Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 shopping, and I found the most basic spec I've ever seen... thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 01:47 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
My current 987.2? I am repeat offender which says it all. The last of the 987.2's - the Spyders and CRs - basically have the suspension package that was the predecessor to the 981 X73 package. 20mms lower and sooooo very very good. That combined with the last of the hydraulic steering is a sublime driving experience which is a big reason why I sold the basic non-X73 981 Cayman and jumped back into the Spyder. This is why I'd recommend looking at a CR, IF you can find one. They're getting rare now like the gen 1 Spyders.

The TT cab I owned? Yes - I echo your sentiments on that car. Brutal power but a bit of an understeering pig (sorry porcine members of the animal kingdom) to drive and yes - the 997's RWD and the 987s more fun to drive. That being said, I do miss it as a daily driver. If I was to choose one car to do it all a TT cab is certainly on the list.

The 981 interior is a step up in many ways but the 987 is simpler, more basic sports car. And the radio? I'm ordering the little box from Suncoast and janking it out this year. Gotta save weight (and I never listen to it)!

Did you see that super cool CR on Bring a Trailer? https://bringatrailer.com/listing/20...he-cayman-r-3/ I would buy this car in a heartbeat. It ticks all the boxes and love or hate the wheels you can always paint them. I love it.

Good luck on your hunt and keep us posted.
I daily drive a Jeep Wrangler with big tires...pretty much the opposite of 911 Turbo, but I love it for different reasons. I am with you in that the Turbo would be a good daily for someone not needing much space. I am happy I experienced owning one so that I don't always have to wonder what it would have been like. I do not foresee myself buying another one though. I like my sports cars lighter and rwd, preferably.

And no, I did not see that cayman R that you linked until you just linked it, but that is a great example minus the wheels, which I could not deal with and would have to change. But, by the time the auction is over, I suspect it will be going for quite a bit more than the $41,500 where the bid is now. Finding Rs in the low $40s that aren't beat up is very tough. I envision myself pursuing this new DE hobby starting by building up a base model myself, and then letting my interest and driving skill dictate whether or not I upgrade to an even more track-focused car in the future. And the 981s look great and have enough comforts to be a fun car the wife and I can take out for a spin when the kids are at grandma's....for now. Little does she know of my plans to slowly turn it into a race car!
Old 01-25-2018, 08:22 AM
vbb
Pro

So I test drove the car that I was looking at. And a word, great! Obviously I won't know what I am missing if I don't drive a car with more options, but I can say that based on my test drive that car did not lack anything that I really want other than the x73 suspension which I can add. As it turns out, my fretting over the Xenon was for nothing, because I definitely didn't miss those and I did test drive the car at dusk so I got to see them in operation.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to be making the purchase tomorrow.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:02 AM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I daily drive a Jeep Wrangler with big tires...
My only contribution to this thread is that I daily drove a Wrangler (JKU) until I bought a 981 Boxster S this past weekend. I’m keeping the Jeep for semi-daily duties though. Good luck with the hunt - hope this car works out for you.
Old 01-25-2018, 12:46 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
So I test drove the car that I was looking at. And a word, great! Obviously I won't know what I am missing if I don't drive a car with more options, but I can say that based on my test drive that car did not lack anything that I really want other than the x73 suspension which I can add. As it turns out, my fretting over the Xenon was for nothing, because I definitely didn't miss those and I did test drive the car at dusk so I got to see them in operation.

I'm pretty sure that I am going to be making the purchase tomorrow.
Just as a reference point, I just bought a 2014 base Cayman (6 speed), one owner with 5k miles and a nice set of options, including PTV, PASM, bi-xenons, rear wiper, 14-(or18- or whatever) way seats, and Bose stereo system and paid 42,500. I had an indy PPI (essentially flawless report including zero over-revs in any range) followed by a Porsche dealer 4-year (~40k mile) service, for air filters, spark plugs, etc. that also attested to the car’s outstanding condition.

The two points I want to make are 1) I absolutely love this car for the reasons you’ve mentioned above and strongly support your eventual purchase of a base 981!, and 2) a stripper 2015 base manual with 15k miles should be selling below $40k. I know this depends in part on your region, but I just lived three months of online searches and never saw a car with that few options.

Have you consulted NADA guide to help inform pricing, had a PPI, etc? Best of luck — I hope it works out for you!
Old 01-26-2018, 08:20 AM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Cherry

Just as a reference point, I just bought a 2014 base Cayman (6 speed), one owner with 5k miles and a nice set of options, including PTV, PASM, bi-xenons, rear wiper, 14-(or18- or whatever) way seats, and Bose stereo system and paid 42,500. I had an indy PPI (essentially flawless report including zero over-revs in any range) followed by a Porsche dealer 4-year (~40k mile) service, for air filters, spark plugs, etc. that also attested to the car’s outstanding condition.

The two points I want to make are 1) I absolutely love this car for the reasons you’ve mentioned above and strongly support your eventual purchase of a base 981!, and 2) a stripper 2015 base manual with 15k miles should be selling below $40k. I know this depends in part on your region, but I just lived three months of online searches and never saw a car with that few options.

Have you consulted NADA guide to help inform pricing, had a PPI, etc? Best of luck — I hope it works out for you!
I've been searching for a little over a month, and of course it is currently winter, when theoretically prices would be a little down compared to in the summer, and I haven't been able to find the deals anywhere within a 500 mile radius of my area where low mileage base Caymans are going for under $40K. In fact, I was totally wrong in my first post about the price. I wasn't looking at the ad when I posted, and I must have gotten this car confused with another higher mileage car I was looking at, because this car is actually closer to $42K. And yet STILL it is the best deal I can find in one of the colors that I'm interested in. But all that said, as long as the car's DME report checks out, I still feel that it is a good deal. It appears to be an unmolested, base cayman with very low options and low mileage in one of my top 2 preferred color combos. If I end up paying $1500-$2000 more than the best deal I might be able to find somewhere down the road, I cannot have any regrets about that. IDEALLY I'd find a similarly low mileage car here on Rennlist where a previous owner has already done the X73 or had their car optioned that way, but I've been looking for that for quite awhile and nothing has popped up.
Old 01-26-2018, 08:24 AM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Drew_K

My only contribution to this thread is that I daily drove a Wrangler (JKU) until I bought a 981 Boxster S this past weekend. I’m keeping the Jeep for semi-daily duties though. Good luck with the hunt - hope this car works out for you.
They couldn't be any more different, but both are very good at what they are built to do. I drive a 2017 JKU Sahara with 17" wheels and BFGs. I like daily driving it, it has been a champion through the recent snow and ice, it is fun in the spring and summer, it has room to make those runs to the hardware store that I sometimes have to make, and the whole family likes it.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:44 AM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Originally Posted by vbb
... this car is actually closer to $42K. And yet STILL it is the best deal I can find in one of the colors that I'm interested in.
​​​​​​
After consulting NADA and doing some serious head scratching I realized why this car with fewer options and more miles is priced above the car I just bought and mentioned above -- yours is still under warranty for another X months until it becomes 48 months old.

That's awesome, but I'd also recommend keeping this in mind when you are negotiating. Once the car is no longer under warranty, just a few months from now, its value will fall (I'd estimate by several thousand). If you intend to keep it for a long time, turn it into a track car or whatever, then it likely makes no difference.

I still have CARFAX and VINSmart credits left over from my recent car shopping. I don't plan to use them. If you'd like to PM me the VIN I can send you back what those reports say.

Good luck!
Old 01-26-2018, 04:32 PM
isthar
Instructor

Received 37 Likes on 22 Posts

Hi! New to Rennlist (I am also on planet nine)...

Care for a data point?

I purchased this month a 2013 base 981, 6-speed manual, no SC, no PASM, no PSE but with Xenon, heated and ventilated seats, with PCM + Bose. 43K miles. Listed at 34K. Not CPO, and I thought about extended warranty but after driving it and thinking about it I am going to self-insure/establish relationship with local indy, etc.

Miles aside, it looks gorgeously like new. To me? Runs like new. Loving it.
Just wish it had park assist (even just beep beeps).

Last edited by isthar; 01-26-2018 at 04:35 PM. Reason: fix model number
Old 01-26-2018, 04:46 PM
baege
Racer

Received 210 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
I am a former 2x 911 owner (997.2 C2 and 997.1 TT) and am looking to work my way back to the brand. Unlike the last two times however, this time I want a pure driver's car that I'm going to learn to track (I've never been to a road course and only don't auto-x twice). My local indy mechanic and longtime Porsche race car driver and team pit boss has always preached the "it is more fun to drive a slower car fast than a faster car slow" mantra, plus he has stressed that people should learn on something without a lot of power so they really learn how to drive.

This time around I'm shopping for a Cayman. I'm looking at a base model vs. an S or GTS largely due to budget... since this is a car I plan on taking to the track and autoX instead of just hard parking at the local PCA meets and cars & coffees like I did with my other two 911s, I'd rather come in at a lower entry price and leave myself room to spend on modifications and parts I'll eventually need. That, and I kind of like the thought of extracting the most I can out of the car. I'm also looking at the 981 instead of the 987 simply because I absolutely LOVE the look of the 981, both inside and out. Admittedly, I've only driven the 987 (both S and base), so I've got to drive the 981 first of course, but I expect to like it. Plus, I want something a bit newer.

So I found a low mileage 6sp manual 2015 that is the right color combo that I am looking for as well. But man, it is the most basic Porsche build I think I've ever seen. It seemingly has no options above the standard equipment other than the 19" Cayman S wheels. No power or heated seats. No Nav. No bi-Xenons! I didn't even know they made these cars without bi-Xenons. Am I taking this minimalist thing too far? The only mod that I think I'm absolutely going to miss are the lack of xenon headlights, because that just seems weird on a Porsche... but the car is priced accordingly. $40,500 for a 1 owner 2015 with 11K miles. Does anyone have a similarly stripped down Cayman, and if so, anything that you absolutely regret?
both my 2014 and 2016 s caymans were pretty much strippers
i got the 20s and x73 but no other options
i came from a bmw fully loaded but i didnt miss all the bells and whistles
its all about driving for me
Old 01-26-2018, 05:06 PM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Benjamin Cherry
​​​​​​
After consulting NADA and doing some serious head scratching I realized why this car with fewer options and more miles is priced above the car I just bought and mentioned above -- yours is still under warranty for another X months until it becomes 48 months old.

That's awesome, but I'd also recommend keeping this in mind when you are negotiating. Once the car is no longer under warranty, just a few months from now, its value will fall (I'd estimate by several thousand). If you intend to keep it for a long time, turn it into a track car or whatever, then it likely makes no difference.

I still have CARFAX and VINSmart credits left over from my recent car shopping. I don't plan to use them. If you'd like to PM me the VIN I can send you back what those reports say.

Good luck!
I appreciate your continued responses as well as your offer. I already have the Carfax reports on the car I am looking at though so I won't need you to run one for me. Sincerely though, thank you for the offer.

As for the value, This car is under factory warranty until April 2019. And as previously mentioned it has 12K miles. I would not have thought the fact that it has that much warranty left would make that big of a price difference, but apparently so. I know that after a month of searching, I haven't been able to find another 2015 Cayman with a similar amount of mileage for a better price. I do realize that if I tolerate a little bit more mileage, or a different color I might be able to find something A little cheaper. I did consider that. And, having owned two other Porsches, and having a good relationship with my local Indie shop I'm not afraid of a little more mileage either. That said, I'm pretty well set on moving forward with the one that I have found. Hopefully I don't end up seeing another one pop up in two weeks for several thousand less with everything that I was looking for in the first place. But if I do, such is life.
Old 01-31-2018, 11:00 PM
Patrick3000
Rennlist Member

Received 442 Likes on 244 Posts

I’m surprised this was not mentioned earlier. The “S” has better brakes and cooling both are very important for a car that will be regularly tracked. I have a base 981 Boxster that is an excellent street car but for track days I take the GT4 or 997.2S. If you eventually want a track car I would start with a Cayman “S” even if you need to go to a 987.2 to stay in your budget.

BTW: Consumables and repairs, for the inevitable opps are more affordable with a 987. One last thing if you can’t afford to write off the car get track insurance, enjoy and good luck with your search.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:00 AM
vbb
Pro

Originally Posted by Patrick3000
I’m surprised this was not mentioned earlier. The “S” has better brakes and cooling both are very important for a car that will be regularly tracked. I have a base 981 Boxster that is an excellent street car but for track days I take the GT4 or 997.2S. If you eventually want a track car I would start with a Cayman “S” even if you need to go to a 987.2 to stay in your budget.

BTW: Consumables and repairs, for the inevitable opps are more affordable with a 987. One last thing if you can’t afford to write off the car get track insurance, enjoy and good luck with your search.
I completely understand that the "S" variant has better...well just about everything...for the track. That said, I had a budget that I wanted to stay within and the "S" models were outside of that budget unless I wanted to compromise on mileage and condition, which I did not. And the 981 vs. 987 thing is something I turned over in my mind a few times. I drove a 987.1 S, and it is a fantastic car, but the 981 is what I wanted.

My goal/plan is to upgrade the things I need for the track on the 981 over time. I can fit the car with the brakes from the 981S and the X73 suspension, and so while I won't have the power on the straights and coming out of the corners, I will have a car that is more than capable at my novice driving level.
Old 02-03-2018, 05:57 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Originally Posted by vbb
My goal/plan is to upgrade the things I need for the track on the 981 over time. I can fit the car with the brakes from the 981S and the X73 suspension, and so while I won't have the power on the straights and coming out of the corners, I will have a car that is more than capable at my novice driving level.
Godspeed, and keep us posted -- with pics when you get it! CARFAX / VINSmart offer still stands, just PM me a VIN and an email and I'll send you the reports .
Old 02-05-2018, 10:16 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Do not buy it.

So many people say they're going to track their car and then they realize...it is not only expensive but a real commitment. I would urge you to buy a car you want or can live with every day and go from there.

Quick Reply: 981 shopping, and I found the most basic spec I've ever seen... thoughts?