Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is New 718 Spyder 4.0 gettable?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 01:48 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

Unless they put a 450hp version of the GT3 motor in it and call it a GT car, I don't think they'll be ridiculous demand for it. It's still a Boxster, and a lot of people don't love the 718 style changes. I think they'll be demand, but nothing like the GT car list nonsense.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:25 AM
CAlexio
Race Director

Received 1,963 Likes on 915 Posts

Having spent 3000km in a gt3 on the best roads Europe has to offer.. I can say my spyder was more fun. I'm not saying the engine of the gt3 isnt more impressive, or that the presence of the gt3 isn't greater, or that it doesn't have better steering a more solid chassis, better suspension, race car looks, more aggressive stance. What I'm saying, is the Spyder was more fun to drive. I may buy another.
Old 03-18-2018, 02:29 AM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by CAlexio
Having spent 3000km in a gt3 on the best roads Europe has to offer.. I can say my spyder was more fun. I'm not saying the engine of the gt3 isnt more impressive, or that the presence of the gt3 isn't greater, or that it doesn't have better steering a more solid chassis, better suspension, race car looks, more aggressive stance. What I'm saying, is the Spyder was more fun to drive. I may buy another.
Congrats on the GT3!

I will say that you wouldn’t be the first to sell a Spyder and turn around and buy another. In fact I think it’s a common trend. I think the only other cars that could offer the same visceral experience as the 987/981 Spyder would be the 997 GT3 and GT3 RS. Older cars will also offer a similar engaging drive but they’re not nearly as precise.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:07 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

I have a choice to sell my Spyder or give up my GT3 allocation, as I'm moving to a place with a one car garage and no good storage nearby. I'm likely giving up my GT3 allocation back to the broker. I just can't sell the Spyder.
Old 03-18-2018, 03:38 AM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue

Congrats on the GT3!

I will say that you wouldn’t be the first to sell a Spyder and turn around and buy another. In fact I think it’s a common trend. I think the only other cars that could offer the same visceral experience as the 987/981 Spyder would be the 997 GT3 and GT3 RS. Older cars will also offer a similar engaging drive but they’re not nearly as precise.
I fear I'll end up feeling the same as Alex as I've been considering a new GT3 since before my 981 Spyder and have enjoyed the experience(Spyder) more than expected. I also owned a 997RS and don't think it compared in terms of overall driving fun-off track. We'll see what the next Spyder brings but I'm good with this one if the next is not exceptional.

Last edited by NelsonF; 03-18-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 03-18-2018, 07:32 AM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Your experience is why I had trepidation in ordering a GT3 for the street which I did finally do. If I find it sitting in the garage more than expected as I'm tooling around in the Spyder I'll just sell the GT3.
Old 03-18-2018, 09:01 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

Sorry to hear about the experience ...........I was considering another GT3 minus the wing great cars but really needs to be on the track to fully enjoy. That’s why I sold my RS and kept the Spyder fun to drive around town just enjoyable. GT3 is still a fine machine congrats.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:41 PM
Z356
Nordschleife Master

Received 109 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The last time around there were plenty of Spyders sitting on showroom floors unsold.
When I bought my first one, there were 20+ to choose from. And I paid $2k under sticker
for the one I bought.
Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Here in So Cal the cars were also available and I, too, got my car at a discount. But I'm not
sure the past will necessarily be prologue when the 982 Spyder comes out because things
have changed a bit... I think the demand this time around for the 982 version will be greater...
The 981 Spyder was a total sales success compared to the intial market reaction
(from both dealers & customers) to the first 987 Boxster Spyder. Back in 2010, right
after the 987 Spyder hit the market, I did a pretty comprehensive analysis of the
inventory of unsold Spyders at US dealers. It was a very interesting exercise for
me. Yet it didn't sway me from ordering new one of the few MY2012 Spyders produced
in 2011.

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...y-is-huge.html

One can probably say that the Boxster Spyder has been, througout its two iterations to date, one of the most
under-appreciated models WHILE IT WAS IN PRODUCTION. Yet, after its production ended, also one of models
that has made the fastest & most remarkable come-back in popularity & demand. It's today widely recognized as
one of the best, most fun & a true value proposition in the entire Porsche modfel line! Other than some gt models,
nothing equals the high retention of value (as % of MSRP) as a 981 Spyder. And the 987 Spyders are also in demand,
but not as much as the 981 version!

I predict that the 718 version of the Boxster Spyder will be the most popular & desirable version yet of this model.
And I have a deposit in place for one.

Saludos,
Eduardo
Scottsdale

Quick Reply: Is New 718 Spyder 4.0 gettable?