Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2018, 10:57 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

For those with the 981 Spyder, I do wonder how much you have to gain by making the jump. Interior, suspension and appearance will be very similar to your current car with the only change being the engine which has maybe another 25 Hp. If you already have a configuration you love I would hang on to it, but that’s just me.

Then again I’m happy with my 987 Spyder and I don’t have a desire to change.
Old 03-24-2018, 11:54 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
For those with the 981 Spyder, I do wonder how much you have to gain by making the jump. Interior, suspension and appearance will be very similar to your current car with the only change being the engine which has maybe another 25 Hp. If you already have a configuration you love I would hang on to it, but that’s just me.

I love the car but I bought it off the lot. If the new one has a big enough jump in performance I would prefer to spec my own. I would change the color, add some goodies and take a few things off in the configuration. However, I still haven't fully determined precisely just how big a change would meet my personal threshold to make me spend the extra money. I do know it won't be body style though as I'm partial to mine compared to what I've seen so far in photos of the coming one.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:07 AM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
You are correct. I have also looked up a 718 Boxster GTS review emphasizing on sound. This proto sounds completely different. Off throttle overrun of GTS and the prototype couldn't be more different. GTS sounds awful. Very brief on-throttle sound is very different from GTS as well. The new euro regs are hard on the sound level. The emissions regs also impact the note of the sound as well. So, don't expect it to sound like 981 version. We will get a better and longer clip soon. I think I like what I am hearing.
Well, the exhaust is completely different from the GTS as you can see. It looks to be fully separated from side to side as opposed to merging into a single double tipped outlet piece. So it's always going to sound different from the regular 718 cars, and Porsche knows people aren't too keen on the sound so they probably put some work into making the most of this one.

The trouble with that video is that beyond the exhaust note itself you can still hear (relatively clearly) the typical 718 sound that is completely different from any flat 6 due to, well, two less cylinders and the resulting firing order being different. The Spyder did sound like the sport exhaust was on/open.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:40 AM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
How did you miss out? There are 981 Spyders out there for sale. 3 at Porsche San Diego right now. Go buy one.
missed out in specing my own. Hopefully will do that with the 718 Spyder. Fingers crossed 🤞
Old 03-25-2018, 04:02 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
And a Turbo S sounds like crap.
One of the worst engines that I've ever heard on the street.
Very bland sound and also boring to drive (relatively). Sad as the T/TS are so impeccably fast, they just lack visceral soul.

You are correct. I have also looked up a 718 Boxster GTS review emphasizing on sound. This proto sounds completely different. Off throttle overrun of GTS and the prototype couldn't be more different. GTS sounds awful. Very brief on-throttle sound is very different from GTS as well. The new euro regs are hard on the sound level. The emissions regs also impact the note of the sound as well. So, don't expect it to sound like 981 version. We will get a better and longer clip soon. I think I like what I am hearing.

It should be running the production version of the engine since it is pretty late in the testing phase. Judging by how complete it looks and how brazenly they let it loose on the wild, I would say the launch is imminent. And, gentlemen, don't cancel your deposit yet! It is definitely NA; and, a GT product! We will know real soon.
I dunno. On one hand, it doesn’t sound like a flat 6, especially not an N/A flat 6. Maybe, optimistically, Porsche really clogged up the exhaust system and added more corked up mufflers to throw us off.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:34 AM
Boxster7
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

I totally agree. I prefer the interior on my car compared to the 718, I especially don’t like the new air vents and the Chrono clock stuck back on top the dash.
also prefer the back end on the 981.
I was lucky enough to spec mine, so got the colour / interior just as I wanted.
It’s a keeper that I plan to put the miles on. 14k and counting so far.

In other news, I have got a letter into my local OPC for the next GT4, so will see how that goes !

Its all good though, whatever version you’ve got :-)
Old 03-25-2018, 12:52 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by JCviggen
..........Porsche knows people aren't too keen on the sound so they probably put some work into making the most of this one.
Yes, this statement is only partly true. People who have bought one, don't care how it sounds; or, chose overall performance package over sound. Only NA-fanatics disavow it. If the proto is indeed a turbo-4, it has come a long way from rest of the 982 family, based on the short few seconds of clip.

Originally Posted by K-A
I dunno. On one hand, it doesn’t sound like a flat 6, especially not an N/A flat 6. Maybe, optimistically, Porsche really clogged up the exhaust system and added more corked up mufflers to throw us off.
It's a possibility though a long shot. Knowing how critical it is for Spyderphiles (just made this up!) that the next gen ought to be NA and great sounding, Porsche would love to throw a wrench to mess us up! And then, throw a pleasant bombshell at launch! Man, wouldn't that be hilarious!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:11 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Yes, this statement is only partly true. People who have bought one, don't care how it sounds; or, chose overall performance package over sound. Only NA-fanatics disavow it. If the proto is indeed a turbo-4, it has come a long way from rest of the 982 family, based on the short few seconds of clip.

It's a possibility though a long shot. Knowing how critical it is for Spyderphiles (just made this up!) that the next gen ought to be NA and great sounding, Porsche would love to throw a wrench to mess us up! And then, throw a pleasant bombshell at launch! Man, wouldn't that be hilarious!
Find it a little hard to believe they'd go out of their way to create negative press.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:29 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

As a general rule, your advice is logical. Depreciation alone would make an "upgrade" highly questionable, but the Spyder is the exception to the rule since it doesn't depreciate much. So then it depends on whether or not the 982 Spyder is really an upgrade. If it has a detuned GT3 engine I'd say yes, but if it is 4cyl turbo, I'd say no way. Given the direction of engine development, a GT4 with a GT3 engine would be a car that I would never sell.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:08 PM
Fractal-Spyder
Racer

Received 107 Likes on 76 Posts

Originally Posted by JAM2

I have a pretty reliable source who originally said that he didn’t think it was going to be NA. Then out of the blue, he sent me a message about 6-8 week’s ago that 4.0l is happening. Hence why I am 1st in line at my local dealership for this and already traded my 981. Let’s hope I don’t regret that decision...
I am curious about your source... I am assuming your source is in the 'building cleaning' business in Stuttgart? If so, can you ping your source once more and see what the cleaning lady says about the NA possibility?

Thanks.
Old 03-25-2018, 02:40 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder
I am curious about your source... I am assuming your source is in the 'building cleaning' business in Stuttgart? If so, can you ping your source once more and see what the cleaning lady says about the NA possibility?

Thanks.
Yes, but did you know that the "cleaning lady" is a former KGB agent with a Masters in Mechanical Engineering?
Old 03-25-2018, 06:26 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

I would run to the dealer with a wheelbarrow full of cash and scotch if there was a full fat 500hp 9k rpm GT3 4L 718 GT4/Spyder. Too bad it'll never happen cause 911. Porsche product marketing can call it a "detuned GT3 engine" if they like but realistically once they take 80-90hp out of the engine and snip 1k rpm off the redline @ ~410-420hp it'll be an incremental upgrade over the 981. I'm sure the 718 Spyder will be faster, better handling, etc but for a car not about the numbers I'm not sure bumping a few of those stats is going to suddenly make a massively more enjoyable car. If you have a 981 Spyder specced to your liking the 718 probably won't deliver that much new (maybe pdk?) and if you are shopping for one now I wouldn't let the fantasy that there's a 500hp firebreather around the corner dissuade you from picking up a 981 now.
Old 03-25-2018, 08:36 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Selo
Find it a little hard to believe they'd go out of their way to create negative press.
It's not about creating negative press during the testing phase. Spyder is fast becoming a legend on its own without any racing pedigree. With each generation it seems to be getting better (despite not knowing what's in store with 982). So, they have a playful reason to mess with the expectations; they know what's coming, on the upside. Also, manufacturers love to keep the best bits under wraps until the launch. Remember Carrera GT? No one saw it coming! For the record, I don't believe that's the case here. The proto is running, in my view, production spec engine.

Originally Posted by ajw45
............. the 718 Spyder will be faster, better handling, etc but for a car not about the numbers I'm not sure bumping a few of those stats is going to suddenly make a massively more enjoyable car. ......
You are right; it's not about #s. Then why does it matter how much HP/torque it gains? However, there are other things that could make it yet another hit: a GT. Stiffer chassis. Number of other improvements. Each generation almost always betters the one before.
Old 03-25-2018, 09:37 PM
JAM2
Rennlist Member

Received 418 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by Fractal-Spyder

Thanks.
my cleaner is on notice.
Old 03-26-2018, 11:10 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

s
Originally Posted by Closertotruth

I love the car but I bought it off the lot. If the new one has a big enough jump in performance I would prefer to spec my own. I would change the color, add some goodies and take a few things off in the configuration. However, I still haven't fully determined precisely just how big a change would meet my personal threshold to make me spend the extra money. I do know it won't be body style though as I'm partial to mine compared to what I've seen so far in photos of the coming one.
Originally Posted by Mash

missed out in specing my own. Hopefully will do that with the 718 Spyder. Fingers crossed ��
FWIW, I had the fortunate experience to spec out and order a new Macan GTS. I spent HOURS on the configurator going back and forth but when it finally arrived I was unhappy with the colour and some of the options! So I have since fallen back to my usual P-car buying habit of finding super nice lightly used ones that I save a ton of money on and, in the case of my latest Spyder, have a lot of the options I like.

Suggestion: sell your current Spyder and look around for another one with more of the options you like...

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?