Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Is it possible that the motor, say a 4.0, is NA will be reconfigured to meet EU emissions standards with a significant hp deficit?
Old 03-20-2018, 07:25 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

well given the fact that VW execs, including the CEO flat out lied to the USG during congressional hearings on the emissions scandal... excuse me if I don’t believe Mr. Bloom. He is a VW exec after all.
Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. The motivations to lie about the emissions scandal are pretty evident to all, but why would Bloom intentionally lie about a forthcoming new product intro at a gathering of the Porsche faithful, no less, with other Porsche dignitaries in attendance? Makes no sense. We're not talking about billions of dollars at stake like in the emissions scandal which would serve as ample justification (for some) to lie. Here, Bloom had no such incentive to lie that I can think of. In fact, wouldn't it have made more sense for him to tell Eduardo, "Turbo," if, indeed, it will be turbo? That would be a great way to maybe help prop up faltering 718 sales by letting everyone know that their upcoming 718 halo car would have forced induction. When you instead tell everyone, well, yes, the next Spyder will be a 718 technically but we're ditching the turbo-4 that underpins the entire 718 Boxster/Cayman lineup and instead we're going to replace it with a NA engine instead, what kind of signal does that send about how Porsche feels about the engine that currently comes in the 718? Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the turbo-4, right?

Bloom's reply is a total head-scratcher IMO if the car is turbo. No easy way to explain it, because as Buteo so correctly points out above, he didn't even have to volunteer this info or answer Eduardo's question. He could have easily ducked it entirely by giving the ole' party line of, "We don't really comment on future model introductions, blah, blah, blah." He's probably constantly bombarded by people trying to get him to divulge slivers of info and as head of PAG he has to be extremely adept at deflecting these types of questions.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:28 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,639 Likes on 1,122 Posts

The video's sound is probably doctored by someone having one or more 981 Spyders for sale.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:34 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Not exactly an apples-to-apples comparison. The motivations to lie about the emissions scandal are pretty evident to all, but why would Bloom intentionally lie about a forthcoming new product intro at a gathering of the Porsche faithful, no less, with other Porsche dignitaries in attendance? Makes no sense. We're not talking about billions of dollars at stake like in the emissions scandal which would serve as ample justification (for some) to lie. Here, Bloom had no such incentive to lie that I can think of. In fact, wouldn't it have made more sense for him to tell Eduardo, "Turbo," if, indeed, it will be turbo? That would be a great way to maybe help prop up faltering 718 sales by letting everyone know that their upcoming 718 halo car would have forced induction. When you instead tell everyone, well, yes, the next Spyder will be a 718 technically but we're ditching the turbo-4 that underpins the entire 718 Boxster/Cayman lineup and instead we're going to replace it with a NA engine instead, what kind of signal does that send about how Porsche feels about the engine that currently comes in the 718? Not exactly a ringing endorsement of the turbo-4, right?

Bloom's reply is a total head-scratcher IMO if the car is turbo. No easy way to explain it, because as Buteo so correctly points out above, he didn't even have to volunteer this info or answer Eduardo's question. He could have easily ducked it entirely by giving the ole' party line of, "We don't really comment on future model introductions, blah, blah, blah." He's probably constantly bombarded by people trying to get him to divulge slivers of info and as head of PAG he has to be extremely adept at deflecting these types of questions.
Your guess is as good as mine, but i assume it’s the same reason why AP said ‘we’ll make enough GT3s for everyone that wants one’. I mean, why did AP make that statement knowing that GT3 production would be over in 2018? Why did VW deny they were cheating on emissions when they knew CARB had the tests? If you read the testimony by VW US execs, it was because corporate wanted to sell what was at hand, and deal with the fines later. Shrugs, but who knows the true motivations beside making money.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:28 PM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
Is it possible that the motor, say a 4.0, is NA will be reconfigured to meet EU emissions standards with a significant hp deficit?
Originally Posted by Five12Free

I mean, why did AP make that statement knowing that GT3 production would be over in 2018?
It APPEARS that the GT3RS will continue into 2019 after the factory closes during the summer. 992 model cutover plus the required adoption particulate filter for Europe is driving this.. Batch 1 cars will not have a particulate filter meaning delivered before factory shut down. All Batch 2 cars will. (from RS allocation thread)

So it SEEMS Porsche will have a 4.0 that be sold into 2019 and a path to use in the 718 GT4/Spyder. But will they? If they do I would assume they will not mess with the engine internals, just smaller throttle bodies/software. I ASSUME price jump would be greater than from 987 to 981 Spyder but the market is there....for now.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:48 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
I would like to agree with you but it doesn't make sense for Porsche to build the 718 platform around the 4 pot motor and then put the nat asp flat 6 in the top of the line versions. Then as a visual signature to distinguish between nat asp motor and turbo we have the different exhaust layout. And that video did not sound ANYTHING like how my flat 6 sounds. So I am convinced but I am leaving that hopeful door open that I am wrong!
1. Porsche put the 911 motor in the existing 981 spyder. Yes, they were both sixes -- but I don't think the number of cylinders is relevant here. I disagree that it undermines the 4 pot.
2. Exhaust layout has literally absolutely nothing to do with motor.
3. The video is at like 15 mph -- any sound from the video is tossed out in terms of clues to support any type of engine judgement. It could be a v8 and sound like that.

I agree with Eduardo that it will not be a 4 pot. I think it will either be a 3.0T, or a N/A 4.0 with engine modifications. The only thing at all that makes me think of any possibility of a 4 pot is the fact that the original 718 did have a 4 cylinder, and that does feel a bit weird going against it. So if they put a 4 pot into it... it's because they don't want to go against the history of the name. Man they would really be digging their feet in with the 4 pot if they do that.

It's in my best interest here if they do the 4 pot... obviously =)

Last edited by guab; 03-21-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:37 AM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by il pirata
It APPEARS that the GT3RS will continue into 2019 after the factory closes during the summer. 992 model cutover plus the required adoption particulate filter for Europe is driving this.. Batch 1 cars will not have a particulate filter meaning delivered before factory shut down. All Batch 2 cars will. (from RS allocation thread)

So it SEEMS Porsche will have a 4.0 that be sold into 2019 and a path to use in the 718 GT4/Spyder. But will they? If they do I would assume they will not mess with the engine internals, just smaller throttle bodies/software. I ASSUME price jump would be greater than from 987 to 981 Spyder but the market is there....for now.
the 4.0L GT3RS is only being made in 2019 for the US. All euro GT3(RS)s are being made for 2018. AP even stated in Geneva that they haven’t been able to get it Euro compliant yet. I doubt they would be moving forward with a 4.0L GT4/Spyder for 2019 if they can’t even do it for the GT3. Again, 2018 is the last year for all GT3 and GT3RS for the Europeon market. Pretty strong evidence against a 4.0l spyder/gt4 for 2019.
Old 03-21-2018, 10:05 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Buteo

Spot on

Does Porsche have a history of releasing upcoming model details at public Q and A sessions? If no, why would Porsche want to drop that news at a Q and A event. Much easier to say what’s needed to appease the masses of an unscripted event, avoid any controversy, and then over a year later state that due to regulators etc, they had to abort those plans and move forward with a turbo.
But the emission regulations are already in place through 2025. So to state that NA was abandoned due to regulations would be laughed at. The best response would have been that all options are on the table. The golden rule in marketing is to under promise and over deliver. We are all just guessing at this point, but I expect the 982 GT4 to have a NA engine.
Old 03-21-2018, 02:39 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Correct. Regulations compliance are planned events. Manufacturers plan their product road map in lock-step few years in advance. Specs, especially powertrain, at a higher level, are mapped out pretty early as well. We had numerous indications, covert and overt, that NA was the deal. Unless something changed significantly, NA will happen. We will look back shortly at all these trepidations and laugh!
Old 03-21-2018, 03:33 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Correct. Regulations compliance are planned events. Manufacturers plan their product road map in lock-step few years in advance. Specs, especially powertrain, at a higher level, are mapped out pretty early as well. We had numerous indications, covert and overt, that NA was the deal. Unless something changed significantly, NA will happen. We will look back shortly at all these trepidations and laugh!
Somewhat like these when the 981 GT4 was in development.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mot...ne-report/amp/

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.dig...orsepower/amp/

https://www.tflcar.com/2014/07/twin-...he-cayman-gt4/

Magazines have a history of being inaccurate with this car and it’s powertrain/development.
Old 03-21-2018, 04:29 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I feel like nothing is clear until Porsche makes the announcement. The video kind of sounds like a 4 or maybe not a NA engine.....???? or does Porsche run the cars differently during testing???...... Either way i'll keep eating my popcorn!
Old 03-21-2018, 07:21 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

The sound track that launched a thousand ships lol. I feared it was a turbo. I'm little more sure now but not certain yet. How much would a 4.0 Spyder cost? .
Old 03-21-2018, 08:13 PM
bk_911
Rennlist Member

Received 239 Likes on 104 Posts

The more I listen to the video the more I think turbo 6.

It seems logical that the gt4 / spyder have the carrera engine. It would follow the same formula:

Carrera engine in mid engine chassis + some cosmetic changes = profit

Of course the GT4 being the track ready model so it gets some additional fun stuff.

If I rank probability I'd say this:

50% - 6 pot turbo
49% - 4 banger
1% - NA engine (gt3 etc etc)
Old 03-21-2018, 08:48 PM
rloggie
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it's a turbo four, I'll keep the 981, if it's an NA I'll buy it. But if its a turbo six with over 400 HP which seems likely, then I'll be in a fix. The turbo six would be an easy ecu change for big HP which sounds fun. If it is a turbo six what does that do to the value of the 981 NA Spyder? Still increase?
Old 03-21-2018, 09:38 PM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I've driven the base turbo 3.0 Carrera engine and it's a fun engine, but not as fun as the NA 3.8 that's in the 981 Spyder.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?