Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tire Sizes for 981 Boxster GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2017, 02:24 PM
Arty
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tire Sizes for 981 Boxster GTS

Hi All,

I have a 2015 Boxster GTS with 20" turbo design rims. I live in the mountains of NC and need a high performance all season tire rather than the P-Zeros I have now which are not inspiring confidence during this current cold weather and snow. Tires in the OEM 235/35 ZR20 and 265/35 ZR20 size are limited to summer tires only, but I've found a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires in the 245/35 ZR20 and 275/35 ZR20 size and was wondering if anybody had a view as to whether these would work or not. On paper the overall diameter and height are very close to the OEM size, and the DWS should fit the rims, so it seems like it should be OK, but an added complication is that this vehicle has the PASM option with 20mm lower ride height, and its not clear if that'll get in the way of this plan. Before pulling the trigger on the tires, just wondering if other on the forum had experience here to share?

Thanks!

Last edited by Arty; 12-17-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 12-17-2017, 03:10 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The manual of my 987.1 has recommended winter tire sizes listed. Yours may too.
Old 12-17-2017, 05:34 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

PASM on the CGTS is only 10mm lower than lesser models. The optional X73 sport suspension is 20 mm lower. And yes I believe those tires will fit. Try search, I think others have successfully mounted these tires.
Old 12-17-2017, 07:55 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Arty
I have a 2015 Boxster GTS with 20" turbo design rims. I've found a set of Continental ExtremeContact DWS 06 tires in the 245/35 ZR20 and 275/35 ZR20 size and was wondering if anybody had a view as to whether these would work or not.
That's exactly what I might do to my 2016 CGTS if I don't end up selling my car. And yes, at least one other owner did exactly that, and he has X73, just like me, so zero worries. And he reported very similar handling. By the way, you could mount those tires on the stock width wheels, but your turbo wheels (just like mine) happen to be 1/2" wider all around, which makes them a bit wide for the stock tire sizes, so the uprated 245/275 would be just about perfect. The only difference will be about a 3.5mm increase in car overall height, and the same distance less fender gap. In real life, the difference could be less or more depending on which tires you have. My F1 tires are taller than my brother's P-Zero, so maybe my car won't change at all. I personally think all non-track oriented vehicles should come with those tires (ultra high-performance all-season) standard, with summer optional. They have the same Y speed rating and AA A temperature/traction rating than the best max summer tires, like the new Pilot 4Ss. They're only a couple of notches below summer tires, and if you live in the mountains, I bet the DWS06 will grip better than your summer tires even in summer, since up in the mountains it never gets hot enough for optimal summer tire temperature. Only on a track. And in mild winters (like here in TX), they make the car usable the entire winter, since we still see a lot of freezing and near freezing where it's very unsafe to drive in summer tires, even when dry. I should make the final decision if I'll sell my CGTS or not this month, and proceed to replace the tires if I keep it. If you do it before, please post your experiences too. Besides being able to drive your car too, it'll be quieter, ride a bit better, tires will last a lot longer, and are cheaper than summer tires. Good luck.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:19 AM
Yellowbyrd
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the High Sierras of California, and I've run Michelin Alpin PA4 tires for the past three years in the winter. My summer tires are Michelin Super Sports. I love the performance of the winter tires on snow and in cold, rainy conditions. They afford an enormous degree of traction and confidence in these conditions. Just how much is the safety of your car and your passengers worth?

Quick Reply: Tire Sizes for 981 Boxster GTS