Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bought out my 981 lease-Is this a scam?

Old 01-09-2018, 08:35 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts
Default Bought out my 981 lease-Is this a scam?

This is the 2nd time this has happened to me from two different dealers and now I'm wondering if it's a scam that's going unnoticed. I bought out my lease and was prepared to write a check for the residual plus sales tax and the dealer's residual amount was a few hundred dollars more than what's on the contract. When I asked why they said Porsche collects late fees at the end of the lease. Knowing there were never any late fees, they still insisted that would be the amount if I wanted to buy the car so I suggested we contact Porsche Financial. Their rep said the amount they were using was a payoff for two months after the end of the lease so either the dealer wanted to keep the money for a couple of months at my expense or they just pad the residual by small "explainable" amount to make a few bucks. If it's intentional I have a feeling they get away with it most of the time so I thought I'd pass it along.
Old 01-09-2018, 08:53 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,310 Likes on 782 Posts

Originally Posted by clutchplate
This is the 2nd time this has happened to me from two different dealers and now I'm wondering if it's a scam that's going unnoticed. I bought out my lease and was prepared to write a check for the residual plus sales tax and the dealer's residual amount was a few hundred dollars more than what's on the contract. When I asked why they said Porsche collects late fees at the end of the lease. Knowing there were never any late fees, they still insisted that would be the amount if I wanted to buy the car so I suggested we contact Porsche Financial. Their rep said the amount they were using was a payoff for two months after the end of the lease so either the dealer wanted to keep the money for a couple of months at my expense or they just pad the residual by small "explainable" amount to make a few bucks. If it's intentional I have a feeling they get away with it most of the time so I thought I'd pass it along.
How is a lease buyout typically calculated? Is it the total of payments due minus the interest on those payments plus residual?
Old 01-09-2018, 09:05 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I wouldn't pay a dime more than what Porsche financial services said to pay.

Also, you do not have to go to a dealer to buy out the lease. The dealer doesn't own the car, and the buy out is calculated by Porsche financial services and is a closed end lease. Get pay off from Porsche, write check + sales tax, go to DMV.

The only time I would consider involving a dealer is if my residual was higher than the market value and I could buy it cheaper if dealers get a kick back from Porsche (or other manufacturer) to buy out the lease to avoid having the cars flood market. Though, not sure this happens often. It would also be a last shot if I wanted the car but didn't want to pay above market value (and thus would just buy one on the open market instead).
Old 01-10-2018, 02:03 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by guab
Also, you do not have to go to a dealer to buy out the lease. The dealer doesn't own the car, and the buy out is calculated by Porsche financial services and is a closed end lease.
This.

When my time comes, I'll get a loan from my credit union and have them send a check to Porsche Financial Services for the buyout amount, then they'll do an electronic title transfer till I pay it off.
Old 01-10-2018, 12:10 PM
clutchplate
Three Wheelin'

Received 925 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by kiznarsh
This.

When my time comes, I'll get a loan from my credit union and have them send a check to Porsche Financial Services for the buyout amount, then they'll do an electronic title transfer till I pay it off.
That's what I thought too but Porsche Financial said the contract needed to executed by a dealer. It's not like paying off a loan as a new purchase contract needs to be signed being that the original was a lease.
Old 01-10-2018, 05:55 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

That's what I thought too but Porsche Financial said the contract needed to executed by a dealer. It's not like paying off a loan as a new purchase contract needs to be signed being that the original was a lease.
Hmmm...when I asked the sales manager at my local dealership, he said I didn't need to come in at all. Just said to have my bank talk to Porsche Financial. The way I see it, once a lease ends, it's returned which does accompany a fee that's typically waived if you lease another, or if not, then it's sold as a used car with a predetermined value (i.e. the residual). So it should be like getting a new loan for a used car. So yes, it's not like paying off a loan, rather getting a new one.

But I also wouldn't be surprised if the process isn't the same across all the dealers.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:26 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

This is why I hate leases. There are just too many ways for dealers to screw their customers.
Old 01-10-2018, 07:29 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The best sign I ever saw was at my father's buddy's indy shop : "we cheat the other guy and pass the savings on to you"
Old 01-10-2018, 07:33 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Yeah, I would call and bitch at Porsche Financial Services. That is incorrect information that was given to you and I bet that call was recorded. Secondly, there's been plenty of times that a BMWFS employee gave me factually incorrect information. It happens. When something smells fishy, always push. I would have lost so much money if I would have believed everything that was told to me without further vetting.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:28 AM
MJBird993
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I had a BMW dealer once try to rip me off on a lease trade-in. They tried to keep my security deposit, which was around $650 back in the 90's - that was a lot of money. I wrote an angry letter to BMW FS and explained that the dealership was trying to defraud me, which got them in a little bit of hot water but natch nothing ever really happens to punish these criminals.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Bought out my 981 lease-Is this a scam?