Sponsored by:

718 Boxster review shorty

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 02:34 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts
Default 718 Boxster review shorty

I received a 718 Boxster as a loaner today after dropping off my GT4 for it's intermediate service. I must say, I was unusually surprised at the eagerness and street driving composure of the car, after driving it around for the day, running errands, and driving the 1hr to/from the dealership. The midrange grunt is definitely accessible, and effective. You can accelerate in a higher gear readily when I would have to downshift in the GT4. Turbo lag wasn't noticeable by my butt. Steering isn't as taut as the GT4, or as communicative. The chassis does have alittle bit of "laziness" given the convertible nature and damper compliance. But this is nitpicking and for the street, still quite a nimble machine. Interior noise was more quiet than I thought given the soft-top. I do agree engine note is lacking, but given how well the car drove, I was able to overlook.

All in all, I feel that you get a pretty darn good performance and looks value with the Base 718. I enjoyed my time.
Old 12-18-2017, 12:26 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

I agree with everything you say. But by the time you put on a few options, it's not a cheap car anymore, and that's where I think it loses its value proposition. For $80-90,000, one has a lot of choices. Also, I'd guess most people who can afford 80 or 90 can also afford 100, and get into a base C2, with more standard features such as 6 cyl. Motor and PASM.
If I think of spending a max of 85 for a 4 cyl turbo, somehow I always end up back at 65 for a nicely specced C7 GS.

Quick Reply: 718 Boxster review shorty