Notices
Spyder/Cayman R Discussions about the 987 Spyder/Cayman R (2011-2012)

Back into the Spyder's web...

Old 10-28-2017, 10:32 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Klepper
Beautiful car!!
Thanks buddy!

Originally Posted by Delmartian
Congrats!!
Tku!

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Wow! Great spec! Love it... Congrats, she looks awesome.
Thanks man. It'such a fantastic colour combination. BAMM!

Originally Posted by Marine Blue
That is proper spec for a Spyder!

Add a lightweight battery and the car will shed another 20 lbs and she’ll be perfect!
Great idea. And with some personal weight loss it should really fly!

Originally Posted by HoBoJoe
Love the color combo!
Crazy good!

Originally Posted by SCMike
Brilliant car and specs! (But mine has the......clutch pedal delete.....tah-dah).
Ha! I wonder if they'll bring the PDK option to the next Spyder?

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Very nice love it.
Tku

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Cool spec!

Cupholder delete = unicorn

Wondering if there is an actual option code listed for cup holder delete and, if so, what it is?

AC delete on the 987 results in a weight savings of 35 lbs. as I recall. You may want to add your car to the 987 Spyder AC delete thread:

https://rennlist.com/forums/987-981-...-c-delete.html

Again, many congrats!
Thanks Nick. I think they all came with AC and Cup Holder delete and you had to option them back in...

Seems likes theirs a few CH Deletes on the spread sheet...

Originally Posted by Knight
Nice one Joel! Weather still looking very impressive for the next week.

I seriously need to take one for a run, I hear so many great things about the Spyder.

Congrats!
Baron - the keys are yours man. You have to experience this car. It is the perfect companion to the 993...

Ask Joel to toss you the keys to his.

Having had the fortune to drive a few different air cooled cars and water cooled cars I will say the 987 Spyder is a revelation. It brings with it the same level of chassis/steering communication offered by the older cars but with much more detail. Power delivery is silky smooth and plentiful and the controls are delicate yet firm and extremely precise. It’s truly an extraordinary automobile.

Let us know what you think after you have had a chance to take it on some twisties. Make sure Joel gives you a decent amount of seat time.
Great summary Afshin. Excellent. If there weather keeps clear as you say Baron we'll have to meet up.

Originally Posted by jeanrabelais
Super lucky guy! Beautiful ride.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by sh944
I never knew the cup holder delete was so rare. Mine has the delete, and I sort of assumed most of them also did.

Congrats to OP for getting another one! Enjoy!
The CHD club...

Originally Posted by pcar-yvr
What a stunning Spyder Joel. Sincere congrats on finding that Unicorn!

Second fastest color combo you can get. Look forward to seeing it in my rear view mirror! LOL
You are going to have to ditch your cub holders buddy if you are going to keep up with me. It's a noticeable difference...

Thanks for all the great congrats guys. It's great to back in this car again. Best bang for your buck I would say in the Porsche line up. Still "undiscovered" by the masses and yet the MT / LWBS / CHD seem to go fast.

Last edited by Zeus993; 10-29-2017 at 01:59 AM.
Old 10-28-2017, 12:17 PM
w00tPORSCHE
Drifting

Received 131 Likes on 60 Posts

Thats a great find indeed. I cant wait to check it out in person. Glad to have you back in the spyder club which is where u belong
Old 10-28-2017, 02:44 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Thanks Nick. I think they all came with AC and Cup Holder delete and you had to option them back in...
Got it. Didn't know that. Thanks!
Old 10-28-2017, 11:41 PM
Vancouver-BC
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Joel,

Beautiful car. Congratulations!
Old 10-29-2017, 05:44 PM
topwater
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Spyder web is hard to get out of, for sure. I’m hoping for a 2018 Spyder if the specs look right, it’s been an amazing car. Signed, seriously jealous!
Old 10-30-2017, 10:45 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by w00tPORSCHE
Thats a great find indeed. I cant wait to check it out in person. Glad to have you back in the spyder club which is where u belong
Thanks Amar - I was out in it last night with my ton, top down, just ripping around the city. The car has some serious snot! Glad to be back in.

Rennsport 2018 Spyder meet?

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
Got it. Didn't know that. Thanks!
Crazy heh?

Originally Posted by Vancouver-BC
Joel,

Beautiful car. Congratulations!
Tku!

Originally Posted by topwater
The Spyder web is hard to get out of, for sure. I’m hoping for a 2018 Spyder if the specs look right, it’s been an amazing car. Signed, seriously jealous!
Let's hope it's as good as the first two gen's! In the meantime there's a guy here selling a super low mileage white one. Pick it up?
Old 10-30-2017, 10:49 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Default Further weight savings... rear view mirror?

I just noticed last night that in addition to the AC and Cup Holder delete... there is a small super light-weight dinky rear view mirror!

I can't recall exactly what my first Spyder's rear view mirror was but I think it was the larger auto-dim version.

Anyone else have this?

I sweat this one's faster than my last.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:09 AM
DaveGee
Rennlist Member

Received 458 Likes on 255 Posts

I also have the dinky, manual rear view mirror. Surely it’s a weight-savings thing...

BTW, my Spyder is an exterior clone to yours. Congrats on your purchase.

DaveGee

2011 Spyder
Arctic Silver / Black w/pepita
Old 11-01-2017, 11:14 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by DaveGee
I also have the dinky, manual rear view mirror. Surely it’s a weight-savings thing...

BTW, my Spyder is an exterior clone to yours. Congrats on your purchase.

DaveGee

2011 Spyder
Arctic Silver / Black w/pepita
Thanks Dave. Super happy to be back. We have a few remaining days left in the year to enjoy this car and I'm having a blast.

I think the dinky rear view mirror was standard vs the "Automatically dimming mirrors and rain sensor" package option (Option P12). Also, I notice this car, Vs. my last, has the standard lights vs the Bi-xenon headlights with dynamic cornering lights & headlight washer option (Option P74). So they aren't as good and yellower.

Anyone retro-fit some Phillips HID lights into their Spyder?
Old 11-01-2017, 09:13 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

Thanks Dave. Super happy to be back. We have a few remaining days left in the year to enjoy this car and I'm having a blast.

I think the dinky rear view mirror was standard vs the "Automatically dimming mirrors and rain sensor" package option (Option P12). Also, I notice this car, Vs. my last, has the standard lights vs the Bi-xenon headlights with dynamic cornering lights & headlight washer option (Option P74). So they aren't as good and yellower.

Anyone retro-fit some Phillips HID lights into their Spyder?
I also have the standard mirror and yes it is tiny but to be fair there’s not much you need to pay attention to behind you anyways.

The standard lights are more yellow but they also weigh considerably less. When you start adding up all the little differences it has a big impact and it’s very possible your new Spyder is indeed faster and better handling than your last one. I definitely noticed a difference in how the car handles after going to a lighter battery and lighter tires. The suspension feels different, it doesn’t compress as much going over bumps and floats over them.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:56 AM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Default Phillips Xenon / HID kit...

I also have the standard mirror and yes it is tiny but to be fair there’s not much you need to pay attention to behind you anyways.

The standard lights are more yellow but they also weigh considerably less. When you start adding up all the little differences it has a big impact and it’s very possible your new Spyder is indeed faster and better handling than your last one. I definitely noticed a difference in how the car handles after going to a lighter battery and lighter tires. The suspension feels different, it doesn’t compress as much going over bumps and floats over them.
The sum of the parts. Yep. What did you put on for tires? I have the new PS4s on and they are fantastic. Not sure of the weights.

For the lights, I believe Phillips makes a direct swappable bulb so no significant increase in weight I would think. Check these out.

http://www.philipsxenon.com/porsche-...id-p-1260.html
Old 11-02-2017, 04:11 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The sum of the parts. Yep. What did you put on for tires? I have the new PS4s on and they are fantastic. Not sure of the weights.

For the lights, I believe Phillips makes a direct swappable bulb so no significant increase in weight I would think. Check these out.

http://www.philipsxenon.com/porsche-...id-p-1260.html
I installed PS2’s which weigh considerably less than the Bridgestone. Initially they weren’t as stiff but after a few heat cycles they have stiffened up nicely and work really well with the Spyder. I’m hoping the new PS4 feel the same with more stick!

As far as the lights I was primarily comparing the Porsche xenon vs standard headlights as far as weight savings. I agree that changing a bulb has zero affect on weight. I don’t drive much in the dark so I haven’t really needed to improve upon what I have now.
Old 11-02-2017, 06:42 PM
SoCal RJ
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Way to go. Nice looking car and I love the red.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Back into the Spyder's web...