981 Spyder up for auction - Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Notices

981 Spyder up for auction

Reply

Old 01-04-2018, 10:25 AM
  #1  
DaveGee
Addict
Rennlist Member
Thread Starter
 
DaveGee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: SoCal
Posts: 495
Default 981 Spyder up for auction

DaveGee is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 10:31 AM
  #2  
Keadog
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Keadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,923
Default

I saw that as well. 20k miles, so not “low” mileage but sharp looking.
Quite a few cars there don’t meet reserve and from what I’ve read on the site, they don’t allow relisting if reserve not met except under “special” circumstances. There was a 993 recently that was relisted after the auction winner reneged.
I follow sale/high bid prices on cars I would consider owning; not just P cars. Some of the comments are hilarious.
Keadog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 AM
  #3  
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: NJ
Posts: 1,897
Default

^^^ I too enjoy going to BAT and see what is up for auction and the commentary is indeed entertaining ...
Only1Buck is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM
  #4  
tq.3z
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
Default

Whoever drove that car 20 thousand miles in a year or two is a champ. Are you on here? I have questions!
tq.3z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM
  #5  
Milehigh981
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Milehigh981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,688
Default

"Not a hater, but I have driven both the S and the Spyder and the performance (with a manual) is so close I couldn’t tell any difference. My point was that it is just is easy to spend another 7K and get 400HP on the standard S and have 35K left for gas money based on where these trade as “collector” cars."


Lololol. Uh..no.

Nice looking car, I wish I had the time to put another 10,000 miles on mine!
Milehigh981 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 PM
  #6  
guab
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 317
Default

Originally Posted by Milehigh981 View Post
"Not a hater, but I have driven both the S and the Spyder and the performance (with a manual) is so close I couldn’t tell any difference. My point was that it is just is easy to spend another 7K and get 400HP on the standard S and have 35K left for gas money based on where these trade as “collector” cars."


Lololol. Uh..no.

Nice looking car, I wish I had the time to put another 10,000 miles on mine!
Sounds like someone who doesn't care about sound or handling -- just flat out raw 0-60 speed. They should probably just buy a 996 turbo =) This car is special, but I suppose not everyone will understand.

Wonder what the reserve is on this thing.
guab is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 PM
  #7  
Dr.Bill
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Dr.Bill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Scottsdale, AZ
Posts: 2,958
Default

A bunch of stupid people are commenting over there.
Most, it seems, have no clue what a Spyder is. These web sites should mandate an intelligence test before posting! LOL
Dr.Bill is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:05 PM
  #8  
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Marine Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Temecula, CA
Posts: 12,525
Default

I’m surprised with some of the people knocking this Spyder, clearly they don’t know the car.

I don’t recall seeing this type of negative banter when the 987 Spyders were sold other than the top removal/installation.

Funny how some of the posters can be so fickle on BAT.
Marine Blue is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:16 PM
  #9  
Keadog
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Keadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,923
Default

Originally Posted by Marine Blue View Post
Iím surprised with some of the people knocking this Spyder, clearly they donít know the car.

I donít recall seeing this type of negative banter when the 987 Spyders were sold other than the top removal/installation.

Funny how some of the posters can be so fickle on BAT.
"Stupid people don't know they're stupid".
It's easy to be confident when you don't know what you don't know.
Keadog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:38 PM
  #10  
Suicide Jockey
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Suicide Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,149
Default

I'm not sure this would be the venue I would select if selling my Spyder. I know the cars sold on BaT really run the full gamut (and then some) -- from 959 to VW Thing -- but I think BaT excels at selling a certain type of car (due to the automotive interests of the typical audience member the site attracts) and I'm not sure the Spyder falls within that "sweet spot." If I'm selling my Spyder, I'm seeking out the most knowledgeable audience that knows the car cold, understands and appreciates what the car is all about, why it's unique, where it fits in the Porsche lineup, how it compares to past and current models, etc. I'm frankly not interested in trying to sell the LR Defender/2002tii/MB SL crowd on the car.
Suicide Jockey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 06:50 PM
  #11  
tq.3z
User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 182
Default

Isn't it just that Stimpy guy who's clueless?

At least his screen name is apt.
tq.3z is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
  #12  
Keadog
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Keadog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,923
Default

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey View Post
I'm not sure this would be the venue I would select if selling my Spyder. I know the cars sold on BaT really run the full gamut (and then some) -- from 959 to VW Thing -- but I think BaT excels at selling a certain type of car (due to the automotive interests of the typical audience member the site attracts) and I'm not sure the Spyder falls within that "sweet spot." If I'm selling my Spyder, I'm seeking out the most knowledgeable audience that knows the car cold, understands and appreciates what the car is all about, why it's unique, where it fits in the Porsche lineup, how it compares to past and current models, etc. I'm frankly not interested in trying to sell the LR Defender/2002tii/MB SL crowd on the car.
It costs $99 to list a car. Set the reserve high enough and, if someone pays over your reserve, you sell the car. If it doesnít meet reserve price, you know what one set of buyers is willing to pay.
Quite a bit of no risk info for $99.
And you only need two people to want the car, like any auction.
Keadog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM
  #13  
Suicide Jockey
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Suicide Jockey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Orange County, California
Posts: 1,149
Default

Originally Posted by Keadog View Post
It costs $99 to list a car. Set the reserve high enough and, if someone pays over your reserve, you sell the car. If it doesnít meet reserve price, you know what one set of buyers is willing to pay.
Quite a bit of no risk info for $99.
And you only need two people to want the car, like any auction.
True, and there were some decent prices brought for 987 Spyders sold on BaT late last year, which sorta shoots holes in my hesitation.

Regarding one's ability to "[s]et the reserve high enough," a friend recently tried to sell a limited edition 911 on BaT and the car was rejected by them because they thought his reserve was too high. Thus, I don't know what freedom a seller actually has on BaT to set the reserve where he/she sees fit. If BaT doesn't see eye-to-eye with you, then you're SOL as I understand it. Not sure I like someone else dictating to me what the reserve should be, although I can understand BaT's desire/motivation to sell cars and weed out sellers who have an unrealistic sense of what their car is worth.
Suicide Jockey is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 08:29 PM
  #14  
8 LEGS
User
 
8 LEGS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: San Francisco
Posts: 38
Default

BAT is not the place to sell a 981 Spyder. An early 70's Alfa Romeo GTV (BAT's favorite car) or a mid-to late '80s BMW 6 series (BAT's second favorite car) -- Yes. But not a 981.
8 LEGS is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 12:04 PM
  #15  
Milehigh981
Addict
Rennlist Member
 
Milehigh981's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Denver, Colorado
Posts: 1,688
Default

Originally Posted by tq.3z View Post
Isn't it just that Stimpy guy who's clueless?

At least his screen name is apt.


True!
Milehigh981 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: