DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts
Default 981 Spyder up for auction

Old 01-04-2018, 10:31 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

I saw that as well. 20k miles, so not “low” mileage but sharp looking.
Quite a few cars there don’t meet reserve and from what I’ve read on the site, they don’t allow relisting if reserve not met except under “special” circumstances. There was a 993 recently that was relisted after the auction winner reneged.
I follow sale/high bid prices on cars I would consider owning; not just P cars. Some of the comments are hilarious.
Old 01-04-2018, 11:27 AM
Only1Buck
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 51 Likes on 37 Posts

^^^ I too enjoy going to BAT and see what is up for auction and the commentary is indeed entertaining ...
Old 01-04-2018, 01:16 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Whoever drove that car 20 thousand miles in a year or two is a champ. Are you on here? I have questions!
Old 01-04-2018, 03:59 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

"Not a hater, but I have driven both the S and the Spyder and the performance (with a manual) is so close I couldn’t tell any difference. My point was that it is just is easy to spend another 7K and get 400HP on the standard S and have 35K left for gas money based on where these trade as “collector” cars."

Lololol. Uh..no.

Nice looking car, I wish I had the time to put another 10,000 miles on mine!
Old 01-05-2018, 01:56 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
"Not a hater, but I have driven both the S and the Spyder and the performance (with a manual) is so close I couldn’t tell any difference. My point was that it is just is easy to spend another 7K and get 400HP on the standard S and have 35K left for gas money based on where these trade as “collector” cars."

Lololol. Uh..no.

Nice looking car, I wish I had the time to put another 10,000 miles on mine!
Sounds like someone who doesn't care about sound or handling -- just flat out raw 0-60 speed. They should probably just buy a 996 turbo =) This car is special, but I suppose not everyone will understand.

Wonder what the reserve is on this thing.
Old 01-05-2018, 05:25 PM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 718 Likes on 394 Posts

A bunch of stupid people are commenting over there.
Most, it seems, have no clue what a Spyder is. These web sites should mandate an intelligence test before posting! LOL
Old 01-05-2018, 06:05 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I’m surprised with some of the people knocking this Spyder, clearly they don’t know the car.

I don’t recall seeing this type of negative banter when the 987 Spyders were sold other than the top removal/installation.

Funny how some of the posters can be so fickle on BAT.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:16 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
I’m surprised with some of the people knocking this Spyder, clearly they don’t know the car.

I don’t recall seeing this type of negative banter when the 987 Spyders were sold other than the top removal/installation.

Funny how some of the posters can be so fickle on BAT.
"Stupid people don't know they're stupid".
It's easy to be confident when you don't know what you don't know.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:38 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

I'm not sure this would be the venue I would select if selling my Spyder. I know the cars sold on BaT really run the full gamut (and then some) -- from 959 to VW Thing -- but I think BaT excels at selling a certain type of car (due to the automotive interests of the typical audience member the site attracts) and I'm not sure the Spyder falls within that "sweet spot." If I'm selling my Spyder, I'm seeking out the most knowledgeable audience that knows the car cold, understands and appreciates what the car is all about, why it's unique, where it fits in the Porsche lineup, how it compares to past and current models, etc. I'm frankly not interested in trying to sell the LR Defender/2002tii/MB SL crowd on the car.
Old 01-05-2018, 06:50 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Isn't it just that Stimpy guy who's clueless?

At least his screen name is apt.
Old 01-05-2018, 07:33 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I'm not sure this would be the venue I would select if selling my Spyder. I know the cars sold on BaT really run the full gamut (and then some) -- from 959 to VW Thing -- but I think BaT excels at selling a certain type of car (due to the automotive interests of the typical audience member the site attracts) and I'm not sure the Spyder falls within that "sweet spot." If I'm selling my Spyder, I'm seeking out the most knowledgeable audience that knows the car cold, understands and appreciates what the car is all about, why it's unique, where it fits in the Porsche lineup, how it compares to past and current models, etc. I'm frankly not interested in trying to sell the LR Defender/2002tii/MB SL crowd on the car.
It costs $99 to list a car. Set the reserve high enough and, if someone pays over your reserve, you sell the car. If it doesn’t meet reserve price, you know what one set of buyers is willing to pay.
Quite a bit of no risk info for $99.
And you only need two people to want the car, like any auction.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
It costs $99 to list a car. Set the reserve high enough and, if someone pays over your reserve, you sell the car. If it doesn’t meet reserve price, you know what one set of buyers is willing to pay.
Quite a bit of no risk info for $99.
And you only need two people to want the car, like any auction.
True, and there were some decent prices brought for 987 Spyders sold on BaT late last year, which sorta shoots holes in my hesitation.

Regarding one's ability to "[s]et the reserve high enough," a friend recently tried to sell a limited edition 911 on BaT and the car was rejected by them because they thought his reserve was too high. Thus, I don't know what freedom a seller actually has on BaT to set the reserve where he/she sees fit. If BaT doesn't see eye-to-eye with you, then you're SOL as I understand it. Not sure I like someone else dictating to me what the reserve should be, although I can understand BaT's desire/motivation to sell cars and weed out sellers who have an unrealistic sense of what their car is worth.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:29 PM
8 LEGS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BAT is not the place to sell a 981 Spyder. An early 70's Alfa Romeo GTV (BAT's favorite car) or a mid-to late '80s BMW 6 series (BAT's second favorite car) -- Yes. But not a 981.
Old 01-06-2018, 12:04 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tq.3z
Isn't it just that Stimpy guy who's clueless?

At least his screen name is apt.

True!

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder up for auction