Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Go for it? 2014 Cayman 6MT w/ 28k

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 09:57 PM
pimpsta213
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Go for it? 2014 Cayman 6MT w/ 28k

Hi all,

Newbie here. Been lurking on here for some time now and finally found something I just might pull the trigger on. But before I do, I want to check in with y'all experts to see if this is a fair price for the car (good deal?). The only thing that's I'm not too thrilled about is that the dealer refuses to discount the car even by a penny. This will be my daily driver so I do plan to put lots of miles on it and since it's certified, it gives me a peace of mind that I'll be covered for the next two years.

https://newport-beach.porschedealer....tallic+1665151

Any inputs are much appreciated and looking forward to joining you guys.

Thanks!

Last edited by pimpsta213; 01-08-2018 at 11:44 PM.
Old 01-08-2018, 10:46 PM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pimpsta213
Hi all,

Newbie here. Been lurking on here for some time now and finally found something I just might pull the trigger on. But before I do, I want to check in with y'all experts to see if this is a fair price for the car (good deal?). The only thing that's I'm not too thrilled about is that the dealer refuses to discount the car even by a penny. This will be my daily driver so I do plan to put lots of miles on it and since it's certified, it gives me a piece of mind that I'll be covered for the next two years.

Thanks!
That price is reasonable, especially since nit’s a CPO. Let us know how you make out. Good luck!
Old 01-08-2018, 11:06 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Pimpsta, welcome and best of luck on your car search. You're definitely barking up the right tree. I see there are 9 local cars for sale of this year and make (four of them at Porsche dealerships), ranging in price from $41 - $57K, so I'd say the price is definitely competitive, if not highly attractive given CPO. I'm not a huge fan of this dealership so it doesn't surprise me that they won't shave a dime, but, again, they are the lowest game in town at their current price, so it could be argued their intransigence is justified.

There's a very minute detail, which you may or may not have caught, to which you can attribute whatever significance you so choose: The only radio station pre-programmed appears to be 94.7 The Wave. If I were to dawn my Sherlock Holmes cape, I would conclude the prior owner's musical tastes ran very mellow as that station can easily put you to sleep. I would go further and hazard to guess from his/her listening preference that the prior owner was older and mature, not necessarily a bad quality to have in a prior owner. Yes, I know -- not scientific at all and huge assumptions at play -- but just a small point to note.

It would be important to get an independent inspection and do your due diligence, which I won't elaborate on further as you've indicated you've been lurking here and, if that's the case, you already know the drill on what you need to look for and what you need to do before pulling the trigger. This is a good starting point as you've found a competitively priced car with the added benefits of CPO. Best of luck!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:17 AM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,318 Likes on 787 Posts

Originally Posted by pimpsta213
Hi all,

Newbie here. Been lurking on here for some time now and finally found something I just might pull the trigger on. But before I do, I want to check in with y'all experts to see if this is a fair price for the car (good deal?). The only thing that's I'm not too thrilled about is that the dealer refuses to discount the car even by a penny. This will be my daily driver so I do plan to put lots of miles on it and since it's certified, it gives me a peace of mind that I'll be covered for the next two years.

Thanks!
Get the DME report before you even consider the car. You need to know the over-rev history, if any. That dealer is where I started my first career back in the 80's and I still know many people there. If you do buy it and intend to service it there, I will give you the name of THE technician you want working on your car.
Old 01-09-2018, 12:25 AM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Wow, I was going to point out the 94.7 station in jest but someone beat me to it! That interior can't take any more Kenny G.

It's also possible they reset everything or did a PCM software upgrade to version 4.76.

Anyway, price seems reasonable and assuming it was delivered late 2013, it's gone around 7k/year which is a healthy amount.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:12 AM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

As others have said, the price seems to be competitive. CPO definitely helps. If you like the car and PPI is clean, go for it!
Old 01-09-2018, 12:57 PM
pimpsta213
AutoX

Thank you all for your replies, comments, and advice. I'll check with the dealer to see if they can provide a PPI along with DME report. Will report back on how it goes!
Old 01-09-2018, 04:27 PM
pimpsta213
AutoX

Hi guys, I received the two attachments from the dealer re: PPI and DME. Looks like they performed the CPO service and oil/brake fluid change. On the DME, I don't think there are any red flags. Can someone help me take a look?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
DME.pdf (136.7 KB, 116 views)
File Type: pdf
PPI.pdf (2.82 MB, 125 views)
Old 01-09-2018, 04:56 PM
lcrain
Rennlist Member

Received 77 Likes on 39 Posts

No over-revs in any range, average speed of 15.4 mph. To say this car has been driven conservatively would be a vast overstatement. I think that is a fantastic buy at $41k with CPO.
Old 01-09-2018, 05:06 PM
pimpsta213
AutoX

Originally Posted by lcrain
No over-revs in any range, average speed of 15.4 mph. To say this car has been driven conservatively would be a vast overstatement. I think that is a fantastic buy at $41k with CPO.
Thanks very much, Icrain!
Old 01-09-2018, 06:57 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

The low average speed makes sense with 7k/yr as I'm assuming it was a daily driver at times and probably sat in a decent amount of traffic.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:40 PM
Benjamin Cherry
Advanced

Yes, ^ this. If the color and options excite you, I'd definitely go for it.

If you aren't in love with the car, wait a month or two and see what else comes on the market. You may pay a thousand or two more, but really LOVING the car will be worth it.
Old 01-10-2018, 09:44 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
There's a very minute detail, which you may or may not have caught, to which you can attribute whatever significance you so choose: The only radio station pre-programmed appears to be 94.7 The Wave. If I were to dawn my Sherlock Holmes cape, I would conclude the prior owner's musical tastes ran very mellow as that station can easily put you to sleep. I would go further and hazard to guess from his/her listening preference that the prior owner was older and mature, not necessarily a bad quality to have in a prior owner. Yes, I know -- not scientific at all and huge assumptions at play -- but just a small point to note.
No over-revs in any range, average speed of 15.4 mph. To say this car has been driven conservatively would be a vast overstatement.
Ha! My hunch that the prior owner's mellow musical taste likely correlated to an equally mellow driving styling appears to have been borne out.

Elementary, my dear Watson!

Quick Reply: Go for it? 2014 Cayman 6MT w/ 28k