Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeak/rattle under driver side dash. Help?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2018, 03:33 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Squeak/rattle under driver side dash. Help?

I love my Boxster GTS but it has more squeaks and rattles than my 17 year old Miata!

1. Squeak/rattle under the dashboard on the driver side.
2. Rattle in the passenger door.
3. Wind noise where the top meets the A pillar on the passenger side.

#2 is likely due to the tint job. I'm guessing they took the interior panel off. Rattles around the speaker area. I'm going to have the current tint replaced. Perhaps the issue will be resolved when the new tint is installed.

#3 is due to there being a slightly larger gap between the top and the A pillar on the passenger side versus the driver side. Does not make noise all the time. Only when driving in high winds.

Worst case scenario #2 and #3 will be addressed by my local Porsche specialty shop in a couple of months. They spent about an hour going over the car when I bought it and gave it an enthusiastic clean bill of health. Did recommend an alignment as the car currently is set up to a bit much oversteer. I want it more neutral, like it came from the factory. Their suggestion was to drive the car for 90 days before making ANY changes; even squeaks and rattles. Write down anything I notice or want modified in the first 90 days then handle it all at once. That way I have time to really get to know the car and I'm not paying for labor here and there.

#1 above is getting me though. The other two are easy to see and diagnose. I looked under the dash around the pedals and lightly poked a couple of things but nothing stood out. I'm wondering if there is a common squeak/rattle in this area and everyone already knows about it. I did a search for "squeak" and "rattle" and none of the thread titles immediately stood out as being related. The combination of X73, low profile 20" tires, and our terrible roads means I hear this noise pretty much constantly. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2018, 05:01 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I have literally all three of these when I drive over uneven surfaces lol. Subscribed to see what it is!
Old 01-04-2018, 02:00 AM
Jerry in Canada
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some people have had the drivers side squeak and found it to be the gas tank rubbing. They would hear it when the tank was pretty full and it would go away if the tank was near empty.
Old 01-04-2018, 12:05 PM
CaymanSinAR
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry in Canada
Some people have had the drivers side squeak and found it to be the gas tank rubbing. They would hear it when the tank was pretty full and it would go away if the tank was near empty.
Very interesting. I don't *think* I notice any difference between tank full and tank empty but you can bet I'm going to pay extra attention to that as soon as it is warm enough to drive again. Thanks for the lead!
Old 01-05-2018, 04:09 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

it seemed to me that it could be steering column bearings. mine did it really bad for a few days last winter, then it just went away. but that's where it sounded like it was coming from.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:05 AM
gearFX
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry in Canada
+1 on gas tank rubbing. Very common problems (happens to 991 too?). There is a technical bulletin for dealers on this.

Not sure about the other issues, but the wind noise may be caused by a side window not completely raising to top-most position after closing the top. There are window position reset/recalibration instructions in your manual. Rattle in door could be loose clip on the back of the door card (assuming you already checked the door pockets--including the "secret" fold-out/tilt-down pocket under the armrest!).
Old 01-06-2018, 01:26 PM
HardWon
5th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 981BB (built 5/2015) developed both a "rattle" and a "squeak" the day I took delivery. Sounded like a wooden car.

The squeak was the gas tank padding. Car was shipped empty and squeak started when the tank was filled. They dropped subframe and installed new pads.

But it still rattled. They found a loose bearing or pillow block on the steering column. Although the part was only loose, dealer replaced it. "It just should not be like that."

Took more than 3 weeks to get parts, but dealer loaned me a 718 BS. That car was *fast*!

5000 miles and no issues since. Great car!

Quick Reply: Squeak/rattle under driver side dash. Help?