Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding "ESC Off" and "ESC +TC Off" To a 981

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 05:22 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Received 76 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Adding "ESC Off" and "ESC +TC Off" To a 981

Anyone know if the GT4's "ESC Off" and "ESC +TC Off" can be added to a 981 Base, S or GTS?
Old 12-07-2017, 07:48 AM
erik_plus8
Burning Brakes

Received 57 Likes on 40 Posts

Is it not the same as "PSM Off"?
Old 12-07-2017, 12:29 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

It is more like the new options with the 718
and 991.2 though they have the option of no traction contol with Stability contol which would be ideal for many.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:29 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by erik_plus8
Is it not the same as "PSM Off"?
Both together yes, since PSM=ESC + T/C... but can't switch them off separately, like on GT cars. However, I'm almost sure PSM comes back on if ABS is activated, something that might not happen on GT cars. Not sure, but hopefully we can get answers from the experts. I haven't pushed my car with PSM off yet, since I don't feel it makes the car any quicker, and sliding only wears the tires quicker, so why. But maybe other more aggressive/track drivers can chime in.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:40 PM
dsddcd
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Both together yes, since PSM=ESC + T/C... but can't switch them off separately, like on GT cars. However, I'm almost sure PSM comes back on if ABS is activated, something that might not happen on GT cars. Not sure, but hopefully we can get answers from the experts. I haven't pushed my car with PSM off yet, since I don't feel it makes the car any quicker, and sliding only wears the tires quicker, so why. But maybe other more aggressive/track drivers can chime in.

Agreed, the GTS is my wifes and she drives with full nanies but when I drive there is some intervention. Really the ideal for her would be more like or Z06 where I can choose from several levels but I will take what I can get as her GTS is so much more fun!
Old 12-07-2017, 09:15 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

You could also use sport+, which relaxes the nannies more than sport. I like everything in sport (which I use 100% of the time), but since I always drive in manual mode, switching to sport+ wouldn't make any difference except the more relaxed nannies (same thing for a manual car), plus faster/jerkier shifts, which I don't like or need. In auto, sport+ shifts at redline, which is pretty much useless except at the track at full tilt. In sport, PDK shifts are almost instantaneous, so why stress the drivetrain more. If I ever feel the need to drift to finish off a set of tires or something, could always switch it to sport+ or PSM off, but typically don't like to abuse my cars.

Quick Reply: Adding "ESC Off" and "ESC +TC Off" To a 981