Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can Adaptive Cruise be Retrofit on a 718?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2017, 08:44 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can Adaptive Cruise be Retrofit on a 718?

Looking at used builds and wondering if this can be added if it wasn't originally spec'd. I mean without taking the whole car apart. Any idea on cost?

Thanks!
Old 11-07-2017, 04:37 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

In a word NO. Anything can be done, as you assumed, but would cost a fortune and require taking the car apart. If it's such an important option for you, you'd probably have to order one, unfortunately. It has no reason to be in a sports car IMO, and apparently I'm not the only one, since it's super rare to find it, so next to impossible to find a used car with it. Oh, and in case you didn't know, it's only available with PDK. Oh, and you'd give up the 3rd radiator (if equipped, or desired), like on GTS cars... something I'd never do here in hot TX. Heck, I haven't even used the regular cruise control, and have made several long trips on this car, but to each his own. Good luck man.
Old 11-07-2017, 04:51 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
In a word NO. Anything can be done, as you assumed, but would cost a fortune and require taking the car apart. If it's such an important option for you, you'd probably have to order one, unfortunately. It has no reason to be in a sports car IMO, and apparently I'm not the only one, since it's super rare to find it, so next to impossible to find a used car with it. Oh, and in case you didn't know, it's only available with PDK. Oh, and you'd give up the 3rd radiator (if equipped, or desired), like on GTS cars... something I'd never do here in hot TX. Heck, I haven't even used the regular cruise control, and have made several long trips on this car, but to each his own. Good luck man.
Whoa! Reduces a radiator?! This was far more valuable information than my original question. Not doing this...

Are there other luxury options that make such drastic changes to performance equipment?

Totally respect your point on not needing it... Valid.

Thanks!!
Old 11-07-2017, 05:45 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

The third radiator thing is interesting and makes it less interesting depending on the car, but I'd totally disagree that a sports car doesn't need it. That's the same sort of religious debate you get around an automatic. When I'm driving on fun roads and enjoying my sports car then for sure I'd not use it, but when I'm stuck going across the bridge in stop and go traffic man it's nice to have in the cars we have that have it. Just makes traffic that much less tiring, plus when you're on long cruises to get to the fun twisty roads it's nice to not have to manage the cruise control so closely.

That said we're each entitled to our opinion.
Old 11-07-2017, 07:41 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochemlab
Are there other luxury options that make such drastic changes to performance equipment?
That's the only one, AFAIK; I got most others. I also like my sports cars luxurious as well. Anyway, two things on ACC. First, the 3rd radiator was only standard on GTS cars, so you know. But many folks installed it on their Ss for the extra cooling. And second, if you want to be 100% sure about the 3rd radiator being mutually exclusive with ACC, call a dealer; I've only read about it. Never did the research because it was the last option I'd get. He he. But since the radar's 'eye' is smack in the middle of the center opening, it'd be almost impossible for both to coexist... unless Porsche designed a special split radiator, or something. Check it, and confirm, if you want.

Originally Posted by ramans
but when I'm stuck going across the bridge in stop and go traffic man it's nice to have
Hey, you're assuming it has the capability to stop. I also read it doesn't do that (I think it cuts out at 30 or so MPH), but could be wrong (somebody please confirm that). Remember back in 2013, when the 981 came out, it was very rare to have that feature. Maybe the 718 unit does that now. Finally, the reason for my comment is very few people use an all-out sports car as a DD, but if you do, and feel you need ACC, then that's why it exists, I guess. But if you have to give up the 3rd radiator, like I think is the case, it's a hard option to swallow.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:06 PM
ramans
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

You are correct, I was assuming it would come to a complete standstill. On our 2012 A6 it definitely would come to a complete standstill, and if you tapped the accelerator from that mode it would start it moving again holding distance from the car in front of you. Super nice when stuck in traffic.
Old 02-20-2024, 11:48 AM
cargurufrank
8th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my 2015 Cayenne Turbo it comes to a complete stop.
Old 02-20-2024, 02:53 PM
nineball
Pro

Received 282 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by JCtx
First, the 3rd radiator was only standard on GTS cars, so you know. But many folks installed it on their Ss for the extra cooling.
not so sure i agree with that. "many" is an open-ended term and could mean 100 or 10,000 people. i think the number of people who have added the 3rd radiator would be minuscule compared to the number of 718 base and 718S models sold.

that being said i have a '17 S and added the 3rd rad but only as a search for a possible solution to the heat soak issue that (so far only) happens on track. the radiator did nothing to improve that functionality. it was a complete waste of money for my needs and wants.
Old 02-20-2024, 04:58 PM
TXshaggy
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 3,326 Likes on 1,913 Posts

Looks like we caught a 7 year related necro thread bump…oh well, topic still valid I guess.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:35 PM
348SStb
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 225 Posts

Deleting my comment. Didn’t realize at first that this thread was bumped. The answer in post number two of “no” is the most concise answer to the original poster’s question.

Last edited by 348SStb; 02-20-2024 at 10:38 PM.

Quick Reply: Can Adaptive Cruise be Retrofit on a 718?