Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

987.2 Spyder/PDK Additional Cooling - what are people using?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 07:37 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 61 Posts
Default 987.2 Spyder/PDK Additional Cooling - what are people using?

So I'm hearing that the PDK with track use might need some extra cooling? I've looked around at several posts, done a few searches, and it seems there are a few options. Curious to hear what folks have used?

I've driven my '12 Spyder pretty much stock here in Austin at Driveway Austin, and at COTA - have not had any limp mode issues yet, not sure about temp issues since I do not have monitoring installed. I don't think I am pushing it too hard - doing the 20 min sessions on the tracks - but I'm hitting reasonably good times and top speeds at cota (2:49 best lap, top speed 132) so it isn't like I am babying it.

I'd like to prepare the car better if necessary so I don't run into these issues. Before I buy the parts, just wanted to check in - is this the type of thing folks are using/I should be buying, or should I be putting anything else on the car? https://www.teambgb.com/BGB-Motorspo...-p/bgb_tck.htm

Perhaps the 3rd radiator? http://www.teambgb.com/Center-3rd-Ra...c_987c2rad.htm

Also planning to do a Solo DL to canbus to better monitor oil temp.

I have not had an issue with over-heating the water and I've driven in August in 95 degree days on the track, but I'm guessing as I get more aggressive that may come?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:20 AM
ALE
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 31 Posts

Go with the BGB cooler; it's tried and true. I thought the PDK spyders came with a 3rd radiator.
Best of luck and bring the beautiful car to Barber's.
Old 01-06-2018, 07:00 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Thanks - that is my plan. It doesn't look like the 987.2 Spyder came with a 3rd radiator, but will check mine when I get a chance. That would be a nice bonus.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:51 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 139 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
Thanks - that is my plan. It doesn't look like the 987.2 Spyder came with a 3rd radiator, but will check mine when I get a chance. That would be a nice bonus.
My 2012 PDK Spyder has the 3rd radiator . Not sure if the manual ones do but the PDK cars do
Old 01-08-2018, 10:58 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Both the PDK Cayman R and PDK Boxster Spyder came from the factory with the center radiator.
The BGB differential cooler is a worthwhile addition. Can also put a Guard LSD in while the car is apart.
Old 01-17-2018, 02:42 PM
gman3280
Pro

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I have a 10 CS PDK and my car came with the 3rd radiator. I ran all last year in Atlanta and around the southeast with no issues. I am absolutely not babying it! I do think ultimately more cooling will enhance the longevity of the trans and clutches. I think that the BGB one only cools the LSD side and not the gear side. I ran across one that supposedly did both but I can't find it at the moment. I'm a diy'er but unfortunately you need a PIS to make sure that the trans is filled with fluid properly so plan on taking it to a shop for this project.
Old 01-18-2018, 02:39 PM
djm68
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by daylorb
So I'm hearing that the PDK with track use might need some extra cooling? I've looked around at several posts, done a few searches, and it seems there are a few options. Curious to hear what folks have used?

I've driven my '12 Spyder pretty much stock here in Austin at Driveway Austin, and at COTA - have not had any limp mode issues yet, not sure about temp issues since I do not have monitoring installed. I don't think I am pushing it too hard - doing the 20 min sessions on the tracks - but I'm hitting reasonably good times and top speeds at cota (2:49 best lap, top speed 132) so it isn't like I am babying it.

I'd like to prepare the car better if necessary so I don't run into these issues. Before I buy the parts, just wanted to check in - is this the type of thing folks are using/I should be buying, or should I be putting anything else on the car? https://www.teambgb.com/BGB-Motorspo...-p/bgb_tck.htm

Perhaps the 3rd radiator? http://www.teambgb.com/Center-3rd-Ra...c_987c2rad.htm

Also planning to do a Solo DL to canbus to better monitor oil temp.

I have not had an issue with over-heating the water and I've driven in August in 95 degree days on the track, but I'm guessing as I get more aggressive that may come?
2012 Cayman R, my car came equipped with a third radiator, but the center cover was solid, not open. Swapped the solid plug for the open one. I have an AIM Solo DL wired into the CAN bus, which is a must for the track IMO. Watching water and oil temps in real-time will be an eye opener. Despite your idiot needle not moving on water temp, I can assure you that your water and oil temps were elevated. The water needle does not budge until you are really hot.

I installed the BGB diff cooler which certainly helps slow down the over heating progression, but does not fully mitigate the issue, but you should be good on 20 minute sessions, unless the weather is really hot. It is good insurance and I highly recommend it.

I'm still hoping someone comes up with a proper oil cooler solution for our application.

DJM
Old 01-18-2018, 05:59 PM
daylorb
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the responses. I ordered the new Aim Solo DL2, the BGB cooler, and a Guards LSD. Having them all installed in Feb along with GT3 LCA's.

Quick Reply: 987.2 Spyder/PDK Additional Cooling - what are people using?