Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2018, 11:04 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I still don't think there's any situation where we end up with a turbo 4 in this thing. That video did not provide anywhere near enough sound to make a judgement.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:12 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

Originally Posted by Gatte
On closer inspection, the rear bumper on this car is quite different from the previous spyshots. The depression where the license plate is held is much more narrower in width than the previous test mules. Not sure what's the reason for that.
Its a USA spec car... has the narrower plate recession in the bumper and has Amber side marker lights.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Five12Free

thats always the sense I get with all of AP’s comments, they’re in context of the GT3.
Good point.
Old 03-20-2018, 11:37 AM
Diablo Dude
Race Car

Received 2,073 Likes on 1,167 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Just wondering from some of the veterans here -- guys that have been around here much longer than most of us -- if you guys recall another instance in Porsche's history where the party line coming out of the company indicated in the most certain of terms that they were heading down path A, but what they ended up doing was heading down path B? If this car does turn out to be turbo, are there other examples of this magnitude that come to mind where high level Porsche folks -- guys that should know what they're talking about and are bankable -- either intentionally or unintentionally got things so dead wrong? Just curious if there is precedent. I mean, a turbo 982 Spyder would be as shocking a development as the outcome in our last election, right, given ALL the indications that this car was destined to be NA?
Can you please specify which "indications" have been out there that specifically stated that this car was destined to be NA?
Old 03-20-2018, 11:43 AM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
partial to the Titan IPA but I'd gladly consume this as well
Titan is great! I only chose Hercules because we may need something a little stronger to get that bird down.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:23 PM
JCviggen
Rennlist Member

Received 1,502 Likes on 565 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
This could explain how all gt3 production is finished by dec 2018.. although I do wonder about the gt3rs.. is that also done??
All he said is that they will deliver all the EU cars before the rules kick in and only then start building the RS for the rest of the world. But how long their production run will last in total I don't know. Not usually very long anyway.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:52 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
I still don't think there's any situation where we end up with a turbo 4 in this thing. That video did not provide anywhere near enough sound to make a judgement.
I would like to agree with you but it doesn't make sense for Porsche to build the 718 platform around the 4 pot motor and then put the nat asp flat 6 in the top of the line versions. Then as a visual signature to distinguish between nat asp motor and turbo we have the different exhaust layout. And that video did not sound ANYTHING like how my flat 6 sounds. So I am convinced but I am leaving that hopeful door open that I am wrong!
Old 03-20-2018, 02:38 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Diablo Dude
Can you please specify which "indications" have been out there that specifically stated that this car was destined to be NA?
Wow, DD, not sure if you are really genuinely curious or actually questioning whether all the tea leaves have pointed to NA?? Anyone who has been following along knows that every major car rag has run articles over the past 9 months indicating that all signs point to NA with some of them quoting various high level Porsche execs in their reports, including AP and other engineering and product execs -- people who are certainly in a position to know this sort of thing. A long while back in one of my posts I went through and extracted quotes from a laundry list of these rags, with the quotes from the execs themselves. I can try to go back and dig that out, but I think it's beyond dispute that all indications coming from the automotive press and Porsche itself have been NA, the most obvious example perhaps being Eduardo's Q&A with Dr. Oliver Bloom, CEO of PAG, recounted by Eduardo here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...aspirated.html

Originally Posted by Z356
I asked Dr. Oliver Blume, CEO of PAG, a question at a public Q & A
session on Monday (July 10th) at the 2017 PCA Parade in Spokane
that might interest some of you here.
. . . .

It was in front of a multitude of enthusiasts & Porsche notables attending
the Parade that included Dr. Wolfgang Porsche & former PCNA CEO Detlev
von Platen.

. . . .

And there was no fudging on the straight & frank response I received
from Herr Blume:

My Question: 'Will the upcoming 718 Boxster Spyder be Turbocharged or Naturaly Aspirated?'

His Answer: 'Naturarily Aspirated'!

That is good news!

Saludos,
Eduardo
Presently back in Scottsdale
Bloom will have some explaining to do if this thing turns out to be a turbo!

I hope Eduardo, with his infinite connections, can corner Bloom at some future event and say, "Hey, WTF?" if the 982 Spyder has forced induction.
Old 03-20-2018, 02:45 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by digitalrurouni
Car looks good! That front gap is back yay! . . . . .
Yes, indeed! I was getting concerned that it might be left off the next Spyder since all prior mules didn't have that center grill GT-car style intake, but my fears were for naught. It looks like all you guys (i.e. Donovan, et al.) claiming that we should all just chillax because these mules were not running finalized bumpers were dead on.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:04 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
This.

We shouldn't get our knickers in a knot at his point. We'll know soon enough.
Old 03-20-2018, 03:08 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by CaymanSinAR
Ha! Don't I wish. Guess that makes me the 1% in Porsche terms.
Since there are many Porsches for sale for under $30K, you don't have to be wealthy to own one. My observation was with respect to owners of new 911s, who have a median income of over $400K.
Old 03-20-2018, 04:30 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

I’m really shocked the YouTube video hasn’t made the news yet... maybe it’s a copyright issue???
Old 03-20-2018, 05:11 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,312 Likes on 784 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Wow, DD, not sure if you are really genuinely curious or actually questioning whether all the tea leaves have pointed to NA?? Anyone who has been following along knows that every major car rag has run articles over the past 9 months indicating that all signs point to NA with some of them quoting various high level Porsche execs in their reports, including AP and other engineering and product execs -- people who are certainly in a position to know this sort of thing. A long while back in one of my posts I went through and extracted quotes from a laundry list of these rags, with the quotes from the execs themselves. I can try to go back and dig that out, but I think it's beyond dispute that all indications coming from the automotive press and Porsche itself have been NA, the most obvious example perhaps being Eduardo's Q&A with Dr. Oliver Bloom, CEO of PAG, recounted by Eduardo here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...aspirated.html

Bloom will have some explaining to do if this thing turns out to be a turbo!

I hope Eduardo, with his infinite connections, can corner Bloom at some future event and say, "Hey, WTF?" if the 982 Spyder has forced induction.
Being the detective that I am, I believe I have found the deception. Blume said it will be naturarily aspirated. That's not even a thing.
Old 03-20-2018, 05:17 PM
Five12Free
Rennlist Member

Received 199 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Being the detective that I am, I believe I have found the deception. Bloom said it will be naturarily aspirated. That's not even a thing.
well given the fact that VW execs, including the CEO flat out lied to the USG during congressional hearings on the emissions scandal... excuse me if I don’t believe Mr. Bloom. He is a VW exec after all.
Old 03-20-2018, 06:32 PM
Buteo
Three Wheelin'

Received 41 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
Being the detective that I am, I believe I have found the deception. Blume said it will be naturarily aspirated. That's not even a thing.
Spot on

Does Porsche have a history of releasing upcoming model details at public Q and A sessions? If no, why would Porsche want to drop that news at a Q and A event. Much easier to say what’s needed to appease the masses of an unscripted event, avoid any controversy, and then over a year later state that due to regulators etc, they had to abort those plans and move forward with a turbo.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?