Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2019, 07:26 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Only 1 Buck thanks much for posting those great photos. They all look great. Going to be a tough assignment picking a color. I’m already blessed enough to have a MB GT3, White metallic GTS Cab, and Silver Targa so maybe a G Red or Chalk but the new blue is quite eye catching. Definite first word prob. Not a wrong choice in any of your photos. Great shots.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:49 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

the pictures I posted all came courtesy of the PCA Facebook postings...
Old 07-10-2019, 01:16 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

I saw a PTS 981 Spyder in Pantone 296C that looked awesome. A much darker blue than the Gentian it seems. The Gentian looked great in the configurator but was too bright when I saw pics in the real world. Almost like Sapphire.
Old 07-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by Mash

I’ve always had my heart set on GT silver with classic red interior, But Jesus this Blue is making it hard. Wow 😲 it sure looks MEGA in this picture above.
this Blue with a non black roof would be a killer, what are roof color options !
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-11-2019)
Old 07-10-2019, 02:59 PM
Richard.
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 124 Posts

RED looks good too, any other pics of red ? Red with red hood looks better than you think too
Old 07-10-2019, 03:57 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Exactly. You can’t get greedy! Remember:
Even auto stop/start appears to have a work-around that will allow one to defeat it.

So if the sound turns out to be more whimper than roar (which I seriously doubt), don’t lose sight of all these other positive factors.
Absolutely correct, Nick. Thanks for that summary of items we've been discussing and hoping for, in the last few years. This iteration is pretty much what we've asked for. We need to be patient and wait to hear the US-spec. Even if the inert filter dilutes the sound a bit, might still sound better than the Euro-spec. And, the tuners will figure out a way to get rid of it and maintain CARB-compliance. We've reasons to be hopeful. I won't bitch and moan until I hear the US-spec!

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
For North America the 718 Spyder/GT4 will hit showrooms week 7 of 2020. Making it a 2020 MY. North American Production starts the week of October 14th, 2019. So that means they will be doing a Port hold until Week 7 (Feb 2020).
Correct. The deliveries scheduled this year are mostly in Europe and a few other countries. These could be '19; not sure. We'll know. There doesn't seem to any indication for '22 production. Of course, that's a long way out.
Old 07-10-2019, 06:42 PM
Jamie140
Nordschleife Master

Received 709 Likes on 336 Posts

I’ve always had my heart set on GT silver with classic red interior, But Jesus this Blue is making it hard. Wow 😲 it sure looks MEGA in this picture above.
You could do that with classic red interior and have a superman car!! Epic.
Old 07-10-2019, 07:28 PM
AlpineR
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Jamie140

You mean Spider Man of course
Old 07-11-2019, 01:51 AM
DFW01TT
Burning Brakes

Received 522 Likes on 311 Posts

Anyone else struggling with the choice between the metallic Carrara White, Gentian Blue and GT Silver?
I'm sold on the Spyder Classic interior, but I'm having trouble with the exterior, any one of them would please me when I walk into the garage in the morning.
#FirstWorldProblems
Old 07-11-2019, 12:27 PM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by DFW01TT
Anyone else struggling with the choice between the metallic Carrara White, Gentian Blue and GT Silver?
I'm sold on the Spyder Classic interior, but I'm having trouble with the exterior, any one of them would please me when I walk into the garage in the morning.
#FirstWorldProblems

Top picks if you ask me!
Old 07-11-2019, 12:30 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Top picks if you ask me!
If the classic interior is the starting point, I'd stick with the Carrara White or GT Silver. That Gentian blue with red interior and calipers would be too much for me to look at every day.
Old 07-11-2019, 02:39 PM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 313 Likes on 214 Posts

Originally Posted by SpyderSenseOC
If the classic interior is the starting point, I'd stick with the Carrara White or GT Silver. That Gentian blue with red interior and calipers would be too much for me to look at every day.
Im thinking maybe classic interior w black exterior along w black calipers and blacked out Porsche script in back. Also black or satin platinum wheels.
Old 07-11-2019, 03:50 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts
Default A few words about 'Spyder Classic Interior' option...

Originally Posted by Jamie140
Originally Posted by AlpineR
You mean Spider Man of course
A few of us have done that before...and the 'Blue' with red interior is quite stunning.
And indeed it's 'Spider Man' since there is no 'Yellow'...unless you add PCCBs!

But on a more serious note, I must tell you that regrettably I am not opting for the 'Bordeaux' red interior of the current
718 Spyder 'Classic Interior' Package.

Back in 2011 when I custom ordered the MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder the red leather option was the
more rich & vibrant 'Carrera Red'.

Since then, Porsche interior color designers have eliminated this leather hue (which was the more
expensive & higher quality 'Natural Leather' grade) and gone with a darker 'wine' colored leather - first
with something called 'Garnet Red' in early 2014 & now with 'Bordeaux Red' which replaced 'Garnet'
soon after its introduction. 'Bordeaux Red' is for sure a Merlot/Cabernet wine red color that is not at
all like the brighter 'Carrera Red'. And sadly it is NOT a higher grade 'Natural' leather (like 'Espresso'
was in the 991). I had 'Bordeaux Red' in my recent 991.2 Carrera S & it left me a little 'cold' because
of it's almost purplish somber undertones. It is also deceiving in photos. It tends to look better in photos
than in reality.

'Carrera Red' (above on my 987 Spyder) was, on the other hand, difficult to photographed because of the color
'saturation' issues with most camera lenses. So it looked sort of lousy in most casual photos. But was very attractive
in person.

On a final note about the 718's 'Spyder Classic Package' I am surprised they are offering the dash in 'Bordeaux Red'.
As most of you know, it's best to avoid lighter colored dashes to minimized reflection on the windshield which could
be less than optimal for driving in the sun.

I suffered a bit of that 'reflection' problem with the 'Carrera Red' dash on my 2012 987 Boxster Spyder.
The 718 version appears to duplicate the 'Classic' color scheme offered on the 2016 981 Spyder (below).
But perhaps that is not a problem for most folks.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

PS Off-topic. But I just received at my AZ home yesterday my newly purchased 2017 Ferrari 488 Spider.
It is simply a stunning color combination. And the interior is the highest quality 'Poltrona Frau' leather.
To say 'I am thrilled!' is a massive understatement.

The following 2 users liked this post by Z356:
DFW01TT (07-13-2019), evilfij (07-13-2019)
Old 07-11-2019, 04:32 PM
Mash
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 22 Posts

Thank you Eduardo for your detailed write up on the difference in various reds used by Porsche.

The dash bored reflection when driving in the sun is a common issue that has been raised by several people. Shame. I would have rather seen the top of the dash in black, and the rest of the cabin in classic red as is. That’s actually how the original 718 Spyder was.

I have also debated this issue a lot in my mind, on which way to go with the GT silver exterior. Either classic red interior or black with red stitching. A part of me wants that classic heritage look, and on the flip side of the coin, I like the black with red stitching a lot, it works well with the car as a GT sports car.

Decisions decisions decisions
Old 07-11-2019, 08:22 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Z356
Back in 2011 when I custom ordered the MY2012 987 Boxster Spyder the red leather option was the
more rich & vibrant 'Carrera Red'. . . . .

Since then, Porsche interior color designers have eliminated this leather hue (which was the more
expensive & higher quality 'Natural Leather' grade) and gone with a darker 'wine' colored leather - first
with something called 'Garnet Red' in early 2014
& now with 'Bordeaux Red' which replaced 'Garnet'
soon after its introduction.
Eduardo, above you indicated that Garnet Red, which came in the 981 Spyder Classic interior, is a darker color than the Carrera Red in your 987 Spyder. It's my understanding that Carrera Red is the same as Garnet Red, based on the points below, so I'd be curious to get your thoughts since you are our resident color expert:

1. When I took delivery of my Spyder I asked my SA to save for me all the pre-delivery inspection (PDI) paperwork that accompanied my car when it arrived at the dealership from the port. Below is a photo of one such PDI document which specifies in German the exterior color as “GT-Silbermetallic,” which is obviously GT Silver, and the interior color not as Garnet Red, but as “Carrerarot/Schwarz,” which is obviously Carrera Red/Black. There is no mention of Garnet Red in any of my German PDI paperwork -- just "Carrerarot" -- leading me to believe that the factory referred to the color internally as Carrera Red and externally as Garnet Red, at least in some markets like North America. If Carrera Red and Garnet Red are not the same, then it's odd that my PDI paperwork would specify Carrera Red rather than Garnet Red. It seems the company uses both terms interchangeably to describe the same color.

2. As you note, Carerra Red was offered on the 987 Spyder as a higher grade Natural Leather, just as the Garnet Red appearing in the 981 Spyder Classic interior is also a Natural Leather. Coincidence? It seems unlikely.

3. Others are also of the belief that Carrera Red and Garnet Red are identical, for example:

"Garnet Red = Carrera Red for Porsche. In Germany, Porsche has for some unknown reason changed the name of "Carrerarot" to "Granatrot" and this gets translated to "Garnet red". It's exactly the same as Carrera red. . . . .But trust me... Porsche's garnet red is Carrera red....
. . . .
"It's nothing more than a namechange IMO. A friend if [sic] mine in Belgium has taken delivery of his 991 TTS and he has "granatrot" interior according to his specsheet, while on his ordersheet is "Carrerarot". He said it is exactly the same as the carrera red interior of a Cayman at his dealership."

From: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-interior.html

Like this individual I, too, have seen Carrera Red in the flesh on multiple occasions and each time I could have sworn it was identical to my Garnet Red interior, although admittedly I didn’t have my Spyder in close proximity to compare them relatively side-by-side. Also, like this individual's friend, I, too, have paperwork which refers to both colors interchangeably as if they are one and the same color.

Regarding the possibility of Porsche simply having changed the name of the color from Carrera Red to Garnet Red, do you know of any other prior instances where Porsche has changed the name of a color from x to y?

On a final note about the 718's 'Spyder Classic Package' I am surprised they are offering the dash in 'Bordeaux Red'.
As most of you know, it's best to avoid lighter colored dashes to minimized reflection on the windshield which could be less than optimal for driving in the sun. . . . .
No surprise to me that the dash on the 982 is being offered in Bordeaux since the dash on the 981 was also offered in red. It would have been more of surprise IMO if Porsche had changed precedent from the 981 and gone with a black dash in the 982 Spyder Classic interior.

PS Off-topic. But I just received at my AZ home yesterday my newly purchased 2017 Ferrari 488 Spider.
It is simply a stunning color combination. And the interior is the highest quality 'Poltrona Frau' leather.
To say 'I am thrilled!' is a massive understatement.

Big congrats! I don't think any of us would be seriously opposed to pics (and driving impressions) of your new beauty if you are so inclined to post some here

The dash bored reflection when driving in the sun is a common issue that has been raised by several people. Shame. I would have rather seen the top of the dash in black, and the rest of the cabin in classic red as is. . . . .
Mash, FWIW, I have not had any problems with the reflection of my Garnet Red dash on the windshield. I would tell anyone who is on the fence about a red interior to not let the reflection issue dissuade them (tan dash may be a different story, but I can't speak to that). I’ve compared notes with other 981 Spyder owners who have the Spyder Classic interior and none of them have reported any negative comments or concerns about reflection. Given that the Bordeaux dash in the 982 Spyder Classic interior is even darker than the Garnet Red in the 981 Spyder Classic interior, I don’t see reflection being a problem at all on the 982. My $0.02.

I have also debated this issue a lot in my mind, on which way to go with the GT silver exterior. Either classic red interior or black with red stitching.
Can't go wrong with either, but let me give you my spiel on Spyder Classic, if I may, as I'm a huge fan and personally biased.

First, there are a lot of black interiors out there. Not so when it comes to red. Utterly unique. So there's that.

Then there's HERITAGE: If you've already decided that GT is your color, then a red interior is so damn classic and harkens back to the 550/718 Spyders of yesterday. The 982 Spyder you are considering is, after all, a (very) distant relative of those early Spyder cars and if, like me, you enjoy and appreciate Porsche's early Spyder racing history, then paying tribute to those early cars with a heritage color scheme is a very nice touch, indeed.

It's hardly a coincidence that when Porsche released years ago a Heritage Collection of 1:43 models, each donned the classic silver and red:

And then factor in the value of the Spyder Classic interior itself. You're getting a bespoke interior package with tons of alcantara. When you take a look at what Porsche charges separately for individual alcantara interior upgrades and then factor in just how much alcantara is generously lavished throughout the entire Spyder Classic interior and included as part of the package, you come to realize it's a helluva bargain. Door panels, steering wheel, shifter and boot, seat inserts, lower dash, etc., etc.

OK, that's my hard sell
The following users liked this post:
DFW01TT (07-12-2019)

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?