Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

Is New 718 Spyder 4.0 gettable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 05:52 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,080 Likes on 1,005 Posts

^^^ Agree will be interesting to see the final product, but honestly more speed doesn’t do it for me because the more power means you have to operated the car at the upset end to enjoy or get arrested. The Spyder is the lowest HP’d car I own out of the 4 and it’s enjoyable, and the looks are stellar. Funny we’re in car environment with 700 hp cars on the street st some point it will expire, not sure how much more is achievable. The big stick contest is getting expensive and what’s funny most of the guys I know with super fast cars never drive them close to the limit.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:01 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

I definitely prefer the rear of the 981 to the 718 (taillights wise), but (especially coming from a GTS) the potential motor upgrade and Spyder styling would definitely be more important to me.

I don't really care if the car has gobs and gobs of power...just looking for more torque and (hopefully) shorter gearing!!!
Old 01-01-2018, 06:07 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Agree, the long second gear is the only negative to the car IMO. Though we all know why they designed it like that.
Old 01-01-2018, 07:00 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,011 Likes on 608 Posts

Originally Posted by FlamsteadHill
280 HP in a Boxster is fun
I had a 981 S and GTS. Really liked both but found the base 981 a little underpowered for me.
All great cars; personal preference.
Old 01-01-2018, 08:50 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Keadog

I had a 981 S and GTS. Really liked both but found the base 981 a little underpowered for me.
All great cars; personal preference.
I don't doubt it. Everything is relative. My most recent 2-seat convertible was an MG Midget...
Old 01-01-2018, 11:29 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Keadog

The best possible thing for 981 Spyder owners would be if they DON’T put the big NA 6 in it.
I’m on my dealer’s list for one, but only if it has “that” engine. I suspect lots of folks feel the same way. 400+ HP in a Boxster would be fun.
It certainly won't hurt -- I don't think it would alone cause my to switch though. I'm just after the noise =)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:53 AM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Just wondering if anyone (particularly Blueflame) is privy to any Spyder updates? Clearly it didn't show up at Geneva...fingers crossed for RRVI...
Old 03-12-2018, 02:43 PM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To me it makes no sense to make limited runs of something - if there is a machine that is popular - then charge more for it but make it 'gettable'. Perhaps there is a bigger picture or something that I am missing. I honestly think Tesla got their dealership thing sorted correctly. Direct to consumer. No hidden fees - what you see is what you get price. Easy peasy.
Old 03-17-2018, 01:14 PM
jeanrabelais
Rennlist Member

Received 163 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by JAhmed
Just wondering if anyone (particularly Blueflame) is privy to any Spyder updates? Clearly it didn't show up at Geneva...fingers crossed for RRVI...
My guess is NYAutoShow. Still interested in the next iteration. I think all 981 Spyder Owners are a little curious. NYC because the Spyder has a solid American Legacy.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:59 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,597 Likes on 879 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
My guess is NYAutoShow. Still interested in the next iteration. I think all 981 Spyder Owners are a little curious. NYC because the Spyder has a solid American Legacy.
IMHO, I agree that it will debut in the USA, not in NYC though. The 987.2 debuted in November 2009, 981 debut was April 2015 in NYC. Problem with the 981 was deliveries were in the Fall/Winter. LA deliveries happen early Spring through the summer... perfect timing!
I think they learned from the complaints of from last go. Nothing like waiting forever to get it delivered and having to wait even more.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:09 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Sorry to bemoan the point, but the idea of a 718 4.0 Spyder calls to me like a siren so If Porsche does make such a car, then will it be accessible to those with means like the last two Spyders or will this car become unobtainable too?

Is there market momentum building behind the Boxster Spyder Iterations? I know Manual Transmission and Top narrow the market, and the ever growing prices will also be an obstacle, but will the car be there (available) for those who meet all the hurdles?
If previous Spyders are the norm, I wouldn't expect to see any new Spyders on a showroom floor. If the 982 Spyder has a GT4 engine, you better have a great relationship with a Sales Manager or be willing to pay around $10K over MSRP. I suspect allocations will be very limited, so Dealers will offer them to their best customers.
Old 03-17-2018, 03:53 PM
Closertotruth
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by fast1
If previous Spyders are the norm, I wouldn't expect to see any new Spyders on a showroom floor. If the 982 Spyder has a GT4 engine, you better have a great relationship with a Sales Manager or be willing to pay around $10K over MSRP. I suspect allocations will be very limited, so Dealers will offer them to their best customers.
While I tend to agree with this especially given the craziness that we have seen with the GT3 it may be possible to be at the right place at the right time. I decided to look for a Spyder AFTER they were being built and delivered during the last go around. After some searching on-line I found an out of state dealer that actually had two sitting on the floor and was able to buy one at less than MSRP. However, as was mentioned elsewhere the timing was fortuitous. I purchased the convertible in January in the Northeast and suspect shopping for a cabriolet was not on many people's mind.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:13 AM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

My local dealer SA told me not much interest in 982 Spyder. This dealer does not do ADM. They sell at MSRP. I’m happy with my 981 so am not going to pursue a trade.
Old 03-18-2018, 12:44 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,857 Likes on 1,901 Posts

The last time around there were plenty of Spyders sitting on showroom floors unsold. When I bought my first one, there were 20+ to choose from. And I paid $2k under sticker for the one I bought.
Old 03-18-2018, 01:03 AM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
The last time around there were plenty of Spyders sitting on showroom floors unsold. When I bought my first one, there were 20+ to choose from. And I paid $2k under sticker for the one I bought.
Here in So Cal the cars were also available and I, too, got my car at a discount. But I'm not sure the past will necessarily be prologue when the 982 Spyder comes out because things have changed a bit. The 981 Spyder flew so low under the radar when introduced and got totally lost in the vapor trail of the GT4 which generated so much well-deserved hoopla the last time around. I don't think the next Spyder will be introduced by Porsche in the same way - at least I hope not - and I don't think it will play second fiddle to the GT4 as it did.

Plus, during the last several months, the Spyder's reputation as a canyon carver par excellence has really established itself and I think it's more on everyone's radar (at least around here on RL) than it was for a long time, particularly after the car was introduced. Bottom line: I think the demand this time around for the 982 version will be greater - much greater relatively speaking - than it was for the 981 and all the talk of the GT3 engine in the 982 is only going to fuel demand. Whether it will be high enough for stealers to charge crazy ADMs remains to be seen, but it wouldn't surprise me if they tried.

Quick Reply: Is New 718 Spyder 4.0 gettable?