Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tinted taillight photo request please
Old 12-08-2017, 04:52 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Originally Posted by GT TREE
Ah yes. Rear view camera is a must for me. Also like the rear tinted tail lights much better than the all red. Both of which my car has.... ;-)
Agreed. I have both on my current Spyder, and didn't on the one I sold. Very much like both of these options.
Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Archimedes
Agreed. I have both on my current Spyder, and didn't on the one I sold. Very much like both of these options.
The lack of a rear view camera is more of a deal killer to me than the taillights. Just don't see why every car over $25,000 doesn't have one as standard equipment. In addition to the convenience of them, they save lives. And let's face it. The technology is cheap.
Old 12-08-2017, 05:04 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,605 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by VirgilKane
The lack of a rear view camera is more of a deal killer to me than the taillights. Just don't see why every car over $25,000 doesn't have one as standard equipment. In addition to the convenience of them, they save lives. And let's face it. The technology is cheap.
they are standard now
Old 12-08-2017, 11:48 PM
GT TREE
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VirgilKane
I sent you an email.
Email replied.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:37 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

FWIW, I paid around sticker (which MSRP was around $97k or $98k -- can't recall) for a Guards Red Spyder back in late July. It was CPO, 1 owner, 8300 miles. No buckets. Clean car (no overrevs, did full PPI, paint meter, etc). About a 2" wide section of the VERY bottom of the driver side front fascia had been touched up, and there were 1 or 2 rock chips that are only noticeable if you're literally hovering under a foot from the paint in the right light. I did minor paint correction, XPEL, and gtechniq.

Very happy with the purchase. Not worried about value, but have ~9400 miles on it as of today (about 1100 miles in 5 months, 600 of which were in the first week)... loving every drive. I wouldn't daily it though....not that type of car IMO. As far as value, 5 months later and it appears I would still fetch what I paid. So I'm happy about that. 60% of MSRP for 987.2 Spyders sounds way too low -- think it's closer to 70-75% assuming lower mileage and manual.

Unless the new 718 Spyder has a 9000 RPM GT3 motor -- I'm sticking to the 981. I really want to put a set of Dundon race headers on it, but will wait to see what engine gets put into the 718 Spyder before making that purchase.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:43 AM
NelsonF
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Unless the new 718 Spyder has a 9000 RPM GT3 motor -- I'm sticking to the 981. I really want to put a set of Dundon race headers on it, but will wait to see what engine gets put into the 718 Spyder before making that purchase.[/QUOTE]

I'm in the same boat and first in line for the next Spyder. I'm already feeling pangs of regret just considering the trade of my GT Silver w/classic red int, LWBS, PCCB, smoked rear lens, Bermester, etc car as the satisfaction level is so high. So the next one would really need to bring it in spades but for some reason this seems unlikely in my mind. We will see.

Last edited by NelsonF; 12-10-2017 at 06:48 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:08 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 635 Likes on 345 Posts

[/QUOTE] I'm in the same boat and first in line for the next Spyder. I'm already feeling pangs of regret just considering the trade of my GT Silver w/classic red int, LWBS, PCCB, Bermester car as the satisfaction level is so high. So the next one would really need to bring it in spades but for some reason this seems unlikely in my mind. We will see.[/QUOTE]

I’m keeping my car but not because I think the next one won’t be better. It seems like Porsche often comes through in terms of improving the performance from one model to the next. I don’t need any additional improvements in the performance or most importantly, the emotion department, so I plan to keep the 981.
Old 12-10-2017, 01:35 PM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by NelsonF
I'm in the same boat and first in line for the next Spyder. I'm already feeling pangs of regret just considering the trade of my GT Silver w/classic red int, LWBS, PCCB, Bermester car as the satisfaction level is so high. So the next one would really need to bring it in spades but for some reason this seems unlikely in my mind. We will see.
I'm in the "seems unlikely" group as well. Yes, I think it will be a 4.0L, with a 7k-8k RPM red line. More power/torque, but no GT car scream. I think the odds of a turbo 4 are zilch. The 981 is truly special. It would be difficult to part ways. Assuming I'm correct, I will buy a set of dundon race headers at that point. I want that GT3 scream... this will at least get me closer Would love to test drive a manual GT3, but I think I would probably still keep the Spyder... doubt 9k would be worth the extra ~$80k or so while also being forced to drop mid engine and drop top.

Last edited by guab; 12-10-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 02:56 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The 987 Spyder may not be a good comparison to the 981 Spyder as resale is very dependent on how the car was configured. I’m not seeing the same trend with the 981 since all of them are manuals and there’s plenty of demand for the standard and LWB seats.
With the 987 Spyder I see prices at 60% for the PDK Sport Seats and about 90% of MSRP for the low mileage MT with LWB’s....as long as they aren’t loaded with a bunch of other options. The 987 Spyder seems to be following a less is more trend and the 981 Spyder has demand across the board with PTS selling above MSRP.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:18 PM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Will be curious to see how this turns out, I’ve never been a fan of buying the same car twice. They will always have upgrades in the new model, but if I did there has to be major step function changes and looks are first priority. I think the 981 looks stunning hard to improve. My opinion.
Old 12-10-2017, 03:22 PM
VirgilKane
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
The 987 Spyder seems to be following a less is more trend and the 981 Spyder has demand across the board with PTS selling above MSRP.
I need an acronym breakdown! I think PTS is paint to sample? LWB is lightweight buckets? Any others I'll want to know?
Old 12-10-2017, 04:08 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by NelsonF
I'm already feeling pangs of regret just considering the trade of my GT Silver w/classic red int, LWBS, PCCB, Bermester car as the satisfaction level is so high.
Nelson, if you're in Poway it would be great if you could join us the next time we have a So Cal Spyder drive. It's right in your backyard.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:00 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by terbiumactivated
Tinted taillight photo request please

Went through my pics and pulled out those that detail the tinted lenses. When I was spec'ing my build, the tinted lenses were a question mark for me as I didn't really know what they looked like. I had the good fortune of wondering into a local dealer one day where they had parked side-by-side on the showroom floor a GT Silver GT4 with the standard lenses and a Rhodium 981 Spyder with the tinted lenses. It was my lucky day to have two silver cars side-by-side for comparison purposes to resolve my delimma! I wondered around to the back of the cars and it took me less than 5 seconds to know I wanted the tinted lenses.

Not sure who owns this car below, but I have always LOVED this shot! (photo not mine, but sure wish it was)

Here's a shot of the standard lense, which also looks great:

And here's one of my car and Bob's side-by-side:

Like most things, it's totally a personal choice. If I had to describe the difference between them, I would say the tinted lenses have more of a modern, high-tech look.

If you think you like the tinted and don't have them on your car, Suncoast will be happy to oblige:

https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/SKU981CHLF.html

I don't know the install process (or Suncoast's return policy), but I'm guessing if you ordered them, installed them on your car (or just held them up to the car), and found you didn't like the look, you could probably return them. This is another relatively low-priced Porsche option that has some noticeable visual impact so the ratio of cash-outlay to bang-for-the-buck is favorable IMO.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:05 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you for the great photos, I like both but I agree with the choice you made. I have the OG Spyder, the one people seem to dismiss, not sure they would have them for that anyhow but again I appreciate the photos and knowledge.

Quick Reply: 2016 981 Spyder - HELP - sorry for the repeat posts