Notices
981 Forum Discussions of the 3rd Gen Boxster and 2nd Gen Cayman (2012-2016)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

981 Technology Update?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 01:44 PM
8 LEGS
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 981 Technology Update?

I received an email from Porsche telling me that my '16 Spyder was due for a no-charge "technology update." Anyone know what this is about ? The service department at my local dealer leaves a lot to be desired and I have my car serviced by an independent mechanic instead. I would rather not take it in if this "update" is not a big deal.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:25 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 8 LEGS
The service department at my local dealer leaves a lot to be desired...
That is a saaaad statement. And truly unfortunate. Not many great dealerships out there anymore. And the level of technician competence is woefully low.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:33 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VirgilKane
That is a saaaad statement. And truly unfortunate. Not many great dealerships out there anymore. And the level of technician competence is woefully low.
I had the same notice last spring and it was for a useless radio system update...
Old 12-06-2017, 03:12 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Porsche,does not have enough leverage with their dealer channel, pretty common in the industry. As such these dealers are pursuing their best chances at profits without regard to their vendors. My company struggled with it too and Porsche is a complete fail at it. The dealer near me in NY has more dicks than a national Richard convention. Across three cars over many years I was completely let down by their incompetence and list plus twenty attitude.
Old 12-06-2017, 03:24 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
The dealer near me in NY has more dicks than a national Richard convention.
Oh man, that one's going in my repertoire. lol
Old 12-06-2017, 07:57 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 8 LEGS
I received an email from Porsche telling me that my '16 Spyder was due for a no-charge "technology update." Anyone know what this is about ?
I haven't received such an email from Porsche so my first inclination was to say ignore it as marketing fodder designed to drive foot traffic to your local dealer's service department ("Come on in for a free 30-point inspection!"), but the fact that the email is coming directly from Porsche and not a dealer makes me hesitate to dismiss it entirely. Probably a quick call to your dealer's service department can shed some light, but I don't see any recalls or TSB's for our car:

Having said that, some who have received such "technology update" notices from Porsche in the past report that they took their cars in and, indeed, some upgrade (software or otherwise) was performed. See these threads:

http://www.planet-9.com/981-cayman-a...gy-update.html

https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8651...gy-update.html

I'll report back if I get a similar email from Porsche. It could be that these emails are only directed to owners of cars produced during a certain time frame such that not every 981 Spyder owner would necessarily receive one.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:31 PM
kiznarsh
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by GT3 Techno
I had the same notice last spring and it was for a useless radio system update...
It's probably this.

OP - what's your PCM version? My '16 had version 4.75 and I went it (voluntarily) to upgrade it to version 4.76 which fixed some intermittent Bluetooth connectivity issues.
Old 12-15-2017, 12:56 AM
titleistaddict87
Three Wheelin'

Received 124 Likes on 102 Posts

Anyone get this done already and know what exactly was updated? Don't want to waste a day going to the dealership if I don't have to.
Old 12-15-2017, 06:02 PM
skl
Official Wednesday AM Red Bull F1 test driver
Rennlist Member

Received 880 Likes on 533 Posts

Got the same letter (see my other thread- didn't see this one first- sorry for the enzo) and am tempted to ignore it. I'd call the dealer and ask but doubt the chick answering the phone in the service department will have any idea what I'm talking about... (or a guy for that matter.)

Quick Reply: 981 Technology Update?