Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-dimming mirrors in 981...

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2017, 10:08 PM
SpyderSenseOC
Rennlist Member

Received 1,319 Likes on 788 Posts
Default Auto-dimming mirrors in 981...

Anyone know whether a 981 without auto dimming mirror is actually wired for one? I can get the mirror pretty cheap (used) but I'm not sure I'm set up for it to work.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:17 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

It should IMO. But only way to know for sure is to drop the roof console, take a picture of the inside, and convince somebody else with your same car and auto-dimming mirror to do the same and compare. When I hardwired my V1 to the roof console I only saw 2 connectors (blue and yellow) deep into the console that I assume one of those was for the mirror. I had to dislodge the yellow from its mount to be able to insert the 100% reversible leads that hook to the back of a connector to power a detector. By the way, that yellow connector only had 2 wires (black and white), so maybe that was the mirror one. My car is fully loaded, but it's a Cayman. Boxsters are a little different. When I hardwired my brother's BGTS it was different. Don't remember exactly, but the yellow connector was waaaaay too deep. Had to use a different one to power his V1. That's why I suggested to compare the same cars. Good luck.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 AM
Dave H.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Location: Seattle - it's not Hell, but you can see it from here!
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think it might be more trouble than it's worth. i hardly notice any difference on or off.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:33 AM
Dave in Chicago
Rennlist Member

Received 243 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave H.
i think it might be more trouble than it's worth. i hardly notice any difference on or off.
Au contraire, my fellow Dave. I have to respectfully disagree, as my experience is the exact opposite. Our Boxster is the only car in the stable with the self-dimming mirrors. I notice the difference every time I drive one of the other cars in traffic at night. Add to this that our level in the P-cars is right at SUV/Crossover/Minivan headlight level and it becomes all the more handy to dim that nastiness away.

In fairness, I'm in the Boxster in traffic at night a lot (almost daily). So, for me, I've grown to relish it as much as rain-sensing wipers. Who knew these were both so nice to have? Love 'em both.

Cheers,

Dave
'05 987S
'92 968 SP3
'88 944 NA (gone)
Old 12-19-2017, 08:30 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Forgot to mention the functionality of it. In my case, it works very well. In fact, too well with my 20% rear tinted window. Can't see crap with the mirror active. Need to turn it off, so basically useless to me. But it's nice to have it in case somebody runs behind with high-beams, but you can always just move the mirror, I guess. Or flip the tab, if equipped. I also wouldn't bother unless you were going to also hardwire a radar detector or something.

Quick Reply: Auto-dimming mirrors in 981...