Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ABS sensor connector

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2018, 12:19 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts
Default ABS sensor connector

I managed to break the clip on the ABS sensor connector on the left front while doing a pad swap. The sensor is fine, and the connector has held on for a few drives with some zip ties, but I want to make it back to OEM. I can't seem to find the connector in the PET. The sensor is 99160640701, and is fine, but I want to replace the connector that latches on 99160640701. Does anyone know how to do that?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:30 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
I managed to break the clip on the ABS sensor connector on the left front while doing a pad swap. The sensor is fine, and the connector has held on for a few drives with some zip ties, but I want to make it back to OEM. I can't seem to find the connector in the PET. The sensor is 99160640701, and is fine, but I want to replace the connector that latches on 99160640701. Does anyone know how to do that?
I'd ask a dealer parts department. I'm betting that clip gets broken during service in the shop and the tech will not replace the entire sensor for just the connector being broken. Connectors can be extremely difficult to find unless there is enough identifying info on it to allow searching the interweb or contacting an electrical supply warehouse that carries automotive/marine (splash proof, water proof) connectors.
Old 01-11-2018, 09:48 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Thanks. May have to do that. The only complicating factor is there is no dealer in the city I live in. The little plastic piece in the middle of the connector is all that broke off, so it may even be repairable by someone with more skills than me.
Old 12-30-2018, 11:42 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 41 Posts

Did you ever get a resolution to this? I did the exact same thing, broke the little clip on the left front. I've used safety wire to hold it on for now.
Old 12-30-2018, 01:11 PM
Jacob Sami
Instructor

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mts
Did you ever get a resolution to this? I did the exact same thing, broke the little clip on the left front. I've used safety wire to hold it on for now.
I did the same thing , it cost me $3 to repair, no need to buy the whole harness , that clip has a part number here is some links, remove the wires and insert new end plug. its a VW Audi part.

This one comes with extra oarts if needed but takes some time to come in cine its from ebay, CLICK HERE

But i ordered mines from HERE came in fast and fixed it.

The harness costs $200 and takes time to come in, this saved me!

***EDIT*** i noticed this is for the ABS sensor , mines was the brake sensor clip broke from the harness side feeding into the car, and not the brake sensor it's self, but if you look at the end clip, if it has a part number you can find it (google ). and perhaps do the same as i did and replace that end alone. good luck.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:03 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mts
Still working on it. I put 5k miles on with the safety wired/taped connector and it's been fine. I believe the only way for a shade tree guy to replace would be to replace the entire harness for that hub, which appears to be 99160913101. I ordered a used one. This also seems to be the exact part we broke, but the seller does not ship to my state (item in Wolfsburg, DE): https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-15cm-Rep...2zQ:rk:10:pf:0
Old 01-03-2019, 09:37 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Still working on it. I put 5k miles on with the safety wired/taped connector and it's been fine. I believe the only way for a shade tree guy to replace would be to replace the entire harness for that hub, which appears to be 99160913101. I ordered a used one. This also seems to be the exact part we broke, but the seller does not ship to my state (item in Wolfsburg, DE): https://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-15cm-Rep...2zQ:rk:10:pf:0
I ended up ordering the clip from the ebay link you sent. Thanks for posting that. Basically you have to email them so they can send you a link on how to purchase with shipping to the US (the initial link denies all shipping to the US). I will post back if it works out. For that cost it's certain worth a shot.
Old 01-03-2019, 10:04 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mts
I ended up ordering the clip from the ebay link you sent. Thanks for posting that. Basically you have to email them so they can send you a link on how to purchase with shipping to the US (the initial link denies all shipping to the US). I will post back if it works out. For that cost it's certain worth a shot.
Nice. Please update the thread with how that works out. I may have to go that route if the harness is not easy to swap out. The used harness from a wrecked 981 was only $50 so I figured I'd give it a go.
Old 03-11-2019, 10:17 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Update so folks can see how you fix this. After 14 months of it being zip-tied on (which held up fine) I finally got the replacement harness and fixed it the right way. The harness is 99160913101. It is self-contained, linking only to the ABS/wheel speed sensor and the brake pad sensor (which, on my car, is zip tied to the strut). Replacement is pretty self explanatory once you remove the entire front fender liner, which is a bunch of torx screws including a few under the bumper cover. The most in-board connector, which links the sensors to the main loom, is a bitch to get off since there is very little space to work with. I used a finger nail to get it open. Pics are more useful:

Old 03-11-2019, 10:38 AM
mts
Rennlist Member

Thanks for posting. I've not fixed mine yet (with the part I got from ebay), but will post when I do.
Old 02-02-2020, 11:54 AM
txbdan
Rennlist Member

Received 170 Likes on 114 Posts

Gah, i just broke my right rear wheel speed sensor connector. Looks like the pad sensor, wheel speed, and parking brake are all integrated into one harness. Doubt that's cheap. The connector PN is 6E0 973 702. Looks to be readily available so i'll swap it. Hopefully i can extract the pins and just swap housings.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:13 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by txbdan
Gah, i just broke my right rear wheel speed sensor connector. Looks like the pad sensor, wheel speed, and parking brake are all integrated into one harness. Doubt that's cheap. The connector PN is 6E0 973 702. Looks to be readily available so i'll swap it. Hopefully i can extract the pins and just swap housings.
The PN I linked above for the front wheel speed and pad sensors was only like $60 used I believe. Not sure what it costs new. Good luck!
Old 06-01-2020, 12:01 PM
MMaynard
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 23 Posts

I fixed 2 of them yesterday the connector is listed below you can get them with out the wires in them (just the raw connector) and if you get yourself some terminal repair Key tools you can remove the wires from the old connectors and put them in the new connectors. Just document the orientation of the pins and the wires in the connectors. The back connector was harder to get the wires out of but I was extra careful to not pull to hard on them, The front connector was much easier.

AUDI VW 2 pin connector housing plug 6E0973702

Quick Reply: ABS sensor connector