Just ordered 2018 718 Cayman..

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2018, 12:03 PM
9~factor
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by iiAtlas
I recently bought an airplane ...

Thanks for chiming in 9~factor, what did you end up settling on?
oh. a plane. well that puts things in perspective. lol

I ended up with 2016 Cayman GTS, PDK, White with 3,300 miles... and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!
Old 01-05-2018, 12:24 PM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Planes are a whole 'nother ballgame! Most of my clients' mid-sized to large corporate jets run $3k-$5k per hour direct operating costs even after you pay millions for the thing (jet fuel, maintenance plans, pilots, and on and on).
Old 01-05-2018, 12:53 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Congratulations! Looks great. Love the two-tone interior. It's gonna be a fun ride; much more than X5M!

I second the idea of getting 18s for the winter setup. Don't worry if that makes the car look 'clownish'! All you need is safety through snow/ice/sleet. Go for smallest wheels it can take (18s) and as narrower tires as possible. 18s will give taller profile (hence the 'clown' look). It will give much needed extra inch of ground clearance. Trust me; you will need it. Depending on your local conditions, you can choose the tires either for winter-performance or hardcore snow/ice handling. I use Nokian Hakkapeliitta on S2000 for hard winter conditions. Driving a sports car through snow is a ton of fun!

Congratulations on getting a plane. That's a bucket list item for me. Working toward it. We have an aviation forum here: https://rennlist.com/forums/aviation-172/ Please share your experience, plane details, etc.
Hey the_rider thanks for your tips on the 18's! I think the last gen 18" Cayman tires will be perfect. .5" less wide in the rear. Only annoying bit is the change in TPMS sensors...I will have to sort that out. I suppose the clown car look is a fair trade off if it gets me from A -> B! + then I'll get the secondary enjoyment of putting her back on 20's. Cool deal!

Thanks for the link to the aviation forum..that is neat to have here. Amazingly I just got back from a three week NY -> CA -> NY trip with the plane...WOW! Check out the write up here if you are curious: http://www.cessna172club.com/forum/u...=367671&page=1 All I can say about the plane is GO FOR IT. Nothing has been more rewarding, satisfying, or exhilarating than plane ownership. Truly a different ball game

Originally Posted by 9~factor
oh. a plane. well that puts things in perspective. lol

I ended up with 2016 Cayman GTS, PDK, White with 3,300 miles... and I absolutely LOVE IT!!!
Congrats 9~factor !!
Old 01-06-2018, 12:10 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Thanks for posting the Cessna forum link, iiAtlas. Started reading your threads. I am jealous! Agree; owning a plane is one of the coolest things you could do! Every time I see sunshine and spotless blue sky, only thing comes to my mind is, 'I should be up there flying'!! Assuming you have the time and resources, it opens up a wide ranging life style choices. I really, really wanna do it! Working on making it happen! Be safe up there; and, explore the world, though you are unlikely to cross the Atlantic or Pacific in Cessna 172! :-)
Old 01-07-2018, 03:18 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Thanks for posting the Cessna forum link, iiAtlas. Started reading your threads. I am jealous! Agree; owning a plane is one of the coolest things you could do! Every time I see sunshine and spotless blue sky, only thing comes to my mind is, 'I should be up there flying'!! Assuming you have the time and resources, it opens up a wide ranging life style choices. I really, really wanna do it! Working on making it happen! Be safe up there; and, explore the world, though you are unlikely to cross the Atlantic or Pacific in Cessna 172! :-)
Thank you for the kind words the_rider!! If you set your mind to it, anything is possible. Am sure you will get the plane some day and when you do...you will absolutely LOVE it! It definitely opens up a world of opportunity..the term "weekend trip" takes on a whole new meaning!

T-3/4 days until delivery..I can hardly sleep!! I didn't think I would be as excited as I am
Old 01-07-2018, 04:12 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Somewhere out there is a Cessna 172, N4622L. My dad was the first owner in the late 60s. I didn't know what a road trip was growing up. We flew all over, including to the Bahamas twice. He later sold it and bought a 182. Amazing these things are still around and still giving families joy!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:03 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by MidEngineRules
Somewhere out there is a Cessna 172, N4622L. My dad was the first owner in the late 60s. I didn't know what a road trip was growing up. We flew all over, including to the Bahamas twice. He later sold it and bought a 182. Amazing these things are still around and still giving families joy!
The level of care, documentation, maintenance, and love (most) planes receive is unmatched!! It is a pleasure to be the current "holder of the torch" in my 1968 172. Am sure N4622L is up there enjoying itself!
Old 01-07-2018, 05:06 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

9 awesome good for you, additionally you like PDK, now there's two of us...lol
Old 01-07-2018, 09:07 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by iiAtlas
...................If you set your mind to it, anything is possible. Am sure you will get the plane some day .....................the term "weekend trip" takes on a whole new meaning!
T-3/4 days until delivery..I can hardly sleep!! I didn't think I would be as excited as I am
Thanks, iiAtlas. That's all it takes (well, and, a few other things). Got to make it happen! Do you plan to gradually move up in the rating, such as Turbo Prop, Jet, etc.?

Good luck with the Cayman delivery. It's a sweet ride. You are gonna love it.
Old 01-07-2018, 09:45 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Thanks, iiAtlas. That's all it takes (well, and, a few other things). Got to make it happen! Do you plan to gradually move up in the rating, such as Turbo Prop, Jet, etc.?

Good luck with the Cayman delivery. It's a sweet ride. You are gonna love it.
Good question! But no, no intention of 'upgrading' My little 4 seater is as much speed and fun as I need. It is a forgiving and simple plane, things happen at a pace I enjoy. At the 150-200hrs/yr I fly, I think this plane is the right one for me GOOD LUCK with your journey to airplane ownership! And thank you for the comments on the Cayman..as mentioned I am far more excited than I expected to be. A good problem to have, indeed.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:32 AM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Folks,

All I can say is WOW! This is some car....I am absolutely in love. I had a great pickup experience with a very helpful technician and sales team. The Night Blue color is jaw dropping. I had assumed it was a simply a renaming of my previous favorite, Midnight Blue Metallic. Either I've lost my mind or it's different. Incredible depth, more flake on the base coat, very very cool! And the two tone interior is an out-of-the-park hit. It completely suits the two-seater car. It is very hard to come across in pictures, but when you are sitting in it the ratios are perfect. Just enough beige to make it fit my tastes, but enough black to keep it cozy and cockpit-like. The two way seats are a perfect fit for me and my passengers thus far. And the sound....I LOVE IT!!!! When I heard the thing first start up my jaw dropped to the floor. I could not believe it was MY car. I am enjoying the Bose speakers and they have no trouble overpowering the exhaust and making for a peaceful place to be. It's wet, cold, and the car only has 11 miles on it so I didn't beat on her too hard...but it is plenty quick for me. Now for some lame pictures! I will try to get better ones soon....

More (better) pictures coming soon!!
Old 01-11-2018, 11:42 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Very nice. I love the 2 tone.
Old 01-11-2018, 11:50 AM
lajoiedp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Congrats!! Night Blue Metallic was my 2nd color choice. Very nice.
Old 01-11-2018, 12:09 PM
iiAtlas
Advanced

Originally Posted by PorscheAddict
Very nice. I love the 2 tone.
Originally Posted by lajoiedp
Congrats!! Night Blue Metallic was my 2nd color choice. Very nice.
Thanks guys!! Hoping to share better pics soon...
Old 01-11-2018, 06:24 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Beautiful! cant wait to see some outdoor pics of night blue.

Quick Reply: Just ordered 2018 718 Cayman..