Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911 owners, did you also get a 981/718 later on?

Old 01-04-2018, 03:32 AM
speed_kills
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 911 owners, did you also get a 981/718 later on?

I'm relatively new to Porsches and have/had a few 911's from 997.1 to 997.2 and now a 991.2 S. Also had a few sporty cars such as BMW M3, Mustang, GTR, etc. But I've never had a lighter less powerful sports car yet so I have some itch for a Cayman/Boxster 981 or even the newer 718's.

I'm curious, for the 911 owners out there, did you also own the mid engine Porsche's later on? And if you had both 911 and say 981/718 at the same time, did you ever find your Boxster/Cayman sort of redundant or do you find the experience dynamically different and positive in general? Or if you already have a 911 and bought an 981/718 later on, did you wish you just skipped the 981/718 and got a say more exotic 911 like a GT3 or TTS? And between the Boxster and Cayman, in current 718 form, both handle essentially the same right?

I guess like many, I had a negative impression on the Boxster in the past especially the first gen model as a "poor man's or hairdresser's Porsche". No offence meant but till today, I think there is still some stigma as I see some Boxster/Cayman owners wishing they could get a 911 if they could afford it (where I'm from, Porsche prices are easy over 2x more than the US). I know these are just stereotypes but since I hear such comments a lot, I'm guessing there might be some weight to it. I mean, there's probably no issue between say M3/C63 vs M5/E63 ownership so why for Porsche.

Anyway, after watching reviews of 981/718's, it seems that the Cayman/Boxster has matured a lot since and reviewers are all praises. So I'm a bit curious in potentially getting a used base or S to be added to my small 911 stable. I'm interested in it as a lightweight and fun to drive sports car. But if dynamically too similar to say, the 997 or 991's, I don't want to waste money like buying one just to resell again 3 months later as I've done previously. Unfortunately, Porsches are very rare where I'm from so it's not easy to find test drive units. Also, its sometimes difficult to fully gauge a car by driving it for a few minutes only.

Thanks for your feedback in advance!

Last edited by speed_kills; 01-04-2018 at 08:43 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 07:43 AM
CarAholic
Rennlist Member

Received 168 Likes on 107 Posts

I've had both, went from a 991S to GT4. They are both so different in driving dynamics I don't think it's redundant at all to own both. As far as one or the other it comes down to personal preference on the different dynamics. I absolutely adored my GT4 but it eventually grew boring for me. For fast mountain roads the car just obliterated them so effortlessly that over time it took the fun out of it. I came to appreciate the rear engine 911 as it brought more driver involvement to get it right. Drive both and see which you prefer.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:25 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

I picked up a Spyder, and totally different car .......weight under 2900 lbs fun car to drive thats topless. For me cars are about the experience, and never cared what some one thinks of relative value. The Spyder only came in a manual and 10 hp less than a GT4, and again the drive feel is very different than a 911. For me much smaller car and pretty analog, not like the old days but fun ........Spyder estimates around 800 in the US it’s a sleeper carnyou will appreciate it once you drive it. I actually sold my RS and kept the Spyder.

The following users liked this post:
ygdzoom (09-17-2022)
Old 01-04-2018, 09:43 AM
ChicagoSpeed996
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have had a 996 4S, 997.1S, 997.2S and currently own a 981S Cayman. I love the looks of the Cayman. I love the handling dynamics as well. More fun than the 911 as it rotates so easily and so balanced. While the 911 is a faster car in a straight or in the curves, the Cayman just feels more balanced like a go kart, more confidence inspiring as in controllability though the 911 is confidence inspiring because of the mega grip it has. So, as others have said, different driving dynamics. The eye of the beholder...the hands of the driver..... I do appreciate and miss the feedback (steering) of the previous 911 hydraulic steering, but I don't miss the interiors. Though I may pick up an early 996 for another daily.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:57 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Many of my 911 buddies have gravitated towards the mid-engine cars. Most own both now ('80's 911's, GT3's, 996TT's) plus 981's of various flavors. A few have fully converted. In my experience, the platform is gathering up a lot of mindshare among long-term 911 owners.

Dave

'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 01-04-2018, 10:00 AM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Interesting, because I have a 911 and I'm about to go look at a 2012 Boxster. Will be curious to see what others have to say. RJ
Old 01-04-2018, 10:41 AM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

In the modern era, I’ve had a ‘13 Boxster S, ‘15 991TT, ‘16 Boxster GTS and now have a ‘17 Targa 4S (Powerkit).
I disliked the TT because I have no use for a PDK (expensive lesson well learned). Allowing for my negative bias there, I still feel the 911s seem “big” compared to the 981 platform. My wife felt the Boxster was “too small”, so I ended up trading it for the Targa.
FWIW, anyone who thinks of the Boxster/Cayman as a “poor man’s” anything has no idea what they’re talking about (IMO).
Old 01-04-2018, 10:57 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 810 Likes on 424 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal RJ
Interesting, because I have a 911 and I'm about to go look at a 2012 Boxster. Will be curious to see what others have to say. RJ
Own a 991RS. Beast in every sense. Edgy and aggressive.

Wanted something more relaxed, analog and fun. Bought this.

Old 01-04-2018, 11:09 AM
softright
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a dyed in the wool 911 guy, 981 platform = new 911 in my book. The 991 cars are big cars these days. Great cars but big. I have both 991 and 981. I LOVE the 981 Caymans, especially on track. Very approachable car. This coming from a guy that club raced a 1987 air cooled car for 14 years (a less approachable car).
Old 01-04-2018, 10:06 PM
doctorayes
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts

I previously owned a 964 and 996. Now I own a base 981 Cayman and I love it. Planning on keeping it as my daily driver. These cars are totally different, both very enjoyable. Therefore I am adding a 991.1 to my garage.
The following users liked this post:
Randy_B (09-17-2022)
Old 01-05-2018, 10:50 PM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

911 coupe (991.1S manual in my case) and 981 spyder is sublime. Totally different cars for different purposes.

Old 01-05-2018, 11:23 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts

I have a 911 TTS coupe, which I love -- it's big, heavy, and absolutely incredibly fast, which is the reason I got it. I wanted a second, lighter, fun-to-handle mid-engine sports convertible (to replace my Vette), for a different experience. (If not for the convertible, I don't think I would have gotten it.) I'm as excited awaiting delivery of my Boxster GTS as I was awaiting delivery of my TTS.
Old 01-05-2018, 11:43 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

No, they’re not redundant. Yes, many 911 Owners, myself among them, have both.

Admittedly, I had a 991.1 GT3 and a GT4 simultaneously, for a time, and enjoyed them both. But I found the GT3 a lot more of an event to drive despite my preference for a manual transmission. So I traded the GT4 in late 2016 toward a future 991.2 GT3 (manual) allocation.

In Oct 2017, I traded in the 991.1 GT3 for a 981 Spyder, which I’ve enjoyed a lot more than I liked the GT4. See the thread I started on that topic last October for more on that.

I’m anxiously awaiting the 991.2 GT3 Touring that I have on order and expect to take delivery of in May. I plan to keep both and think they’ll compliment each other nicely. Spyder is lighter and a convertible. GT3 Touring coupe will be more of a sleeper, but overall faster and with a more exciting engine.

Who knows how I’ll feel after spending a few months with both. Perhaps the GT3 Touring will be all I ever want to drive? Maybe I’ll still find the Spyder more enthralling for its open top motoring, looks and connection to the road? Will see.

I suppose one could make a case for 3 or 4 different Porsche sports cars for different occasions: a winged GT3 or GT3RS with PDK-S for track weapon, a 981 (or future 718) Spyder with manual for open top lightweight fun on twisty mountain roads on the weekends, a 991.1 or .2 TTS or C4S for daily driver, and maybe a GT4 as a track car for variety?
Old 01-06-2018, 12:36 AM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog
Allowing for my negative bias there, I still feel the 911s seem “big” compared to the 981 platform. My wife felt the Boxster was “too small”, so I ended up trading it for the Targa.
FWIW, anyone who thinks of the Boxster/Cayman as a “poor man’s” anything has no idea what they’re talking about (IMO).
My first 2 Porsches were Carrera S models. It's easy to get caught up in the 911 as the market is pre-conditioned toward the 911 and away from the Boxster/Caymans. At least in the States where people can't refrain from passing judgement. Porsche certainly has placed considerable emphasis to pour in engineering to extract everything they can from the 911. Keep making it wider, Porsche, and keep inching the motor forward. It's almost perfect! Still I don't personally find it as fun to drive as a street car, or as visceral or rewarding. Maybe if I still lived in Germany where the engineering can actually be realized on a daily basis. I don't find most 911s particularly interesting these days, but do find them continuing to become more and more luxurious which isn't a bad thing considering the price. The extra interior volume is always nice. The Targa is the only 911 variant in which I would actually purchase if I wanted a 911. It seems it would be the most entertaining, even if it's heavier and perhaps less agile. There's just something cool about it, more so than other variants in the price range. Plus it's rare. But for now I'll happily continue to drive my '16 Boxster Spyder and appreciate its brilliance, as I did my Cayman R, '11 Boxster Spyder, and '08 RS60 Spyder previously. Most my drives are solo events, which I love because I can just enjoy the car and drive and pay attention to all that is happening without distraction. As a lifelong motorcyclist (currently own a 2007 MV Agusta F4 since new) I like that solo fun.
Old 01-06-2018, 02:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I recently drove a 991 GTS and was blown away at how well it can carry speed through a corner and how capable it is. But as others have mentioned the new 911 really has become a grand touring car and while it has incredible performance the actual driving experience is not what it used to be. There was a distinct lack of feedback and overall understanding of what the chassis was doing at the limits and I never felt that I was one with the car. In fact I would argue that the only water cooled 911’s that have the same level of feedback and driving experience as the mid engine cars are the GT versions. The 996 GT3 felt very similar to my 987 Spyder as far as the visceral feel and overall driver involvement. The problem with the current GT cars is that they start getting really fun at speeds way beyond what one should be doing on the street safely. They primarily belong on the track to thoroughly enjoy and experience. That’s the beauty of the mid engine Porsches, they can be driven closer to reasonable speeds and they are incredibly fun.

The “hairdresser” car still rears its ugly head and I still ocasionally run into car guys that aren’t as familiar with Porsches that will immediately write off the Boxster. To be honest I was one of those guys until I drove the Spyder. Much of my impressions came from the 986 which when introduced did not have lots of power. After reading articles upon articles saying the car could use more power and not being blown away by the styling I just ignored the Boxster completely. It wasn’t until the Spyder caught my eye at a car show that I gave them a second look. The Spyder was enough to make me get online and research the cars and that’s when it hit me that Porsche may be building what I consider the perfect sports car. That first test drive in the Spyder was like a shot of adrenaline and sealed the deal for me. It opened my eyes to these incredible machines and made me realize they are woefully underestimated and under appreciated by car enthusiasts.

My only concern is that Porsche continues to make their cars bigger and I worry that the next versions will become bigger and heavier which takes them further and further away from being a sports car, at least one that I would consider.

Crazy to think that the Boxster is celebrating 25 years today and it’s finally starting to get the recognitiion it deserves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 911 owners, did you also get a 981/718 later on?