Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

911T?

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 10:33 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
I agree with this Maverick - they do too many of the same things. I might even add the GT3 into that category as well. And this is where, for a second P-car, the air-cooled models come in. They are VERY different than a Spyder and IMO (and others, right Afshin, Amar,...) the perfection crib mate.
I had a low mileage air-cooled Porsche for a couple years, and even though I am sentimental about it, I sold it, ultimately, because the ownership experience was not all that awesome. Let's face it, even a low mileage, well cared for example is now a 23 or at least 20 year old car, that was built on technology from the 1960s. Fit and finish was poor, and it was a constant struggle to keep it perfect. Also, the air conditioning was so pitiful that it truly became a car for only perfect weather. Even on a 60 degree day, after sitting in the sun for a while, it was too hot to drive in, and the air conditioning never could catch up. I should also mention that I live in a very sunny, desert Southwest state. Anyway, the air-cooled cars are nice, especially with the suspension and exhaust mods that I'd done, but as far as any realistic modern usability, forget it. Not my thing.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:32 PM
crossroads
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Selo, I have a 987.2 Boxster S and plan to add a 911T as a daily driver. What attracts me to the 911T is the way I can spec it. Basically, I can get "S" options without the "S" price. It has LSD and SPASM which are not offered on the standard Carrera and I can get the textile seats without paying for the full leather interior. Also, the full buckets are cool but for practicality, I will choose the sport seats. One downside to the T is the lack of interior and exterior color choices. With some restraint, I can keep the price to just shy of $110K.

Zeus, I am/was also seriously considering a 997.2 GT3. I think its the best of the Mezger powered GT3's. I once had a 997.1 GT3 and just can't get it out of my head. However, finding a nonabused example which is reasonably priced is difficult. Its funny because many people who own GT3's say you have to take it to the track to realize its full potential. But people shopping for GT3's (myself included) are very wary of tracked GT3's. Its like that saying, what happens on the track stays on the track. Although these cars are designed for track use, you never know how well the owner maintained it. Also, there is the cost both in time and money to properly maintain a GT3. Tires, clutches, brakes, coolant pinning, RMS leaks, LSD service all require attention. And although the Mezger engine is reliable, if it does have a problem, its out of warranty. For me, these issues are the reality of owning a GT3 once the honeymoon is over.

So for me, I will probably get the 991T. I like the new turbo engines. I was skeptical at first but after driving it, I think it fits the 991.2 well. Some may pine for the sound of the NA 9A1 engine but when I had a 991, I plugged up the symposer tubes. And I would plan to plug up the 2 symposer tubes in the 991.2.
Old 12-26-2017, 09:49 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

As the automotive journalists return from Monte Carlo, sit down at their typewriters, and begin publishing their reviews of the T it will be interesting to see if any share the disappointment Pete felt with the T's steel brakes as he reported in his detailed reviews on the 991 and GT3 forums. Gotta say, that was a big bummer to read as the one thing historically you could always count on with Porsche was superior stopping power. His suggestion claim that the brakes just aren't up to snuff was discouraging. If this car requires PCCBs to retard momentum then whatever appeal it held for me fades as other options come into play at that price point.

Last edited by Suicide Jockey; 12-27-2017 at 12:28 AM.
Old 12-27-2017, 12:00 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews...t-drive-review

As the automotive journalists return from Monte Carlo, sit down at their typewriters, and begin publishing their reviews of the T it will be interesting to see if any share the disappointment Pete felt with the T's steel brakes as he reported in his detailed reviews on the 991 and GT3 forums. Gotta say, that was a big bummer to read as the one thing historically you could always count on with Porsche is superior stopping power. His suggestion claim that the brakes just aren't up to snuff was discouraging. If this car requires PCCBs to retard momentum then whatever appeal it held for me fades as other options come into play at that price point.
Same. Was very excited at first, but now less so. Not sure it all adds up for me.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:32 AM
Pep!RRRR
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

First, if you look at the roads he was on there is nothing shocking about fading brakes in any car. Second, OEM steel brakes will need to be upgraded for this kind of duty either at Monte Carlo or on track. There are many good options for doing this upgrade short of going with ceramics.

We don’t know if he was running stock pads and brake fluid, but if so, this could account for most of the problem.
Old 12-27-2017, 06:58 AM
f4 plt
Rennlist Member

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
In reality the T is similar in many ways to the GTS, it provides the buyer with a group of options that would be desireable if you’re not interested in bells and whistles.

I guess it has its place in the lineup but I do wish that Porsche would instead use their resources to figure out how to make their cars smaller and lighter.

To me the Spyder/GT4 is the smaller/lighter Sports car and I think with time people will realize it is a closer match to what the 911 used to be.
I feel the same way. After having a 2011 GT 3 and a GT4, both gone, I'm happy that I kept the 2012 Spyder and the '83 (lightened and tweaked) 911 SC, both are day to day more fun to drive .... smaller, lighter and more nimble. More so they have far less electronics. When PORSCHE put an electronic parking brake on a sports car they turned me off.
Old 12-27-2017, 01:53 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
First, if you look at the roads he was on there is nothing shocking about fading brakes in any car.
I hear you and watched the videos. The roads were insane. But I can't recall in recent memory any Porsche model test/review, whether it be on road or track, that complained about inadequate stopping power/fade. In fact, excellent braking is one of the signature trademarks of Porsche. Their cars are always over-braked, which is one of the things I love. While everyone else focuses on going fast, Porsche knows it's equally, if not more important, to be able to slow down. That's usually the brand's forte -- what it's known for -- to the point where great brakes on a Porsche has become almost a universal given, right up there with the sky is blue and 1 + 1 = 2.

Originally Posted by Pep!RRRR
Second, OEM steel brakes will need to be upgraded for this kind of duty either at Monte Carlo or on track. There are many good options for doing this upgrade short of going with ceramics.
For those of us who don't track, don't mod, and keep our cars bone stock, the availability of different brake upgrade solutions isn't a panacea, although I'm sure there are tons of great options out there that won't break the bank. Personally, my feeling is the brakes that come on the car should be able to do the job - and do the job well - without me having to seek out alternative work-arounds.

Bottom line: The standard brakes on the T were found lacking by someone who has driven a few Porsches in his day, which I found to be surprising and discouraging. Granted, it's just one man's opinion and that's why I will be curious to see if anyone else reviewing the T also finds fault with the car's stopping power.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

"In the Porsche 911 Carrera T Henry Catchpole revels in the delights of no distractions and asks whether this new stripped-out 911 is a GT3 Touring for the masses."

Porsche marketing is in full gear with the T portraying it as a real driver's 911 that one shouldn't hesitate to use as a daily or in the foulest of conditions.

Is it just me or does it seem like many of the reviews of the T take place in rainy, overcast weather replete with gravel and less-than-ideal roads where the car looks like a detailer's nightmare. Even the hardcover brochure for the car has the requisite pics of a filthy T (in Racing Yellow, of course -- wouldn't want to hide that dirt!) proclaiming, "This is a car made for the dust on the road, not the shelter of a garage."

This video seems to buy into Porsche's marketing of the T hook, line and sinker. There's more dirt on this car than I've seen in many Land Rover ads.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:32 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
"In the Porsche 911 Carrera T Henry Catchpole revels in the delights of no distractions and asks whether this new stripped-out 911 is a GT3 Touring for the masses."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Da9NeukzE4U

Porsche marketing is in full gear with the T portraying it as a real driver's 911 that one shouldn't hesitate to use as a daily or in the foulest of conditions.

Is it just me or does it seem like many of the reviews of the T take place in rainy, overcast weather replete with gravel and less-than-ideal roads where the car looks like a detailer's nightmare. Even the hardcover brochure for the car has the requisite pics of a filthy T (in Racing Yellow, of course -- wouldn't want to hide that dirt!) proclaiming, "This is a car made for the dust on the road, not the shelter of a garage."

This video seems to buy into Porsche's marketing of the T hook, line and sinker. There's more dirt on this car than I've seen in many Land Rover ads.
I like Henry's reviews and this one was fun to watch as well. I agree with his sentiment at the end re: a lower cost/spec 911. I'd love to see them bring back the 912 with the 4cl turbo from the 718S. That will only happen if the cayman goes bye bye since it would overlap though.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM
digitalrurouni
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would go with a lightly used last generation GTS and call it a day. This T is just the weakest model in the Porsche lineup.

Quick Reply: 911T?