Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Considering trading the GTI in on a Macan S for the Daily Driver

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2018, 04:07 PM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

Received 52 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Considering trading the GTI in on a Macan S for the Daily Driver

Anyone have experience, thoughts?
Old 01-15-2018, 05:21 PM
iliveoncaffiene
Burning Brakes

Received 396 Likes on 234 Posts

Driving-wise, it's a big step up from the GTI / R. If you're simply looking for a nicer DD with good driving dynamics and good utility, the Macan is hard to beat. I test drove a Macan S when shopping to replace my Golf R and it felt very nimble and fun for what (to me) felt like a big SUV.
But, if you're looking for "more space" inside - look elsewhere. The Macan feels almost smaller in the rear seat than the Golf.
Old 01-15-2018, 05:39 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

The Macan is a bad idea if you have passengers in the back. I'm 5'6" and my head darn near touches the roof.

Test drove the Macan S while trying to find a new SUV for my wife. I enjoyed driving it but there was no way it would work for her with so little room in the back.
Old 01-15-2018, 06:36 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you like/hate about the GTI? What are your goals? What's important?
Old 01-15-2018, 08:15 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

I had a base Macan as a loaner for 5 days and it was fine, though a bit more power would've been nice so the S model will take care of that. I didn't have anyone sit in the back but did get groceries and the trunk seemed like it had decent room, but nothing amazing.

At the very least it would be easier to get around during the winter in Ohio.
Old 01-15-2018, 09:25 PM
manifold danger
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,133 Likes on 638 Posts

I've sat in the back and it's not a big deal. I'm not trying to be contrarian as I've heard the cramped back seat sentiment a few times so maybe it's not great for tall people on long trips... but I'm 5'11" and didn't notice it being cramped at all. FWIW I don't spend much time back there, but I have two teenage boys and they haven't complained either even during long trips.

As for how it drives, I came to the conclusion during the first few weeks of ownership that it was every bit as compelling and a bit more refined than the M4 I had at the time. The bonus is that my wife gets her SUV seating position. It's the ultimate compromise for someone who wants/needs an SUV but also wants a sports car. Accept no substitute.

That said, I do have to make compromises because the dimensions are basically a lifted hatchback. I won't agree with those here on the lack of room in the rear seats, but if you're expecting to get 2+ people, dogs, and luggage you may as well keep looking. Or at least consider one of those turtle shell things... It's not a hauler by any means but then again neither would I imagine a Golf to be, or any other "CUV", like the Evoque I traded in for it. The Evoque I'd actually say felt smaller. Maybe the Cayenne if you need the room but you definitely lose the "sports car" feel... the Cayenne just feels like a very upscale truck. The Macan truly feels like a grand tourer rather than an SUV... but my German Shepherd only fits if he takes up the whole back seat. If you're doing ok with space in your Golf, I would highly recommend the Macan.

I would also suggest you spring for the S, as it appears you are considering... I haven't driven the base Macan but I really have grown fond of the power and the way it's delivered so I'd have to assume it would be a downgraded experience... I haven't driven the Turbo either but I really couldn't justify another 60hp in this thing, it's plenty fast as is. I would however recommend the sport chrono; at times the throttle response can feel a little sluggish but pressing the Sport button cures that right up.

I will be trading up to a GTS for the wife's next upgrade. Not interested in the Stelvio, SQ5, GLA45, etc... only thing to get me away from a Macan might have to be a Urus...
Old 01-15-2018, 10:21 PM
GT4John
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 20 Posts

No knowledge of a GTI, but my dealer has loaned me a Base and GTS Macan. The base was a really enjoyable car. The GTS was mayhem. Shockingly fast. Amazing car.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:30 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by iliveoncaffiene
Driving-wise, it's a big step up from the GTI / R. If you're simply looking for a nicer DD with good driving dynamics and good utility, the Macan is hard to beat. I test drove a Macan S when shopping to replace my Golf R and it felt very nimble and fun for what (to me) felt like a big SUV.
But, if you're looking for "more space" inside - look elsewhere. The Macan feels almost smaller in the rear seat than the Golf.
Almost? It's definitely smaller in the rear seat than the Golf. I can't sit in the back of the Macan without my legs tucked and my head hitting the headliner. I have room to spare in the back of the Golf. My 6'3" son has no problem in the Golf. No way I'd trade my Golf R for any Macan.
Old 01-17-2018, 08:16 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

I never use the back seat, need more room for my big *** than is comfortable in the gti, love the small hatch and power for a DD. I consider the macan a GTI on steriods (bigger, faster).

I like the power and the bigger sun roof.
Old 01-17-2018, 09:37 AM
manouk
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

If your looking for a gti on steroids and don’t mind sedan body try an Audi rs3. Trunk is a little on the small side
Old 01-17-2018, 11:49 AM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GT4John
No knowledge of a GTI, but my dealer has loaned me a Base and GTS Macan. The base was a really enjoyable car. The GTS was mayhem. Shockingly fast. Amazing car.
My brother just bought a new '18 Macan Turbo. In sport mode, the car literally scared him. My replacement for my x3 in a year or so will likely be a Macan S or GTS which would be my DD. Or lightly used Turbo??
Old 01-26-2018, 02:16 PM
TerryC4S
Instructor

Received 71 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Phil G.
My brother just bought a new '18 Macan Turbo. In sport mode, the car literally scared him. My replacement for my x3 in a year or so will likely be a Macan S or GTS which would be my DD. Or lightly used Turbo??
I have a '15 Macan Turbo that is wicked fast in Sport mode. I think it was timed at 4.2 to 60 by one of the magazines. That is ridiculous acceleration for something of that size and weight. That being said, my wife and I both love driving it. It is a great driving experience. I have asked her if she would like something new. The answer is always "No way". She thinks it's the perfect car.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:47 AM
blacksheepSpyder
Pro

So I made my decision,

I am trading the 2012 GTI in on a 2015 BMW 550i xdrive. That will be suitable for a daily driver.

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:24 AM
Dalema
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Woah - that was a different direction. I used to have a 550 many moons ago - fun cruising car but not really agile.

I'm actually thinking of picking up a GTI for a DD once my GT3.2 arrives. Am I going to be disappointed in it?

Just looking for something fun to run around in, take when visiting clients etc. May even get the PDK equivalent given I will have 2 manual cars.
Old 01-27-2018, 11:31 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

This may be little off-topic, but our daughter is getting tired of driving an old Honda automatic, has sights set on a 6-speed GTI, either new or recent CPO. Any specific recommendations on options and such?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)

Quick Reply: Considering trading the GTI in on a Macan S for the Daily Driver