Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Removal Procedure for LWBS from 987 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2018, 11:02 AM
jammaljc
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Removal Procedure for LWBS from 987 Spyder

I need to replace the seat belt receptacle on my car. Anyone know of a good resource that describes how best to remove lightweight bucket seat from a 987? The mounting bolts between the seat and the middle console look impossible to reach, so I'm wondering if there's an easier way or any tricks. I understand it is not that hard to do...
Old 01-23-2018, 11:22 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

There are four bolts that hold the seat bracket to the floor. Use some sort of star or torx socket - size 12.
It's easiest if you slide the seat all the way forward, remove the rear bolts, then slide it back and remove the front bolts.
Then disconnect the wire harness and it lifts right out.
There is a DIY thread somewhere. Search - adding harnesses or something like that.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:18 AM
jammaljc
Advanced

Thanks for the tip!
Old 01-24-2018, 09:34 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

As described above a very straightforward process. I would caution however to drape the door sill with a towel as the seat tracks have sharp edges that will scratch those surfaces.
Run the seat forward and remove the rear bolts first and then slide the seat back to get the front also with the seat at least halfway back you can tilt the seat back forward making removal easier.
Old 01-29-2018, 03:43 PM
jammaljc
Advanced

Thanks for the extra tips. I can add one. After removing the seat, do NOT accidentally push on the seat adjustment lever. Theoretically, this could happen when you put the seat on the ground, front first. Depressing that lever will cause one of the two tracks (the spring loaded one) to shoot forward quite forcefully, and possibly to jam. Getting that track back into position could become a 30-minute project in and of itself!
The following users liked this post:
NBAD_Scalawag (08-21-2021)

Quick Reply: Removal Procedure for LWBS from 987 Spyder