Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Newbie Cayman questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 11:04 PM
mann277
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie Cayman questions

I am in the market for a Cayman but have so many questions in regards to this car like base or S, 987.1 or .2, PDK or manual.
Money is a factor in what I will end up with so keeping that in mind, durability is most important, then the trans(PDK or manual), and lastly power.
I guess I should state it's purpose. I started doing DEs and met a guy that had a full on tracked prepped cayman. It really intrigued me, so here I am looking
and reading.

The main thing that everyone/thing i have read is about the IMS issues so that kinda makes me want to focus only on a 2009/987.2 model. However, I spoke with
the guy about his and its a 2006 S and he has over 10K track miles and it runs perfect. I ask him if he had done anything to it and his answers were:
1. oil tank extender
2. air/oil separator
He's a creditable guy so is this IMS issue really an issue or if you mod it properly then its not an issue? I like the older ones primarily because they are cheaper.

So, the next part is an S or base. Is 30HP that noticeable on track or is the 3.4 just a better engine than the 2.9?
Lastly is the trans, manual is usually the go to at the track but the PDK is nice and well...easy.
Do they hold up as a manual would? Do you have to get sports chrono for it to truely be effective?

TIA

David
Old 01-10-2018, 09:23 AM
Bill Lehman
Three Wheelin'

Received 227 Likes on 134 Posts

The 987.1 Caymans have the latest IMS and don't seem to have issues. Oiling mods as you noted are required and a 987.1 will eventually need a P/S cooler. The 2.7 engine is the same as the 3.4 engine except for displacement. Some believe the smaller and lighter pistons in the 2.7 add longevity to the rod bolts and bearings. The 987.2 has better oiling and P/S cooling from the factory. I like manual transmissions but PDK is faster. I don't think PDK is available on the 987.1 and the old auto sucks. I don't think Sport Chrono has much utility. I started DE running a 2.7 987.1, traded it in on a 987.1 3.4 so yes, I think the "S" is worth it. It also has larger front brakes.
Old 01-10-2018, 10:57 AM
mjdavis
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

For any track use at all, I would steer you towards a .2 model. A 2.9l 987.2 with a manual is an excellent platform for a track car and fun street car (disclosure: I bought a 987.2 base last year after 5 years with a 996 C2). A few suspension tweaks, seats/harnesses and you're ready to go. The car is a bit light on power, but I don't think the extra power of the 3.4 is worth the markup (my view is heavily biased of course). It's not a slow car by any means, and the car can certainly get out of its own way, and the slightly shorter gearing of the 2.9l can help. The S will certainly be faster out of the box - I've learned that power is pretty meaningful to lap times after all. But you can buy a base Cayman and make it faster than an S for less money than the initial price difference. And there is something fun about keeping up with the "big boys" - you are forced to lean on the grip, brake later/better, and carry more speed through corners than you thought was possible. After a few weekends at the track, the Corvette and 911 guys will be nervously watching their mirrors for you...
Old 01-11-2018, 06:57 AM
DaveCarrera4
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hold out for a .2 S if you can. PDK or MT is a personal choice. Do you want to step on the long pedal and let the car's computer change the gears, or do you want to learn how to heal and toe to brake, taking a much more active roll? Good tires and brakes are a must, along with frequent oil changes and annual brake fluid replacement with the good stuff. Tracking can be an expensive hobby.
Old 01-11-2018, 07:31 PM
mann277
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of good info guys, I really appreciate the feedback.

With the possible gotchas with the 987.1 I'm probably going to go after a 987.2.
Not sure it will be a base or an S but given the extra cost I the base is more attractive.

Dave,
My current car is manual(can heel/toe) and so it would be kinda nice to have PDK for a change(assuming) but then again with the caymans being low HP cars it may be fun to have a standard.
A track friend has a GTR and he seems to get all the driver inputs that he needs, so I'm not sure 100%.

What i know is, Track days are coming soon so after i do some days in the spring I'll be looking to pick one up after that and ant to know what direction I need/want to go.

David

Quick Reply: Newbie Cayman questions