Sponsored by:

New little 718 GTS brother for our 911 TTS

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 07:25 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Received 152 Likes on 76 Posts
Default New little 718 GTS brother for our 911 TTS

Having just put our 911 TTS coupe into winter storage after a full driving season of remarkable joy (7,200 miles!), I realized that, although I still have a lot of affection for my C6 Corvette Grand Sport, Porsche has spoiled me rotten. So, we’ve just pre-traded the C6 in, and ordered a new little brother for the TTS:

(The rear wing looks silver due to simulated reflection but it’s actually gloss black. [NOTE: I subsequently decided to scrap the black paint on the wing and go to yellow body color; I also subsequently added the Sport Seats Plus Backrest Shells in Leather; see below]). Birth is expected in February, with delivery hopefully in April, just in time for the next driving season. The build doesn’t lock until around Feb. 1, so we’ve got plenty of time to go crazy over whether or not to make changes. I also understand that allocations are rather limited; my dealer had only two Boxster GTS slots for the first four months of 2018, one for a Jan. build (which was already taken) and one for a Feb. build (mine). If anyone is interested in checking out and commenting on the build, here’s the Porsche Code link [this is the revised build from Nov. 12]:

http://www.porsche-code.com/PJQ4XML1

We’re looking forward to the new arrival! As the saying goes, “And so the waiting begins….”

Last edited by AviBen; 11-12-2017 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:01 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by AviBen
So, we’ve just pre-traded the C6 in, and ordered a new little brother for the TTS:
Congrats on becoming a two-Porsche family. A worthy stablemate, indeed, for the TTS! Definitely a well-equipped car. Hope time flies for you so April comes quickly.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 PM
DBH
Three Wheelin'

Received 430 Likes on 290 Posts

Great build. Really like the wheels!

Keep in mind when making configuration changes, particularly close to the lock date, that they may negatively impact the build date.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:24 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd leave the wing, door handles, and lower mirrors body-colored, but that's just me. I'd check that ACC (adaptive cruise) doesn't lose the center radiator standard on 981 GTSs. I believe with 981s was one or the other, but not both. Since turbo engines run a lot hotter, I'd definitely prefer the extra cooling capacity than ACC, even if it now stops (it didn't stop with 981s, I beleive, cutting off at 30 or so MPH). Many order ACC thinking it stops. You should check on that too if that's your case as well. By the way, the intakes show black on the picture above, but say body-colored on your build, so didn't comment on those... but yes, they look hideous too. Ha ha. Good luck.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:38 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by DBH
Keep in mind when making configuration changes, particularly close to the lock date, that they may negatively impact the build date.
I'd also add from personal experience that sometimes the lock date has a mysterious way of being moved up several weeks in advance with no prior notice or explanation by Porsche so that whatever tentative build you have in the system all of a sudden becomes your final build.

Thus, it's always best to have your build as close to "right" in the system, particularly in the weeks leading up to the lock date.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:38 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by elp_jc
I'd leave the wing, door handles, and lower mirrors body-colored, but that's just me. I'd check that ACC (adaptive cruise) doesn't lose the center radiator standard on 981 GTSs. I believe with 981s was one or the other, but not both. Since turbo engines run a lot hotter, I'd definitely prefer the extra cooling capacity than ACC, even if it now stops (it didn't stop with 981s, I beleive, cutting off at 30 or so MPH). Many order ACC thinking it stops. You should check on that too if that's your case as well. By the way, the intakes show black on the picture above, but say body-colored on your build, so didn't comment on those... but yes, they look hideous too. Ha ha. Good luck.
I respect your taste; just different than mine; I love black on yellow. (The first new car I ever bought was yellow, almost 40 years ago. This is the first yellow since then.) Thanks for the tips; as it happens, I'm aware of this stuff. My 911 TTS has ACC, I'm very familiar with it (it's great, by the way). Re the painting of the intakes: the words on the build say paint it black (Stones, anyone?) but the configurator pic shows only the body-color paint; the pic I posted is from an earlier build; the words in the current build are actually accurate even though the pic isn't.

Getting back to the radiators and front intakes, I know from hard experience that it's a vulnerability of these cars; I bought Zunsport grilles for the TTS after my A/C condenser had to be replaced due to a puncture from a pebble.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:40 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I'd also add from personal experience that sometimes the lock date has a mysterious way of being moved up several weeks in advance with no prior notice or explanation by Porsche so that whatever tentative build you have in the system all of a sudden becomes your final build.

Thus, it's always best to have your build as close to "right" in the system, particularly in the weeks leading up to the lock date.
Very true. I experienced the vagaries of the order system with my TTS.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:28 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm aware of this stuff.
Good to hear. Out of curiosity, does ACC also eliminate the 3rd radiator on 718s? And does ACC stop now, or still cuts off at 30 or so MPH? Thx.
Old 11-09-2017, 09:29 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Awesome looking car. Cool color. RJ
Old 11-09-2017, 09:33 PM
JAhmed
Rennlist Member

Received 1,777 Likes on 756 Posts

Congratulations! Hope the time to delivery flies by!
Old 11-09-2017, 11:12 PM
AviBen
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the good wishes!
Old 11-10-2017, 01:36 AM
Dr.Bill
Race Car

Received 719 Likes on 394 Posts

Well, it looks like the Mu-Fu steering wheel now has the proper paddle shifters, so that is good.

With the 981 GTS models, the PDK versions did indeed have a center radiator. Adding ACC blocked a portion of the center radiator, but it was still present. Not sure on the new turbo one.

Also, the ACC on the 981 would stop the car. You could 'drive' in stop and go traffic without touching the pedals! Kind of creepy, but there you have it. I had a Cayman GTS with ACC that someone ordered. Not my thing, but it did work most of the time. The sensor is fairly expensive to replace and recalibrate if it gets damaged!

The only thing I would strongly suggest is the GTS interior package. It's unique to the car and makes it more special. The standard interior is just too plain. Of course, this build is already well into 911 territory, so I can understand cutting corners. I'd cut them elsewhere.
Old 11-10-2017, 05:24 AM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

<snips>
I love black on yellow.

Getting back to the radiators and front intakes, I know from hard experience that it's a vulnerability of these cars; I bought Zunsport grilles for the TTS after my A/C condenser had to be replaced due to a puncture from a pebble.
My Boxster is the first yellow and black car I've had and I love it. I had a friend say today that he was concerned when I ordered yellow but once he saw it he knew why I chose it.

I too have put protective screening on the air intakes, and some of the black powder coating already has chips from flying stones. I'm glad it's not radiator damage.
Old 11-10-2017, 09:45 AM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, that's some build. Didn't think you could hit 110K without the GTS interior package but had forgotten about Burmeister. I like the yellow/black combo; any reason you didn't do the gauges in yellow?
Old 11-10-2017, 09:55 AM
PorscheAddict
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 75 Posts

Sweet build in a sweet color, congrats!

Quick Reply: New little 718 GTS brother for our 911 TTS