Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy 981 with accident history?

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2018, 10:44 PM
Lvanpelt729
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts
Default Would you buy 981 with accident history?

Hi all- first post. I’m in market for 981 cayman S and was wondering, would you buy a 981 that has previously been in an accident, even if minor? I’ve found a well equipped cayman but there was a minor rear end accident on CARFAX back right after the car was purchased in 2013. Just small body damage. My question is, will if be much more difficult to sell this car in a couple of years? How much would you discount a 981 that was in an accident?

For record, it’s a ‘14 with just over 20k miles.

thanks!
Old 01-19-2018, 03:03 PM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729
Hi all- first post. I’m in market for 981 cayman S and was wondering, would you buy a 981 that has previously been in an accident, even if minor? I’ve found a well equipped cayman but there was a minor rear end accident on CARFAX back right after the car was purchased in 2013. Just small body damage. My question is, will if be much more difficult to sell this car in a couple of years? How much would you discount a 981 that was in an accident?

Yes it will be less desireable. Take your time. I'm sure you can find one in great condition with no history at all with less mileage than that.
Old 01-19-2018, 03:25 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Lvanpelt729

thanks!
Definitely take your time looking and get a feel for the market. If you figure out it is 50% less... then sounds pretty good. 5% less? Not likely. If you can dig into the damage at all, that would be helpful - if it was right after purchase perhaps the dealer knows the story? Have a PPI and get them to figure it out. I picked up a Spyder this past summer - it had everything pretty much exactly as I wanted it - with rear bumper damage.

I dug deep into it, had a PPI done at the dealer, and found it to be nothing more than a scratch. Original bumper and everything still on. I estimated it was 20% lower than anything I'd seen - a good $10K lower - got a PPI done at the local Porsche dealer and now looking back I think I got a complete steal on it because others were scared away on the initial report.
Old 01-19-2018, 04:54 PM
Kaduku
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by daylorb
because others were scared away on the initial report.
Exactly!
Old 01-19-2018, 05:01 PM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I was in this same situation before on a different vehicle. The discount was significant enough that I had to seriously consider. My thinking was, if I planned to sell the vehicle in a few years, then this will hurt me for sure. But if I plan to keep the vehicle for a long time, even keeping it "forever" then I just saved myself thousands!
Old 01-22-2018, 10:58 PM
Lvanpelt729
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Thanks all, appreciate the insight. Another question, what are your thoughts on websites such as vroom or carvana? Given their return policy, I’d think it’s possible to get PPI then return it if there were issues. Found a 14 cayman S well equiped (Sport Chrono, pdk, x73, sport techno wheels, pse, infotainment, convenience) with under 10k miles for $52k. Seems low given it’s a 1 owner car with clean AutoCheck.

Should i I be suspicious or has anyone had success with these sites? Car has been listed for a few months....

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Would you buy 981 with accident history?