Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2018, 12:23 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
s

FWIW, I had the fortunate experience to spec out and order a new Macan GTS. I spent HOURS on the configurator going back and forth but when it finally arrived I was unhappy with the colour and some of the options! So I have since fallen back to my usual P-car buying habit of finding super nice lightly used ones that I save a ton of money on and, in the case of my latest Spyder, have a lot of the options I like.

Suggestion: sell your current Spyder and look around for another one with more of the options you like...
That is good advice actually. I was fortunate enough to pick up my Spyder without having ordered it and with damn near perfect specs to me but I can see the appeal of ordering one to your exact liking!
Old 03-26-2018, 01:41 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
s

FWIW, I had the fortunate experience to spec out and order a new Macan GTS. I spent HOURS on the configurator going back and forth but when it finally arrived I was unhappy with the colour and some of the options! So I have since fallen back to my usual P-car buying habit of finding super nice lightly used ones that I save a ton of money on and, in the case of my latest Spyder, have a lot of the options I like.

Suggestion: sell your current Spyder and look around for another one with more of the options you like...
I built my Macan S and 991.2 GTS cab and am very happy with them both. I really like my Spyder and would never consider selling it unless I felt the new one was both a performance and sound upgrade. Only then would I change a few things on the configuration. I realize pre-owned cars save money. However, I have a few personal reasons for not buying pre-owned and am fortunate that I don't really care about the depreciation. I'm in the process of building my GT3 Touring now and am not concerned I won't like the build. (I have a slight concern I may not love the car though, but that's another story.)
Old 03-26-2018, 03:51 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Being able to build the car to your specifications is definitely a great experience and rewarding. It also insures you get exactly what you want and nothing more. With the 987 Spyder I searched 6 months and couldn’t find my ideal spec so finally I seemed out an allocation and built my own. The 981’s seem to be optioned much better though and I don’t think I would be settling if I purchased a used one.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:38 AM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I think they both have their advantages. I liked speccing my 911 but also found it pretty stressful - like, what if I missed something or did something wrong?? My Spyder was bought used and as it happens tastefully specced. I'd have liked parking sensors but, y'know, I just make do with plain old concentration and haven't bumped into anything yet.

For me it comes down to perfection. Does one want to try for it, or will one settle for less? While the latter sounds worse, it's also arguably more likely to leave us content, as perfection is by its nature an impossible thing to hit. While I enjoyed my new-Porsche experience, I think I will buy used in future, if I buy at all. Currently enjoying my pair of noisy NA beasts so much that I feel I would deeply regret parting with either of them.
Old 03-27-2018, 09:57 AM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

I’ve had recent Porsche GT cars (991 GT3, 981 GT4, 981 Spyder) that I spec’d and that I bought used....

My favorite spec so far is Spyder I bought used, which has a lot of options I wouldn’t have spec’d Myself either because of cost or thinking it unnecessary, like CF illuminated door sills, CF shifter, Burmester stereo, rear camera, satin black wheels, Spyder classic interior w/painted GT Silver interior trim, etc. But damn if it isn’t perfect.

That’s the thing about spec’ing it yourself: you obsess over each option and do a cost benefit analysis in your head instead of just enjoying it.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:45 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis
I’ve had recent Porsche GT cars (991 GT3, 981 GT4, 981 Spyder) that I spec’d and that I bought used....

My favorite spec so far is Spyder I bought used, which has a lot of options I wouldn’t have spec’d Myself either because of cost or thinking it unnecessary, like CF illuminated door sills, CF shifter, Burmester stereo, rear camera, satin black wheels, Spyder classic interior w/painted GT Silver interior trim, etc. But damn if it isn’t perfect.

That’s the thing about spec’ing it yourself: you obsess over each option and do a cost benefit analysis in your head instead of just enjoying it.
One benefit of buying used is that you can kind of get PCCB's at a huge discount because cars with them don't seem to fetch much if any more than cars without them. And if you were building the car yourself, you probably wouldn't have checked that $7,000 box. I know I wouldn't have. But I'm happy to have them on my street-only driven car if only for the lack of brake dust and yellow calipers (which really complement the Carrera White and Platinum Satin wheels IMHO).
Old 03-27-2018, 01:39 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by Lapis

+1 Can't say enough how glad I am I picked up a relatively heavily optioned car on the floor vs. the spec I configured and submitted. Who knew illuminated CF door sills would look so awesome every time I get in the car in my dark garage? Options don't seem to retain a lot of value in used cars so a high spec lightly used car seems to be the way to go.
Old 03-27-2018, 02:33 PM
MagicRat
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Illuminated CF door sills rule.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:38 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
I think the 3.0 turbo 6 sounds pretty lousy, but whatever the Spyder in that video has in it sounds even worse to me. Sounds closest to a turbo 4.

Either way, neither are close to worthy on an auditory level to reside in a Spyder or GT car, if you ask me.

Plus; a light, uniquely revvy/linear/razor throttle/on-cam/RPM + sound crescendo are what those cars are all about, are why they're so legendary, are why people will pay huge markups for them, and are why they don't depreciate. A turbo motor will take away all of those characteristics, rendering them yes powerful, but homogenized with the rest of the high-torque/pancake flat torque curves available in every other modern high performance car.
I'm an NA guy, but idk?, look at 2rs ADM's!
Old 03-28-2018, 06:03 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

It sounds FI but i remember clip of new RSR on 991 gt3 forum that a lot assumed sounded turbo. The guy was short shifting and the sound was just bad recording. It was NA after all and they ended up making a .2-3rs when lots of experts claimed only a 2rs.

I'll admit that the tone of this engine in this clip sounds FI but we'll see?
Old 03-28-2018, 08:33 PM
4nroots
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.7L NA 6 confirmed

Old 03-28-2018, 08:40 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 4nroots
3.7L NA 6 confirmed
Best mule pics to date!
Old 03-28-2018, 09:15 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by 4nroots
3.7L NA 6 confirmed

nah... look at the exhaust position... it’s clearly a turbo!

Old 03-28-2018, 09:55 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

At least he could have slapped it on it's open top version!! May be it's a place holder for 'GT4' logo!
Old 03-28-2018, 10:17 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
At least he could have slapped it on it's open top version!! May be it's a place holder for 'GT4' logo!
Actually it's a very sophisticated hard top convertible.Well at least he will get a smile from Porsche drivers, and maybe impresses some high school girls.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?