Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

982 GT4 Spyder?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

GIMME!
Old 06-26-2019, 08:46 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts
Default Some Rear-end details: 981 v. 982

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
IMHO looks odd.
The third brake light on cars has always been an odd appendage to begin with giving car companies fits as to how best to seamlessly integrate it in the overall design so it doesn't stick out like the proverbial sore thumb (certainly Porsche's execution of the center rear brake light on the 992 has drawn its fair share of criticism). So it's interesting that Porsche decided to go with a contrasting color for the light on the 982, which actually draws more attention to itself and causes it to stand out. I prefer the relative anonymity of the light achieved through body-color.

Originally Posted by n4v4nod
I get the feeling the only reason they did it is to differentiate from the 981 more... so when you see it from a distance you know its a 718.
Could be, although I suspect no one will have any problems differentiating the two cars from the rear given the 982's diffuser.

Other rear-end details:

The 981 has the external center-mounted clear fog light just below the rear spoiler.

This center light is no mas on the 982. Instead, the fog light on all 718s is located inside the driver's side taillight.

Other than the rear diffuser on both cars, the biggest noticeable change for me personally is the movement away from the integration and blending (or bleeding, or melting) of the rear spoiler into the taillight lenses on the 981. Always thought this was an utterly unique design element that I can't recall seeing on any other car (holler if you can think of one because I'm sure it's been done before).

Last edited by Suicide Jockey; 06-27-2019 at 12:22 AM.
The following users liked this post:
NelsonF (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 01:15 AM
topwater
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’m looking at used Spyders, max mileage I’ve seen is around 11k for a 981. My Boxster S is car 1. Spyder would still be car 1. F150 is my car 2, only if the roads are flooded do I torture myself and drive it. Do you guys actually drive your cars or is it an investment?
Old 06-27-2019, 08:20 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Originally Posted by topwater
I’m looking at used Spyders, max mileage I’ve seen is around 11k for a 981. My Boxster S is car 1. Spyder would still be car 1. F150 is my car 2, only if the roads are flooded do I torture myself and drive it. Do you guys actually drive your cars or is it an investment?
Good luck with your search there’s some good choices out there as the prices are coming down with the 992 as expected. I would say most owners have the car to enjoy, and you see few miles as most owners are other primary cars. My Spyder was only a weekend car for get aways with the wife, but I also had several other fun cars unfortunately not a lot of miles. I’ve seen a few cars less than 500 miles, and I would say those were hoarders which I wouldn’t want a car with so few miles that’s over 4 years old. Mid-80’s should get you a great car.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:34 AM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Most Spyders are Car 3+ and driven for fun only. In places with winters this ends up being <2k miles/yr. The manual top will get old quickly on a Car 1.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:40 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

I have 20k miles on my Spyder. Good for me, my brokerage account is offsetting my irresponsible car behavior. :-)
Denny Swift (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 12:34 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm closing in on 12k miles. I bought with 8k. So roughly 4k miles in 2 years. I have 6 other vehicles so it doesn't get used every day. I also wouldn't buy a 4 year old vehicle with 500 miles, hell no. Much rather buy one with 40k. If I was looking again, I would be looking at vehicles with between 5k and 30k, most likely, and CPO.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:08 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Do you guys actually drive your cars or is it an investment?
I've put about 2,000 miles on mine in over a year so I definitely don't drive it as much as I should, especially here in so Cal where there are endless opportunities. I've committed to that changing this summer.

These cars are not investments unless your goal is to be bankrupt.
Old 06-27-2019, 01:31 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1
Most Spyders are Car 3+ and driven for fun only. In places with winters this ends up being <2k miles/yr. The manual top will get old quickly on a Car 1.
THIS

I spent the first six years in MA & KS with the Spyder where it sat for 6 months of the year. I was averaging about 2-3k miles a year at that point. The Spyder is now our 5th car with two DD’s and two other fun cars to choose from it doesn’t get driven nearly as much. At 17k miles she still has a 2k/year average. I do also intend to increase my driving now that my broken wrist has healed.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:30 PM
triode
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
Correction, it looks like it’s 150 Lbs Heavier.....step in the wrong direction for the Spyder, how unfortunate.

Total weight is 3130 Lbs, that bigger engine and exhaust must the culperate.
I just specced one with some extra leather, etc. (but carbon buckets and PCCB) and it came in a 3,200 pounds! IIRC the 981 Spyder was 2,910 pounds. This continues a distressing trend of porcine Porsches, where 911s are 3,600 pounds...sad.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:43 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by triode
I just specced one with some extra leather, etc. (but carbon buckets and PCCB) and it came in a 3,200 pounds! IIRC the 981 Spyder was 2,910 pounds. This continues a distressing trend of porcine Porsches, where 911s are 3,600 pounds...sad.
This has to stop!

The 982 is unfairly getting a bad rap as a porker because of changes made in the way Porsche currently quotes weight figures as compared to how weight was reported when the 981 was introduced. Unfortunately, many in the automotive press have jumped to the conclusion that the 982 Spyder has gained hundreds of pounds compared to the 981. This is journalistic laziness and these writers should know better and should be aware of the homologation changes which have required Porsche to quote weight differently. The 982 Spyder is no more than 100 lbs. heavier than the 981 when comparing apples to apples, and some who know, including AP, have indicated it is even less than that. The 982 has not ballooned up considerably. Yes, it does weigh more than the 981, but not that much more and certainly not the hundreds of pounds that have been reported, which unfortunately others have passed along as accurate not knowing any better. Someone needs to get the word out that the 982 still follows the lightweight ethos of its two modern day predecessors and has not turned into a bloated luxo-boat. Nothing could be farther from the truth. It's every inch of a Spyder -- and then some.
DFW01TT (07-08-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:13 PM
hf1
Banned

It sure would help if actual weight was shown and updated in the configurator just like the price. I have a feeling that Porsche, with these constantly changing weight standards used in their marketing materials (DIN, ISO, curb, with fluids, dry, with base options, with lightest options, which options are available or not, etc.) is purposefully obfuscating the weight of its cars in order to hide the weight gained with every new model. Not that hard for Porsche to set the record straight online, if they wanted to. I care much more about the actual numbers than the marketing "ethos".
Old 06-27-2019, 03:14 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Not sure if already posted. From a couple of days ago. Lots of comparisons to the GTS.

https://www.topspeed.com/cars/porsch...-ar179489.html
DFW01TT (07-05-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 03:39 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by hf1
It sure would help if actual weight was shown and updated in the configurator just like the price. I have a feeling that Porsche is purposefully obfuscating the weight of its cars in order to hide the weight gained with every new model. Not that hard for Porsche to set the record straight online, if they wanted to. I care much more about the actual numbers than the marketing "ethos".
My hope is that after the Scottish press junket in July the journos will clarify in their articles -- in NEON -- that the 982 weight is based on a standard car with no lightweight features whereas the 2,899 lb. quoted curb weight of the 981 Spyder was based on a car with every single lightweight option featured - CCB's, small gas tank, LWBs, radio delete, A/C delete, etc. You can't compare the weight figures for the 982 and the 981 until you add back into the 981 the weight saved from all of these weight savings options, which do add up and which does narrow the gap considerably between the weight figures quoted for the two cars. There may also be differences in the amount of fuel each car was laden with for purposes of computing weight. It's my understanding under the new rules the car has to have 90% fuel on board. Can't remember what was required in this regard on the 981. So with gas weighing roughly 6 lbs a gallon as I recall, this may or may not be another factor to consider when comparing the weights.

Being the weight freak that I am, it bugs me, too, that I can't really accurately get at exactly how much the 982 weighs over the 981. I've tried the computation, but got bogged down in some of the details of what should be added to the weight of the 981 and without knowing exactly the weight savings achieved by various options, ultimately threw in the towel. If I recall correctly, AP said the weight difference is roughly 66 lbs when doing an apples to apples comparison (can't recall if he was referring though to the Spyder or the GT4??).

I don't know that Porsche would purposefully obscure weight figures. AP has made mention in one or more articles that the weight difference is not what it appears on paper due to the way weight is now quoted. I suspect Porsche's legal department would advise the marketing folks, and AP in particular, against reporting any stats, particularly one as important as weight, in a manner that is not accurate or not based on the DIN standards which I now understand to be operative.
DFW01TT (07-05-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 04:08 PM
hf1
Banned

I don't think it would be illegal for Porsche to just pick a standard and report weights of actual models and configurations on its configurator. Even that "90% full tank" bugs me and I feel it's purposefully misleading as weight varies with tank-size. How about just report weight with 10 gallons of gas in the tank regardless of tank-size, and stick with it for all your models, then show & update the actual weight in the configurator as options are being chosen? How hard would this be in this day and age? The parts database with all the weights must be already there. Two good programmers could connect it with the configurator within a week. The fact that it's not there makes me believe that Porsche doesn't want it to be there.

If Porsche made the effort and investment to make their new models lighter, then you'll see how quickly they will make this information available in the configurator for all to see.

Quick Reply: 982 GT4 Spyder?