Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to rename 'PCM' to something else for bluetooth connections? Thx

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2017, 04:51 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Is there a way to rename 'PCM' to something else for bluetooth connections? Thx

Hope the title was clear. With 2 Porsches on my iPhone 6S+ (my brother's and mine), it's annoying to have 2 'PCM's without knowing which car is which. All my other cars have the option to change the bluetooth name, but not on 981s. Read the entire manual and nothing; only says how to rename bluetooth devices on the PCM, but not how to rename the damn PCM. And it cannot be renamed on my iPhone either; only removed. I renamed my iPhone before pairing it, so I didn't have to rename it in the PCM. Hope there's a way to change 'PCM' to 'Cayman' and 'Boxster', so I know which is which. Not a big deal, but it bugged me tonight, for some reason. Ha ha. Thanks gang.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:21 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not on an iphone

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Hope the title was clear. With 2 Porsches on my iPhone 6S+ (my brother's and mine), it's annoying to have 2 'PCM's without knowing which car is which. All my other cars have the option to change the bluetooth name, but not on 981s. Read the entire manual and nothing; only says how to rename bluetooth devices on the PCM, but not how to rename the damn PCM. And it cannot be renamed on my iPhone either; only removed. I renamed my iPhone before pairing it, so I didn't have to rename it in the PCM. Hope there's a way to change 'PCM' to 'Cayman' and 'Boxster', so I know which is which. Not a big deal, but it bugged me tonight, for some reason. Ha ha. Thanks gang.
Un

You can do this in Android but not iOS unless you jailbreak it.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:02 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Biochemlab
You can do this in Android but not iOS unless you jailbreak it.
Don't know what 'jailbreak' means, but my question was if the name 'PCM' can be changed on the PCM, so I don't have to do anything to my phone. And yes, on Androids you can easily rename BT devices, but not on stupid iPhones, even on the latest iOS upgrade. Really stupid. As mentioned before, I can change the 'PCM' name in my other cars, so maybe I'm missing something on the Porsche. Hope it's not as stupid as iPhones, or I'll be stuck. Ha ha. Thx.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:52 PM
billwot
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My Cayman is bluetooth-enabled for the phone, but no other functions, like music and map apps. I have a bluetooth/aux port receiver (Himbox HB01) for both my Cayman, and my Tacoma. My iphone shows "HB01" on 2 separate lines on the bluetooth page. But I know that the first listing is the Tacoma, and the 2nd listing is the Cayman. So no problem.
Old 11-02-2017, 11:40 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Don't know what 'jailbreak' means, but my question was if the name 'PCM' can be changed on the PCM, so I don't have to do anything to my phone. And yes, on Androids you can easily rename BT devices, but not on stupid iPhones, even on the latest iOS upgrade. Really stupid. As mentioned before, I can change the 'PCM' name in my other cars, so maybe I'm missing something on the Porsche. Hope it's not as stupid as iPhones, or I'll be stuck. Ha ha. Thx.
Sorry I don't know about changing the name on the car/pcm side.

Jailbreaking an iPhone allows you to change settings that Apple thinks the average user is too stupid to control.

https://www.ampercent.com/how-to-rename-bluetooth-device-in-ios-89/17423/

So frustrating that Porsche has steered away from Android.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:25 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

That link says it works for iOS 8 and 9, and we're on 11 already. At any rate, they don't explain what 'jailbreak' means, but sounds dangerous. Ha ha. Would like to know exactly what it entails, before even considering. Will google it later. I paid cash for my phones, so should be able to do it, although the Apple people told me they couldn't 'unlock' my phone until 3 months after purchase. Don't understand why, but it's been over that. Would have to call them to send the codes, but am sure they require iTunes, which I don't want to install, so might be another roadblock. Guess will leave it alone then. But thanks anyway.
Old 11-04-2017, 04:38 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

That link says it works for iOS 8 and 9, and we're on 11 already. At any rate, they don't explain what 'jailbreak' means, but sounds dangerous. Ha ha. Would like to know exactly what it entails, before even considering. Will google it later. I paid cash for my phones, so should be able to do it, although the Apple people told me they couldn't 'unlock' my phone until 3 months after purchase. Don't understand why, but it's been over that. Would have to call them to send the codes, but am sure they require iTunes, which I don't want to install, so might be another roadblock. Guess will leave it alone then. But thanks anyway.
LOL, sorry I had no idea what version of IOS everyone is using.

Jailbreak is the way you break Apple's security so that you can do things Apple never intended you to do - like rename a Bluetooth device. They definitely won't help you do it. And if I understand correctly, you can mess up your phone doing.

Sorry I can't help more, I'm an Android user and don't know the deep ins and outs of iOS

Quick Reply: Is there a way to rename 'PCM' to something else for bluetooth connections? Thx