Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Taillight Leak. Fix it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 09:46 AM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Taillight Leak. Fix it?

When I got out of the car (981 Spyder) and I noticed condensation inside the rear taillight. This means that there is a leak. The car is still undar warranty. Fix it or leave it? I had a BMW Z8 where the headlight leaked and they replaced it. Thoughts?
Old 12-16-2017, 09:58 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Need to at least investigate the potential for warranty replacement, first order of business.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:06 AM
LexVan
Banned

Received 5,388 Likes on 2,509 Posts

I suspect your dealership is going to tell you that's normal. Was there a recent temperature swing? Those rear tail lights have "breather holes" and you can get that condensation under certain conditions.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:11 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Lex is probably right but like dating: "no brass ***** no blue chips". If you are a frequent washer (like most of us) be mindful not to blast that area with strong hose pressure.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:14 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

That’s not a leak it’s condensation tail lights are not sealed on P cars not sure why. It will dry out, and after 4 Porsche’s they all have done it. (991S, GT3, RS, Spyder) There was a long thread here some place on the board. Headlights are sealed vs tails.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:17 AM
r553
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 54 Posts

It is normal.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:25 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

I've never seen it and if I did I'd be pissed off, after all my third of the cost Ford has never had a problem with said condensation.
Old 12-16-2017, 10:33 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Possibly didn’t exist your model years. It’s dries out and never had an issue nor caused a problem. Dealer will send you back home .....it’s plastic no harm from condensation. Shouldn’t happen .........but there is nothing to break.

Old 12-16-2017, 01:57 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Here is the recent thread in this forum on this issue:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...densation.html

A quick search reveals that taillight condensation has been reported on various models throughout the Porsche range, so, as others have indicated, it seems somewhat common and I'm not sure it is anything to worry about.

Now if you were experiencing "condensation" similar to that on this 997, then my advice would be entirely different!

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ht-issues.html

argh moisture
Old 12-16-2017, 02:07 PM
texasviany
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks everyone. (Love this forum.) I rarely wash the car, so its not that and I have not has this occur in the other P cars that I have owned (8).

I will leave it be. That image of the 997 looks nasty!
Old 12-16-2017, 03:19 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,604 Likes on 883 Posts

Wow... looks like that 997 went swimming
Old 12-16-2017, 05:16 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
I've never seen it and if I did I'd be pissed off, after all my third of the cost Ford has never had a problem with said condensation.
I'm with you on this. While it may be nothing to worry about, it's inexcusable on a car like the 981 Spyder, or any Porsche for that matter. The fact that my quick search turned up several examples of this across the model range tells me it's no secret to Porsche, so I'm sure they're aware of it (and have probably heard from dealers moaning about overly concerned customers bringing their cars in for this reason). Why not address it? I don't care if there is some great/legitimate reason why this happens. The bottom line is, it's a bad look for P. Anything that can cause someone -- whether they be a Porsche expert or someone who knows zero about cars -- to call into question quality of build is something P should be concerned about. As you say, if every other manufacturer can make rear lenses that don't fog up with condensation when the car is washed, then certainly P can rise to the occasion.
Old 12-16-2017, 05:28 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

SJ, My guess is all the lights are built by a supplier to Porsche, still your point about it being a bad look and a statement about the company overall should not be overlooked. How hard is it to call the supplier and politely explain they need to raise their game?
Old 12-16-2017, 11:06 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

According to on-line manuals a little condensation is normal--through the vent holes--and should dry out in normal driving.
If it doesn't dry out then I'd be looking for dealer input.
Old 12-16-2017, 11:46 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GregWormald
According to on-line manuals a little condensation is normal--through the vent holes--and should dry out in normal driving.
Thanks, Greg. A good reminder that you can learn a lot by reading the manual!

Frankly, I don't care if it's normal or not. It looks bad. Visible water/moisture infiltration suggests to the average person (and probably most owners) that something is amiss due to a failed seal, a leak, or some other problem. If, as others have indicated, Porsche purposefully doesn't "seal" the lenses when other manufacturers do, then I'm curious why? I'm no engineer so there may be a damn good reason, but, as a layman, I'll take a solution that keeps water out over a solution that allows water in. Call me stupid that way!

Again, it's hardly a huge deal, but it's one of those dumb things that makes you scratch your head. It's fine to chart your own course, but when everyone is zigging and you're zagging, it may be prudent to take a step back and reconsider; particularly if your course, as well thought out as it may be, leads average people to assume you have a quality control issue. Not good.

Quick Reply: Taillight Leak. Fix it?