Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder tire upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2018, 09:35 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts
Default 981 Spyder tire upgrade

so I’m not thrilled with the pzeros and am thinking of upgrading tires on my stock rims. This is for fun fast canyon driving, not track. Planning to do it on the stock rims and was thinking stock sizes too. What’s available and what do you like? Trofeo R or bite the bullet and upsize the widths to the GT4 Cup2 setup?
Old 01-20-2018, 09:50 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by titleistaddict87
so I’m not thrilled with the pzeros and am thinking of upgrading tires on my stock rims. This is for fun fast canyon driving, not track. Planning to do it on the stock rims and was thinking stock sizes too. What’s available and what do you like? Trofeo R or bite the bullet and upsize the widths to the GT4 Cup2 setup?

I love Cup 2s, which are on my other car. The best option in OEM sizes are the Mich Pilot Sport 4S. I'm a long way from needing new tires for my 981 Spyder. In the interim I'll make the P Zeros do. Maybe by the time I need new tires there will be some more options. It's good not caring anything about the Pirellis so I can thrash them a bit.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:04 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
I love Cup 2s, which are on my other car. The best option in OEM sizes are the Mich Pilot Sport 4S. I'm a long way from needing new tires for my 981 Spyder. In the interim I'll make the P Zeros do. Maybe by the time I need new tires there will be some more options. It's good not caring anything about the Pirellis so I can thrash them a bit.
Seconded. I think that seems to be the best way to go since a very good friend of mine totaled his 2016 or was it 2015 gt3 in the rain. Cup 2s are not really good for winter or the rain!

That said the Pirellis that came with the Spyder are certainly decent imho. But the road noise is a bit too much I think. Definitely have to get them warmed up a bit before I start hooning in the twisties so the understeer gets neutralized. But once they are hot they grip quite hard! Routinely see 1.3g and above with those tires! I have 8k miles on the Pirellis and a couple of track days and they are definitely wearing nicely so I don't need to swap right away. I am also considering the 4S and am hoping they would also help with reducing some tire noise. Pirellis seem quite loud to me. Also the 4S is supposed to have more grip than any other tire in its class and Porsche already has an N spec version of the 4S I believe.
Old 01-20-2018, 10:37 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

This is amusing because I totally forgot that I purposely got the 4s for my 991 and I have to say I love them! The reason I didn’t suggest them here is because the spyder is solely a fair weather dry road car so I was thinking I could get even more performance out of a Cup2 or a Trofeo R. Between the 4S and the Cup2 there is a difference IMO as it felt to me like the sidewall of the Cup2 is stiffer
Old 01-20-2018, 10:44 PM
Raven 666
Drifting

Received 90 Likes on 53 Posts

pilot sport 4 s best all round tire currently ,,,,,,very good ,,,,,,,,,but if you are doing a lot of track work cup 2
Old 01-21-2018, 06:52 AM
Dicknose
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I’ve had both Cup2 and RE71. Both are a step up on the Zeros.
i do a bit of track work and they hold up well there, but are also good for general driving. I don’t drive in the cold, very rare I’m anywere it’s freezing, nor do I do heavy rain - do get that here, but I tend to avoid the Spyder if it’s heavy rain and standing water.
Both these tyres can see 1.4 on the g meter in spirited driving, 1.7 at the track.
the Cup2s were close to stock size (front was 245), the RE71s I tried 295/30R20 rear.
id recommend either, depending on price and availability (re71s can be hard to get)
Old 01-21-2018, 03:17 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

When the time comes, I'm sticking with Zeros. Couldn't be happier with how the car handles and how they have worn. Feeling no need to experiment or "upgrade."
Old 01-21-2018, 08:02 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

^^^^^^ I may even flirt with this . . .

Old 01-21-2018, 11:20 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

I would dump PZeros as soon as I could as well. I will go with either Cup 2 or Trofeo R. But, if the Spyder sees rainy days or road trips, then I will go with Pilot Sport 4S. As others have pointed out, it's a great all around tire. I run them on S2000; work great. Awesome performance in dry and wet. Even in low temps (around 25 F), the grip level is pretty decent, though you are already pretty cautious. One thing I would be curious to know is the weight difference between these tires, for the same sizes. Probably not enough to make a tangible difference on the streets.
Old 01-22-2018, 12:03 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicknose
When I upgraded tires on my 2008 RS60, I opted for Bridgestone RE-11s. Coming from Mich PS2s, the RE-11 had appreciably more grip. Loved them. I'm sure the RE-71 is great too, although many still preferred the RE-11. I do love an extreme performance tire, and I generally only drive my Spyder in the dry. I would gladly opt for the RE-71 but I would prefer OEM sizes.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:17 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Dicknose
i do a bit of track work and they hold up well there, but are also good for general driving. I don’t drive in the cold, very rare I’m anywere it’s freezing, nor do I do heavy rain - do get that here, but I tend to avoid the Spyder if it’s heavy rain and standing water.
Both these tyres can see 1.4 on the g meter in spirited driving, 1.7 at the track.
the Cup2s were close to stock size (front was 245), the RE71s I tried 295/30R20 rear.
id recommend either, depending on price and availability (re71s can be hard to get)
Curious so for Cup 2 you are saying GT4 sizes would work? Those seem the closest unless I am mistaken
Old 01-22-2018, 04:29 PM
mrd_spy
Pro

Received 75 Likes on 51 Posts

PS4S no question the P zero are dire on this car and feel very under tyred
Old 01-22-2018, 04:58 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I would not recommend a cup 2 tire for this car (especially in a canyon) - they need some work to get warmed up and on a public road - I just don't see many people having a good time with it, especially if you've no experience with the tire.

The re71r would be a good choice, or the Pilot 4s or even the MPSS. I would stray far from a Cup 2 for what this car was intended for and only really use it for track use.
Old 01-22-2018, 05:02 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
^^^^^^ I may even flirt with this . . .

Hmmm... I'm thinking they'd look pretty tight on the Spyder.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:59 AM
il pirata
Banned

Received 166 Likes on 104 Posts

If your staying with stock size I would go with PS4S. I would not use Trofeo R, the depth is only 6/32, their not that good in standing water and you cannot go fast enough on the street to use their full potential . If your going to look at GT4 sizing I would look at RE-71 but they are very hard to come by. It seems a lot of the GT4 owners that track prefer the RE-71 over Cup 2 etc.

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder tire upgrade