Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Antifreeze question

Old 01-04-2018, 11:42 PM
Radioflyer3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Antifreeze question

We've owned our 2014 Boxster for a couple of months. The display in our 2014 Boxster on startup shows the antifreeze is low.

I need some help to figure out what antifreeze I should buy to top it up.

FWIW, we live in a rural area of Vancouver Island, Canada, some distance from the Porsche dealer and the owner's manual is really vague on the specifics.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:55 PM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Either use the factory premixed antifreeze or just top it off with distilled water. You'll likely be adding so little just using water will have virtually no impact on the freezing temperature of the whole system.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:15 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

+1 on the advice above. But also check to see if there are any obvious leaks. Hopefully you will only need a cup or two of distilled water but if it’s a lot more than that there could be a more significant issue, such as a leaking water pump. In addition tap the level indicator to be sure it doesn’t stick. It’s not very accurate.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:35 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Especially in a location such as yours I respectfully disagree with the advise above. Go to the internet and buy a jug of Porsche fluid, it's cheap insurance, the labor is free and you'll have it if a day comes when you need more. If savings is a priority pentosin anti freeze is available in bottles that don't say Porsche just make sure to get the right juice.
Old 01-05-2018, 10:51 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Just FYI, I also noticed this phenomena when the temperatures started dipping. I bought my 2014 CS as a Florida car, higher temps, maybe fluid was expanded more. Then brought it to Illinois and it was cooler temps, maybe pulled some of the fluid back and contracted. I had to add about two cups full of 50/50 Porsche coolant/distilled water.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:07 PM
Radioflyer3
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for you recommendations. With the information supplied, I was able to find a local supplier of pentosin antifreeze.

Expensive stuff in its concentrated form.
Old 01-05-2018, 01:16 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 257 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Ubermensch
Either use the factory premixed antifreeze or just top it off with distilled water. You'll likely be adding so little just using water will have virtually no impact on the freezing temperature of the whole system.
Can you share where you've seen the premixed antifreeze from Porsche (or any other OEM for that matter)?

I've seen premixed solutions from suppliers but as far as Porsche goes, I've only seen concentrated coolant that requires mixing with distilled water. I also verified with Suncoast that the 1-gallon container with the white label...

...is merely an older part number (043-301-05) but the same as the container with the black label (part no. 043-305-75):

OP - my warning light came on for the first time in 2 years a couple weeks ago but I had a gallon of the Porsche coolant (pink liquid) available. I ended up mixing it with equal parts distilled water in a separate cup, then slowly adding it in. Since the float is just in the filler tube and not in the actual reservoir, it doesn't take much for it to rise from MIN to MAX. Someone else measured only 50 ml to do that, but I haven't verified that myself. I ended up adding about 800 ml while keeping an eye on the float. The MIN setting is somewhat misleading since the float rests on that semi-circular platform, and once it does, it can't go any lower despite coolant being lost.

Note a 50/50 mix is good for down to -31° F (-35° C) according to the manual but the container itself shows -34° F (-37°). A 60/40 mix (antifreeze/distilled water) would protect down to -62° F (-52° C).
Old 01-05-2018, 01:24 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

water
Old 01-05-2018, 03:48 PM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Had the same thing happen in my '05 Boxster S after I got it and drove it for awhile. Bought some distilled water at the next grocery stop, topped it off with maybe a pint or so, never had a level issue since. That was two years ago.

If if needs more than a nominal amount, then pre-mix is nice. If it keeps needing coolant over time, then it's going somewhere and you gotta find out where. Make sure the cap is secure upon closing. Not sure about 2014's but my '05 had a succession of cap part numbers from Porsche, presumably improved function. I did replace that cap with the latest, just to be sure.

Good luck.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:27 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I have to laugh hard at the same board that thinks Motul RBF600 is too hygroscopic to keep in a car for 24 months recommending putting water in a Porsche cooling system as if the car was a winter beater.
Old 01-05-2018, 04:35 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

do you really think something bad will happen if you put a quart or less of water in the car
Old 01-05-2018, 04:37 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I don't see the logic in running the test, fluids are the cheapest thing you will ever put in a Porsche besides gas.
Old 01-06-2018, 10:50 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I don't see the logic in running the test, fluids are the cheapest thing you will ever put in a Porsche besides gas.
But, but, water is cheaper than gas. Even Distilled Water.
Old 01-07-2018, 03:12 AM
Ubermensch
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 92 Posts

Kisnarch, I stand corrected on the premixed coolant point. It's honestly been five years since I've had to buy some during a water pump replacement. You're right that it was straight coolant that I mixed to 50/50 with DI water.

Terb, the freezing point of alcohol/water mixtures are well known. It's not really an experiment if the chemistry is already well understood. The total capacity of the cooling system is in the five gallon (20L) range. He's probably going to add half a liter at most. So he's going from a 50/50 mix to a 52.5/48.5 mix. That changes the freezing point from about -39 to -36C. That should have him covered, even in Canada.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:11 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Mensh, Then being fastidious with small details on maintenance is arbitrary. As I said in another thread my Ford has seven year old brake fluid, stops fine. I'm confident the Spyder could go three years or more on the same fluid, no matter what manufacturer made said fluid. Having said that I will never leave the fluid in my Spyder as someday the car will be sold and I want it to have a complete maintenance history in accordance with Porsche factory schedules and future buyer expectations. I don't disagree with your assessment about the radiator in any fashion but I am curious as to why one practice requires strict accordance and the other can slide a little. Additionally if your car was at the dealer with low coolant would you expect them to add water? Would you be satisfied if that was the remedy? Genuinely curious, please know I'm not trying to be provocative.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antifreeze question