the future Spyder, what also worries me is that it seems that, in terms of specs, it will be closer to a ‘soft-top GT car’. Sorry, but I’m not sure this is good news. What I particularly like in the 987/ 981 Spyders is that, precisely, they’ve been tuned for open roads and not for tracks. For example, I practically never have problems with road bumps, whereas friends of mine driving GT4s have (the thicker front lip makes the difference…), the car is relatively comfortable etc. With all this, I’m more and more certain that I’ll keep my 981 Spyder for a while, and that in any case I’ll wait and see until more precise information on the next generation is provided, notably on the suspension settings. For the engine sound, given what I’ve ‘heard’ so far, I don’t think the engine type matters: 3.8 NA versions will be cars to keep !

In sum, as we say in France: “Sometimes, the best is the enemy of the good”. Despite being initially made from bits and pieces, the 981 Spyder is probably one of the most homogenous open-top Porsche of the last decade. If I have no doubt that the 982 Spyder will be faster and more efficient, it’s not certain at all that it’ll be more fun to drive than the 981. And, after all, that’s what really matters, no?

Two last points to conclude:
- For GT4 CS versions, obviously, there are much less constraints re. emissions & noise, and also less marketing constraints (no competition with the Speedster, for example), so no doubt the 4.0 NA in this track version will be totally satisfactory;
- The 8 k max rev-counter ‘seen’ on some spy-shots is in my view compatible with a de-tuned version of the 4.0 NA engine: if you want to be down to 420 hp, then the max revs of this engine should be c. 7,500 rpms (and we’re then back to the ‘sound’ issue mentioned initially)…
Seems like they are purposely trying to keep it quiet at this point. I am willing to bet good money that the production version will be great. The engine will almost certainly not change at this point - the CS is almost ready for team testing & needs to be homologous with the street engine (at least for the GT4).
Old 04-20-2018, 10:18 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I just want to know about the final specs for the next gen car so I can make a decision to go yay or nay. If I go nay then obviously my Spyder is staying and I can start upgrading bits and pieces on it how I want to. That wait is just killing me...it's not like I am the most patient person in the world!
Old 04-20-2018, 10:43 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Agreed. There’s no point in owning these cars if you’re not going to enjoy them. I’m a bit odd in that I enjoy driving and I enjoy detailing/maintaining my fun cars.
oh I hear ya the cleaning part is actually fun, and therapeutic for me. The garage is my down time with music, and all my crazy detail products. The more I drive the Spyder not sure I can’t part with it, but hell I said the same before I sold the RS.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:50 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Hearing more and more info from credible sources that it will not debut for another year! ...Meaning we won’t see it on our shores for another year and a half. Long wait ahead!
Old 04-23-2018, 12:59 PM
Gravs
Three Wheelin'

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

New front bumper revealed. Not sure I've seen it on here before.
Attached Images  
Old 04-23-2018, 01:21 PM
blackholescion
Pro

Received 198 Likes on 107 Posts

^ Interesting if that's what makes it into production. It doesn't have the vent that GT cars have. I think I like the front scoops/openings better. Looks less like a fish. lol
Old 04-23-2018, 01:37 PM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

That's the GTS bumper, old pic. The car won't come with that bumper.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?