Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What happens to new cars that don't sell?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2017, 07:27 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 981.CS
$105k? go get a 981 spyder or GT4.
So, here's the update.

They still wanted $97k. That's $15k off MSRP, but I think it's worth less than that. At least it is to me. So, instead, I put a deposit on a 718 GT4. I was told that I was 6th in line at the dealership and they got 7 of the 2016 GT4s. We'll see how that goes now...
Old 11-17-2017, 01:50 PM
konaforever
Burning Brakes

Received 173 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Biochemlab
So, here's the update.

They still wanted $97k. That's $15k off MSRP, but I think it's worth less than that. At least it is to me. So, instead, I put a deposit on a 718 GT4. I was told that I was 6th in line at the dealership and they got 7 of the 2016 GT4s. We'll see how that goes now...
Good decision with the GT4! No discounts though when it comes time to buy it.
Old 11-17-2017, 05:55 PM
ForceReconTrojan
Burning Brakes

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

So, here's the update.

2 different cars, I mean totally different.
Old 11-17-2017, 06:59 PM
Skyhawk172
Burning Brakes

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

So, here's the update.

Oh man I was hoping you where going to break them, I have the same dilemma going with a BMW dealer for a used Porsche. It has been on their lot for a month and they have discounted it quite a bit but it is not my desired color scheme, but for the right price i would take it we are close but seem to be at an impasse. I think that the car has to many miles for a lot of people and the color scheme is a hard sell also. Black on Black and i would have jumped on it.

Old 11-17-2017, 09:34 PM
FlamsteadHill
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
Oh man I was hoping you where going to break them, I have the same dilemma going with a BMW dealer for a used Porsche. It has been on their lot for a month and they have discounted it quite a bit but it is not my desired color scheme, but for the right price i would take it we are close but seem to be at an impasse. I think that the car has to many miles for a lot of people and the color scheme is a hard sell also. Black on Black and i would have jumped on it.
The over-retailization of America seems to be having a trickle-down effect.

There was never any real money to by made in the new car market. It's not like the Michael's craft business where their COGS is 15-25%. Automobiles start out with relatively reasonable MSRPs based on cost and perceived values. Occasionally some slight miscalculations occur, either in perceived value or demand, and there ends up being a surplus. But it's not on the order of the 50-70% off of the Big Box Stores.

I get that no one wants to over-pay, but realize that dealers are in business for one reason and one reason only (same as any other "real business") and that is to return a profit to the shareholders. Just to bring it into focus, with no profits to shareholders, there is no company (this includes Dealers and Manufacturers). So if you want Porsche to disappear, just make sure everyone pays less than cost. Oh, and hold onto every Porsche you can get your hands on. Either for pleasure or profit.
Old 11-18-2017, 09:34 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
I know... And the truth is that I'm not sure the GT4 is really for me... I figured I have time to burn and getting a GT4 allocation I can back out of doesn't hurt while the clock ticks.

Originally Posted by Skyhawk172
I hope you get the deal you're hoping for. I'm not done here with this process. I still think I'd rather have a sharp discount on this S than pay full price for the GT4.

I'll update with any additional progress.
Old 11-18-2017, 11:52 AM
Pilota
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Smile Agree with just go for it if you love it

Been there recently recently
mynwife f lol in love with the Miami Blue color and all I did was hold on
found this launch edition car
over speced and out of my price

over a few months working with a nice but motivated dealership and a wife I love a deal was struck
marital bliss ensured and the car is awesome
do I miss the V10R8;Spyder hell yes but it was the right thing to do, everyone is corrected about the car not being a real investment except for happiness
Old 11-18-2017, 02:13 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Originally Posted by Pilota

Damn that's a gorgeous car, congrats man!
Old 11-18-2017, 02:17 PM
ajw45
Three Wheelin'

Received 318 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ForceReconTrojan
+1 I thought the GT4 was totally fine on the street until the dealer have me a 718 for the day. 718 is a way better street car, kinda surprised actually how big the difference was driving them back to back...
Old 11-18-2017, 02:19 PM
Seanlabonte
Platinum Dealer
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Hi Everyone,

Thanks to some of the folks here on the forums, I've decided not to eat the cost of ordering something new. A little disappointing, but I think I'll agree in the long run.

So, I'm currently hunting well-optioned, used 718 S. I'm being very picky. With that said, I found a couple of examples that are close, but not exactly right - and are new.

I've found two cars that are new... but aren't selling. One of the cars has been on the lot for 118 days and the other 182. They're both 2017 MYs while we know the 2018s are already on lots, too. This seems like a terrible situation for the dealer and a good opportunity for the right buyer.

I've contacted both. The one at 118 days is still offering the car at full MSRP (?!) and the 182 day car is going for $105k (down from $112 MSRP).

So, what happens as these sit here longer? What's the best way to get the dealer to drop the price drastically? What other advice would you have for this situation?

Thanks!
Make a good offer - all dealers are willing to work with end of year specials - LIKE ME! lol
Old 11-18-2017, 07:25 PM
Drawpt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
$112K..for a 718? uh..no. I'd get a 911 T or a CPO 911 GTS for that price

Exactly, get a 991 GTS with less than 10k mls for that price.

Check out the 991 Hot for Sale thread.
https://rennlist.com/forums/991/8636...1-1-a-915.html

I'm a Cayman fan but at a price. 991 GTS is the gem of the NA cars, preserve some capital and the big dogs think it's a better ride. Either that or a GT4.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:01 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Well, I have been sitting on my GT4 deposit until today. The dealer informed me that I would need to pay OVER MSRP when it comes time to order the car. I told them I was not willing to accept that, so they sent me a receipt for the refund of my deposit and told me to contact them if I change my mind.

There are still two of the $112k 2017 718CS's still sitting on lots... but, I've pretty much decided I want to take euro delivery and stay in Germany for a few months... and I can't do that with one of these. So, I'm a little torn. I feel like I have 3 choices. 1) Try to get a good deal on the 2017's that are here in the US and save $20k; 2) Get a new GTS delivered in Europe (maybe the better street car for me, lower cost that GT4), or 3) start calling around to other dealerships for a GT4 deposit at MSRP for Euro delivery (and have a better sports car with a likely better resale value than GTS, if that ever matters).

Ah well, back to the drawing board.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:22 AM
Automobilist
Advanced

Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

Please buy the Cayman S. I'll be wanting to buy one in a few years for about $18k.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:18 AM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Well, I have been sitting on my GT4 deposit until today. The dealer informed me that I would need to pay OVER MSRP when it comes time to order the car. I told them I was not willing to accept that, so they sent me a receipt for the refund of my deposit and told me to contact them if I change my mind.

There are still two of the $112k 2017 718CS's still sitting on lots... but, I've pretty much decided I want to take euro delivery and stay in Germany for a few months... and I can't do that with one of these. So, I'm a little torn. I feel like I have 3 choices. 1) Try to get a good deal on the 2017's that are here in the US and save $20k; 2) Get a new GTS delivered in Europe (maybe the better street car for me, lower cost that GT4), or 3) start calling around to other dealerships for a GT4 deposit at MSRP for Euro delivery (and have a better sports car with a likely better resale value than GTS, if that ever matters).

Ah well, back to the drawing board.
Just like I have no problem asking for 20% off of MSRP on slow moving models, I have no problem with the dealer asking for more than MSRP on models in demand. Did the dealer say how much over MSRP they will require? When the GT4 was first introduced, I saw used GT4s with about 1K miles with asking prices that were $15K over MSRP.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:53 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Originally Posted by fast1
Just like I have no problem asking for 20% off of MSRP on slow moving models, I have no problem with the dealer asking for more than MSRP on models in demand. Did the dealer say how much over MSRP they will require? When the GT4 was first introduced, I saw used GT4s with about 1K miles with asking prices that were $15K over MSRP.
No, they wouldn't make any guarantees on how much they would mark it up. They expected me to wait in line until they decide how much they were going to charge me over MSRP. That just seems like a recipe for disappointment or feeling ripped off.
I don't have any interest in paying more than MSRP for a car. It's just a car. Knowing that I had to pay an extra $15,000 for a car would detract from my ability to enjoy the car. I hear what you're saying about how markets work and totally get it... But I'm not interested in playing that game.

There are lots of posts on the internet about people buying the last GT4 MSRP brand new. So, I'm definitely not going to wait in line for the privilege to overpay.

Quick Reply: What happens to new cars that don't sell?