Sponsored by: APR

981 Spyder & GT4 Wheel Weights

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 06:33 PM
MidEngineRules
Burning Brakes

Received 255 Likes on 151 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Are lighter wheels more susceptible to failure? Does fragility increase with reduced weight, as they get punished with pot holes, bumps, dips, etc.? Forged process could be stronger than cast. With multiple pieces in a forged wheel, is the failure isolated to the individual piece, theoretically? I have been running Forgeline in S2000 for close to 10 years; have been extremely reliable.
Forged is stronger pound per pound but they aren't necessarily stronger than a good cast wheel based on the wheel design, especially with today's offsets putting extreme stress on the inside edge. There's no way to determine which are actually stronger without subjecting them to failure tests which no one is going to do. I prefer stronger to saving a few pounds if a heavier and thicker cast is potentially stronger. OEM is the least expensive option anyway since you have them already. The weight savings is less significant due to the tire being equally as heavy and at the perimeter. I think most who spend thousands on new wheel packages are going to believe they can feel a big difference. Maybe they can, or maybe it's just wishful thinking. The only time I can really tell is on race bikes. But there you can easily shave 50% total weight with forged or carbon fiber wheels. There's more rotating mass than just the wheels and tires. When you add it all up, the savings isn't as great in terms of % saved. And the savings is not at the outer edge where it makes the most difference. I bought my last aftermarket wheels years ago. It may be noticeable but I don't want a wheel made for dozens of different cars. Nothing special about that. I love my Spyder's wheels, especially in matt black.
Old 03-18-2018, 11:05 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Good explanation; thanks. Lighter wheels seem to have significant positive impact on motorcycles in particular. It seems, ridden back to back with forged/CF wheels vs cast, riders were able to perceive the difference in flickability, turn-in, etc. Besides weight savings, you do get personalization. And, yes, Spyder's wheels are good.
Old 03-19-2018, 08:55 AM
aryork
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by the_rider
Good explanation; thanks. Lighter wheels seem to have significant positive impact on motorcycles in particular. It seems, ridden back to back with forged/CF wheels vs cast, riders were able to perceive the difference in flickability, turn-in, etc. Besides weight savings, you do get personalization. And, yes, Spyder's wheels are good.
Right! I rode and raced (amateur) dirt bikes a lot when I was younger. Had not thought about lighter wheels in that context, but the effect would be even more pronounced on a motorcycle I would guess. I had a 250 cc MX bike most of the time and recall riding a 500 cc bike several times. Even though the 500 only weighed about 10 lb more, the additional moving mass made it feel like the gas tank was filled with lead - very hard to turn and move that bike compared to the 250. I imagine things like this are critical for superbikes on the track.
Old 03-19-2018, 10:38 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Yeah, riders tracking with CF wheels rave about turn-in. Even on the streets, they make a difference. The suspension needs to be tweaked accordingly as well.
Old 03-29-2018, 06:13 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 988 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by lovetoturn
A set of HRE R101 Lightweight wheels weight only 16 pounds front and 19.4 pounds rear. That is a total of 70.8 pounds compared to 98.2 pounds for the OEM wheels. That is a loss of 27.4 pounds just for the wheels alone! An expensive one, but a rather significant one.
I ordered a set of Forgeline CF205s this week. I think the fronts, 20x9, are 16 lb. and observed a rear, 20x11, on a scale at 17 lb. 13 oz. That's a good savings on unsprung weight and they are great looking with the large CF weave. Did the centers in Pearl Grey.
Old 03-30-2018, 09:23 AM
wizee
Rennlist Member

Received 823 Likes on 452 Posts

Due to the combined impact of linear and rotational inertia of a wheel, back of the napkin calculations I did last week estimated that the impact on acceleration of weight savings on wheels is amplified by a factor of approximately four. The exact factor depends on the radial weight distribution of a wheel, but this factor was based off my guesstimated weight distribution knowing the approximate cross section of typical wheels.

If we use my factor of four, it would mean that 16 lbs of wheel weight savings (4 lbs per wheel) would be equivalent to removing 64 lbs from the body of the vehicle with respect to acceleration improvements.

My own 987 Boxster currently has 18x8.5 front and 18x11 rear Turbo Look II wheels off a 996 C4S. They were installed by the previous owner. Somehow, they just (barely) fit without spacers, and the 265 wide tires on the rear look a bit stretched on 11” wide wheels. I’ve ordered new BBS RIA 18” forged wheels that are 18.5/19.5 lbs, much less than my current 28/32 lbs cast wheels. The BBS RIA aren’t the lightest wheels around, but they’re forged and reasonably priced to suit my car (around $1k USD per wheel). I’m pretty excited about reducing my wheel weights by 44 lbs total, as that should be equivalent to removing a passenger with regards to acceleration.

Last edited by wizee; 03-30-2018 at 10:45 AM. Reason: Typos

Quick Reply: 981 Spyder & GT4 Wheel Weights