Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary-255/)
-   -   982 GT4 Spyder? (https://rennlist.com/forums/718-gts-4-0-gt4-gt4rs-spyder-25th-anniversary/1044676-982-gt4-spyder.html)

Five12Free 02-20-2018 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 14816112)
This is a silly logic. While something like GT3 motor costs more to make, it does not cost 56k more. Or probably even 10k more.

In the price you're paying for the name and cachet a particular model brings. In other words, you're paying as much as the market will bear, generally speaking, unless Porsche makes a mistake and underprices a model. Still, little to do with the actual parts bin cost.

you have no clue what Porsche is charging for things these days do you? X51 for 911S... $12k. And that’s just heads, two cams and some engine tuning. I can’t imagine what titanium rods cost....probably $15k for a set? Crower charges $7-10k for a set of ti rods these days.

unclemat 02-20-2018 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 14816303)
That's absolutely not true when you're talking about a motorsport engine. It costs a lot more. $56k more? Doubt it. But it's not about the same price as the standard 3.8l Carrera motor. Not even close.

Perhaps a lot more, sure. Expensive parts, handmade, higher cost of warranty claims, etc. But not $56k more, maybe more than $10k, I don't know.

The point is the price is set as high as the market will bear.... we don't think Porsche sucks at pricing their cars, do we?

GT4 or Spyder with actual even detuned GT3 engine will cost big bucks no doubt, I'd bet on $100-110k base price...

unclemat 02-20-2018 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by Five12Free (Post 14816419)

you have no clue what Porsche is charging for things these days do you? X51 for 911S... $12k. And that’s just heads, two cams and some engine tuning. I can’t imagine what titanium rods cost....probably $15k for a set? Crower charges $7-10k for a set of ti rods these days.

Go read my post again. What their charging vs. what it cost them to make are two different things. I was commenting on the latter.

Five12Free 02-20-2018 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 14816436)
Go read my post again. What their charging vs. what it cost them to make are two different things. I was commenting on the latter.

i’m clear on what you wrote. You said 100-110k base for a 4.0l GT4, which isn’t far from what I stated:). Porsche does not manufacture the exotic parts in the 4.0l engine. I believe the pistons are made my Mahle or Wossner, and Pankl makes the rods. So they can only absorb so much cost.

Archimedes 02-20-2018 08:31 PM

Originally Posted by unclemat (Post 14816436)

One is dependent upon the other and the manufacture of a GT3 motor costs a lot more than the manufacture of the standard 3.8 Carrera motor. If Porsche puts the same exact 4l in the GT4/Spyder platform, just with smaller throttle bodies/ECU tune, either the base price of those cars is going to jump by 20+ percent or Porsche is going to be eating cost and profit, something Porsche isn't likely to do. You don't become the most profitable automaker in the world by doing your customers a solid and lowering the profit margins on your product. Also, there would be some pretty pissed off GT3 owners if the same motor were available for $40-50k less in the GT4 platform. Still might happen, but I think people counting on it may be guilty of wishful thinking.

tcsracing1 02-21-2018 12:23 AM

Originally Posted by Archimedes (Post 14816775)
One is dependent upon the other and the manufacture of a GT3 motor costs a lot more than the manufacture of the standard 3.8 Carrera motor. If Porsche puts the same exact 4l in the GT4/Spyder platform, just with smaller throttle bodies/ECU tune, either the base price of those cars is going to jump by 20+ percent or Porsche is going to be eating cost and profit, something Porsche isn't likely to do. You don't become the most profitable automaker in the world by doing your customers a solid and lowering the profit margins on your product. Also, there would be some pretty pissed off GT3 owners if the same motor were available for $40-50k less in the GT4 platform. Still might happen, but I think people counting on it may be guilty of wishful thinking.

I think the base price will be for sure higher this time around. 10% for sure.
The inferior rear suspension and detuned engine will not tread on the RWS GT3 thereby keeping the 911 GT3 crowd at bay.

The only thing i can figure with the motor cost is the fact that they will be sharing it in so many models.... more production equals lower cost to produce.. GT3, GT3R,GT3RS,GT3T "Spyder", "GT4", maybe even Speedster. That is alot of engines. And considering the engine cost less to manufacture then the mezger, it should help keep the cost of this engine reasonable. in theory of course. :)

Im sure the parts department will still want stupid money for replacement engines...

n4v4nod 02-21-2018 12:23 AM

IMHO... Food for thought... I think there is a difference between manufacturing and development cost. When the GT3 launched, Porsche had to pay for both... now that it's been out for a bit development cost might be paid for? (maybe not?) We all know that the GT4/Spyder will not get a completely new engine and that it will get a version of something (NA 4.0, NA 3.8, Turbo 3.0, Turbo 4 pot). Point is a ton of the expense is in the actual development side of things and if borrowed margins will be higher. I think we all agree if it does come with the NA 4.0, it will be detuned quite a bit via internals and ECU. I do think pricing for both the GT4 and Spyder will have a dramatic increase from the 981.

Update: wrote my post before seeing tcsracing's post... basically saying the same thing ;)

Gatte 02-21-2018 03:22 AM

I see a lot of people saying that the price of the 718 GT4 will be significantly higher than the 981 GT4.
Are there actual examples from the past where Porsche jacked up the price on the same model designation between iterations ??

The reason I ask this is because I have seen more consistency in porsche's pricing than some other car makers. Also, the 981 GT4 was produced in very low numbers and with a manual transmission only when there was no GT3 with a manual transmission available. The 718 GT4 would not be considered as special as the 981 GT4 even if it happens to be a better car. A lot of the demand that was seen for the 981 GT4 will not translate to the same degree for the 718 GT4.

guab 02-21-2018 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by Gatte (Post 14817546)
I see a lot of people saying that the price of the 718 GT4 will be significantly higher than the 981 GT4.
Are there actual examples from the past where Porsche jacked up the price on the same model designation between iterations ??

The reason I ask this is because I have seen more consistency in porsche's pricing than some other car makers. Also, the 981 GT4 was produced in very low numbers and with a manual transmission only when there was no GT3 with a manual transmission available. The 718 GT4 would not be considered as special as the 981 GT4 even if it happens to be a better car. A lot of the demand that was seen for the 981 GT4 will not translate to the same degree for the 718 GT4.

Yes, the 987.2 Spyder started at $62,750 and the 981 Spyder started at $82,100. What is even more interesting is that you did commonly see the 987.2 Spyder at low to mid 60's, where the 981 you didn't really see below low to mid 90's as configured. So yes, I would expect, based on history, to see at least another big jump, with configured prices probably in the $100-110k range. Assumption is that base will probably sit just below the base 992 911, since I kind of doubt it will sit higher. I don't think base 911 prices have much room to jump either with competition that's out there.

il pirata 02-21-2018 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by 63A 981510 (Post 14817327)
I think we all agree if it does come with the NA 4.0, it will be detuned quite a bit via internals...

We don't know this, yet. The 981 Spyder engine internals did not change. If the 718 Spyder has the 4.0 I would bet on the internals being the same.

guab 02-21-2018 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by il pirata (Post 14818262)
We don't know this, yet. The 981 Spyder engine internals did not change. If the 718 Spyder has the 4.0 I would bet on the internals being the same.

That is true, but I don't think that's a good data point. Very significant cost differences between the two engines. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't think any of this data pushes a likely outcome in either direction.

roders 02-21-2018 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by guab (Post 14818366)
That is true, but I don't think that's a good data point. Very significant cost differences between the two engines. Not saying it won't happen, but I don't think any of this data pushes a likely outcome in either direction.

But given Porsche have now swapped pricing around to make the 718 Boxster more expensive than the 718 Cayman this give them ground to launch the Spyder at a higher price if it is launched before the GT4.

tcsracing1 02-21-2018 01:04 PM

I sure hope so.
My guess is they dumb down the throttle body. Maybe intake and cams too.

guab 02-21-2018 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by roders (Post 14818403)

But given Porsche have now swapped pricing around to make the 718 Boxster more expensive than the 718 Cayman this give them ground to launch the Spyder at a higher price if it is launched before the GT4.

It's not a large enough price difference IMHO.

Archimedes 02-21-2018 01:36 PM

The 981 Spyder and GT4 didn't have the internals from the GT3, they had the 3.8 from the Carrera S. If Porsche puts the 4.0l in the 718 GT4/Spyder with all the GT3 internals in there, it will be a big departure from the last go round and it will be considerably more expensive.