Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone replace their windshield before?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 04:58 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Anyone replace their windshield before?

So 2018 got off to a cracking start. Rock cracked windshield As the title states has anyone replaced their Porsche's windshield before? Suggestions/recommendations? Never had to replace a windshield before in my 15 years of owning various cars. Any advice appreciated. Happy new year!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:31 PM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

I needed to replace my windshield last year and called the local P-car dealer to see what it would cost. Interestingly they sent me to a local small business that did a great job (N. Va.) Cost was about $800 bucks, using Porsche glass.

The original factory windshield had a lot of micro pitting. The new windshield is noticeably better.

Good luck!

Old 01-08-2018, 07:55 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've done other windshields, I agree with Pep, find a good Indy and have it done, it's not the kind of job I would remotely think about doing.
Old 01-08-2018, 08:20 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

I've had 2 done at the Porsche dealer, both covered by USAA. They brought in a second party to do the repair, but at least I got a loaner and felt better that it was at the dealer. First was my Boxster RS60 but was just a big chip but right in my center driver view. The other was a pop on my Cayman R's shield followed by a crack of about 18 inches.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:45 PM
PorscheStrong
Rennlist Member

Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Got a crack in my 996 C4 windshield - my auto insurance company covered the whole thing, and it was outside the deductible. Check your policy, I understand that's not uncommon. They definitely urged me (not quite pressure, but close) to use generic class; I insisted on Porsche glass, at ~50% premium in cost (maybe ~$900? Can't recall). Note that many P-Cars have antennae in the windshield.
Old 01-15-2018, 12:28 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Thanks for the replies guys and apologies for my delay in replying. Yeah I talked to my service advisor. He said he recommended Porsche glass. The glass comes out to 650 and the labor like 300 and then my PCA discount will apply. It's not the at I am worried about the money or the insurance part. It's more the fitment of the glass that worries me. Hopefully because Hennessey Porsche is a reputed dealer they will do a great job I hope. My experience with them has been great so far cause that's where I take my Spyder for it's service appointments etc.
Old 01-15-2018, 11:44 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

At the very worst, with your Porsche service agent and Porsche glass you have leverage if it's not a great job.
Old 01-16-2018, 01:27 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

I've got full glass coverage with my auto insurance.
My last GT3 had three windshields in two years. Four if you count the factory one.
I used the guy who installs glass for all the high-end dealers. Never an issue.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:00 AM
POPEUrban
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bill, I’m local, which company do you use?
Old 01-16-2018, 02:28 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

The windshield on my Cayman S was replaced due to a defect. No issues. I would only use Porsche glass and I would only use an installer that they recommend and use.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:33 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm in Atlanta and will likely use Jim Ellis as my CS collected a nice rock off the track. Not all glass is created equal. If its not Porsche glass use something like PPG (under new name now) so that if you are ever in an accident it breaks properly and you are not further injured to save a few hundred bucks...
Old 01-17-2018, 06:44 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Originally Posted by gman3280
I'm in Atlanta and will likely use Jim Ellis as my CS collected a nice rock off the track. Not all glass is created equal. If its not Porsche glass use something like PPG (under new name now) so that if you are ever in an accident it breaks properly and you are not further injured to save a few hundred bucks...
I am in Atlanta as well. I picked up my Spyder from Porsche Perimeter which I think is Jim Ellis. However since I am further up north the Hennessey showroom is close by for me. But yeah I am definitely gonna get it done at the dealership that way if I am unhappy with something at least they can work on sorting it out.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:17 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Finally dropped off the car at Hennessy. Will get worked on tomorrow and should get the car back tomorrow. Fingers are crossed all goes well! Keep y'all posted.
Old 01-30-2018, 02:44 PM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Had to replace mine due to a rock chip as well. Terrible roads where I am due to weather and general construction materials. I used a good indy shop that I have used for other, non Porsche vehicles. They gladly used Porsche glass at my request. Cost me my deductible only.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:33 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Got my car back. Everything looks great. Happy so far. Now off to deal with insurance for them to reimburse me the money back after paying only deductible. All said and done cost me $1047 out of pocket but then with insurance should be my $500 deductible.

Quick Reply: Anyone replace their windshield before?