Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Silver 987.2 Spyder on BAT

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 07:04 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,283 Likes on 594 Posts

Good discussion. I state my claim after driving back to back, all very dialed in, two 997.2 GT3's, a 997.2 GT3 RS and a Gen 1 Boxster Spyder. Sure - it could be 88%, maybe even 87%

P.s. Didn't Excellence mag (April 2011 ?) have a Tail of the Dragon comparison between the 2011 Spyder and the GT3 RS? The RS won, OK, but not by much...

BAMM - http://porschecarshistory.com/porsch...ce-mag-04-2011

Last edited by Zeus993; 01-30-2018 at 07:38 PM.
Old 01-30-2018, 09:16 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

Originally Posted by sh944
Fine... 88% it is!
Old 01-30-2018, 10:38 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 63 Posts

I read that article when I was looking at Spyders. Just re-read it. Clearly bang-for-buck goes to the Spyder. What I found strange were that they tested it on Goodyear's? How is that not being tested with PS2's at the time? And the spongy brakes they mention - very bizarre given the comments about how the Cayman S brakes felt better? They mentioned something had to be wrong with it - which makes sense. Wonder what their final impressions would have been with proper brakes and tires....
Old 01-30-2018, 11:33 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by daylorb
I read that article when I was looking at Spyders. Just re-read it. Clearly bang-for-buck goes to the Spyder. What I found strange were that they tested it on Goodyear's? How is that not being tested with PS2's at the time? And the spongy brakes they mention - very bizarre given the comments about how the Cayman S brakes felt better? They mentioned something had to be wrong with it - which makes sense. Wonder what their final impressions would have been with proper brakes and tires....
It's actually a good technical read, written by professional drivers. Pretty cool.
Old 02-01-2018, 02:54 PM
Redemptiondog
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the article Zeus993!

After watching/participating unsuccessfully in this auction and seeing the results, I wonder what the issues are with a couple of other 987 Spyders out there. There is (still up on the website and autotrader at least), a 25K mile ,black, MT with buckets at Northside Fiat in Houston and another white 25K mile, PDK with buckets listed at autohaus Lancaster Porsche. This BaT auction (silver 36k miles pdk, buckets) went for more than both of those Spyders are listed for?
Old 02-01-2018, 04:59 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by Redemptiondog
Thanks for the article Zeus993!

After watching/participating unsuccessfully in this auction and seeing the results, I wonder what the issues are with a couple of other 987 Spyders out there. There is (still up on the website and autotrader at least), a 25K mile ,black, MT with buckets at Northside Fiat in Houston and another white 25K mile, PDK with buckets listed at autohaus Lancaster Porsche. This BaT auction (silver 36k miles pdk, buckets) went for more than both of those Spyders are listed for?
Assuming that Spyder at Northside doesn’t have any stories it is a smoking deal! Black isn’t for everyone so that may be a factor but more than likely there’s another reason it hasn’t sold. Let us know what you find out.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:15 PM
GT3 Nut
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Assuming that Spyder at Northside doesn’t have any stories it is a smoking deal! Black isn’t for everyone so that may be a factor but more than likely there’s another reason it hasn’t sold. Let us know what you find out.
I almost bought the black one at Northside - until I had a PPI done....
Overall the car isn't horrible but it needed a bit of attention. and worse is that there are some over revs up into the range 5.
A number of things were scaring me off but I actually tried to negotiate with them. They wouldn't move very much on price but now they are asking what I basically offered. (asking price back in November was $56K if I remember right.)
If you aren't scared off by the over revs and you can buy it for 48K-49K it is a good deal.
Be prepared to spend some money to make the car right though. Heavy detailing, new side intakes if you want the original color ones, side stripe, a few other cosmetic things...probably $2500 for parts and with a thorough professional detailing
Overrevs were at hour 342 and the car has just over 825 hours now so likely the motor is ok. It sounded ok to the tech that did the PPI.
But still a risk....

Thankfully I held off a few days and found a much nicer car with less miles and no over revs. But had to buy the buckets separately......and spent a lot more for my car but it is far better in every way.

....by the way this is my second 987.2 spyder....regretted selling my first one a few years back but glad to be back in another one.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:08 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 818 Likes on 430 Posts

Great thread. Thanks for the link to the Excellence article Zeuss. Remember Leh is a hardcore Cup racer so his view and preference is skewed that way. Plus that Spyder was competing on inferior tires and clearly had a brake issue that wasn't normal.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:54 PM
BigLael
8th Gear

Live in Houston and I also checked out the black Spyder here in town and just looked like it was ridden hard.... Waited and found 2012 Spyder in Maryland on MLK day and bought certified from Towson Porsche take a round trip flight and within 5 days had it here in Houston... Felt like a fair deal for certified 31k miles and just under 59k
Old 02-04-2018, 11:26 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by BigLael

Live in Houston and I also checked out the black Spyder here in town and just looked like it was ridden hard.... Waited and found 2012 Spyder in Maryland on MLK day and bought certified from Towson Porsche take a round trip flight and within 5 days had it here in Houston... Felt like a fair deal for certified 31k miles and just under 59k

Congrats on the Spyder and welcome to Rennlist! 2012’s are pretty hard to come by with so few made. What color interior and options?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GT3 Nut
I almost bought the black one at Northside - until I had a PPI done....
Overall the car isn't horrible but it needed a bit of attention. and worse is that there are some over revs up into the range 5.
A number of things were scaring me off but I actually tried to negotiate with them. They wouldn't move very much on price but now they are asking what I basically offered. (asking price back in November was $56K if I remember right.)
If you aren't scared off by the over revs and you can buy it for 48K-49K it is a good deal.
Be prepared to spend some money to make the car right though. Heavy detailing, new side intakes if you want the original color ones, side stripe, a few other cosmetic things...probably $2500 for parts and with a thorough professional detailing
Overrevs were at hour 342 and the car has just over 825 hours now so likely the motor is ok. It sounded ok to the tech that did the PPI.
But still a risk....

Thankfully I held off a few days and found a much nicer car with less miles and no over revs. But had to buy the buckets separately......and spent a lot more for my car but it is far better in every way.

....by the way this is my second 987.2 spyder....regretted selling my first one a few years back but glad to be back in another one.
A repeat offender! Bravo. I am with you there!

Originally Posted by Waxer
Great thread. Thanks for the link to the Excellence article Zeuss. Remember Leh is a hardcore Cup racer so his view and preference is skewed that way. Plus that Spyder was competing on inferior tires and clearly had a brake issue that wasn't normal.
You are welcome. I thought it was a good read and comparing it to a GT2 RS? It (Spyder) SHOULD be in a completely different pay grade, but it's not.

Awesome find. Well done and congrats.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:47 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member
Veteran: Air Force

Received 163 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Congrats on the Spyder and welcome to Rennlist! 2012’s are pretty hard to come by with so few made. What color interior and options?
It is my understanding that there were only 142 2012 model Spyders made for the United states of the total of just over 700 2011-2012 US Spyder in the entire production run.

Of note, there were less then ten in Aqua Blue and I'm lucky enough to have a 2012 in Aqua Blue, sport buckets in two tone blue/black PCCB's, PDK, NAV etc plus some interesting other options. A real keeper. By the way broad smiles that won't come off are a no cost option on the 987 Spyder
Old 02-05-2018, 09:30 AM
BigLael
8th Gear

Default 2012 build sheet

Solid options didn't care for the race seats I found in others after my road race days wanted something to cruise in with wife! Installed the factory short sport shifter last week and that is all it needed. Will put in alpine head unit for convenience and keep original to get put back in if I ever sell,
Old 02-05-2018, 10:30 AM
2XIPA
Burning Brakes

Received 317 Likes on 215 Posts

Solid options didn't care for the race seats I found in others after my road race days wanted something to cruise in with wife! Installed the factory short sport shifter last week and that is all it needed. Will put in alpine head unit for convenience and keep original to get put back in if I ever sell,
Wow 10 ABM Spyders? Is that for 2011 and 2012? I’ve got a 2011 with the tan interior. Maybe I shouldn’t be looking to replace her with the incoming Spyder.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:36 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 2XIPA

Wow 10 ABM Spyders? Is that for 2011 and 2012? I’ve got a 2011 with the tan interior. Maybe I shouldn’t be looking to replace her with the incoming Spyder.
You know I am in the same boat. I'm high up on the allocation list but the 982 Spyder is going have to be something spectacular to pry my 987 out of my arms.

We're getting close to release details. I almost get that this will be the last hurrah of the NA engine, the swan song.

We wait...

Quick Reply: Silver 987.2 Spyder on BAT