Sponsored by:

718 Spyder- Must have options from Porsche enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 04:45 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts
Default 718 Spyder- Must have options from Porsche enthusiasts

A while back I was hunting for a 981 Spyder but I give up looking for the right car with the right options/color scheme. Also, I am not willing to pay over MSRP for any used car in recent production.
So, I called my local dealer and put my name on the list for 718 Spyder. Beside 18 ways sport seats and classic spyder interior (my mustvhave options), what would a true Porsche enthusiast recommend when you spec the car.
I know it is too early to talk about 718 Spyder but the GTS is here and I suspect the Spyder is on the way soon. TIA rennlisters.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:40 PM
Keadog
Rennlist Member

Received 1,016 Likes on 611 Posts

Some will tell you it must have LWBs, but I would want 18 ways as well. I didn't buy a 981 Spyder when I could because it lacked a power top and it looks like that won't change.

I doubt I would consider one if it has the turbo 4 even if I was willing to live with the manual top.

If I were buying one, I would want a MT, reversing camera, LCA (if available), heat/vent seats, Alcantara delete and full leather. Probably BOSE even though I imagine it'll be pretty loud if they insist on saving the 22 pounds or so again.

But I'm probably not a true enthusiast anyhow. I just really liked both of my 981s. My wife likes the Targa better because she found the Boxsters felt a bit cramped, but I wouldn't hesitate to get another 981 if the stars aligned and I could afford to "add" a 981 S or GTS. Still probably the best fun/$ in the lineup IMO.
Old 10-20-2017, 06:11 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

I never got the "won't pay over MSRP for an in current production car" This car isn't in current production.

I understand principle but there are less than 800 of these in NA, probably less in the combo you want, and they are sought after cars. Your principles would prevent you from buying the car you want and you would actually put a $ amount on that? I struggled with it too before I finally said **** it and got my Spyder. It was the best decision I made.

Now you get to spec in a 718 which is probably going to be in a price bracket much higher than the 981 and you'll never really have experience in the older car. If the new car is turbo I'd feel really bad for you (unless you're into that).

Would you pay over MSRP if the new car is turbo for the 981 you want then? Or would you still stand in your own way? Just thinking out loud here to myself.

I should have spec'd mine out myself and bought new - that's the only regret I'll ever have.

To answer the original question:
Buckets, Classic, leather steering wheel are my must haves along with a manual gearbox.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:05 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

MT, 6NA, MSRP, and Euro Delivery are my must haves.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:05 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Well if they package it like the 981 Spyder, there might not be many must have options. The only choices that really needed to be made were seats ( with you on the 18 way), brakes (steel vs ceramic), sound system/AC delete options and cosmetic (paint, interior color , base interior, etc); everything else was included.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:26 PM
pitt911
Rennlist Member

Received 927 Likes on 533 Posts

also with 981 , there was one choice of transmission: MT
probably will be same for 718 Spyder
PCCB if money is not an issue . Brake dust can be pain to clean all the time,
extended fuel tank
Old 10-20-2017, 08:37 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

Thank you everyone, all of your opinions are valid. Living on a small island with no race track in sight, creature of comforts are my top priorities. MT, sofa seats, AC, radio (yes I know), PCCB if I have extra cash PTS, leather steering and rear camera. I only hope it will be NA because I already one of the best Turbo engine call Mezger. We will see in a year or so. Once again, thank you and keep the comments coming.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:10 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Small island, no track? Save your money on the PCCB, the stock stoppers are plenty especially for the conditions you describe. Sure you save un-sprung weight with PCCB but you can replace the metal rotors four times and not be at the cost of a one time PCCB replacement.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:27 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Just got my 981 Spyder this week and loving it. Few new pics of it below.

Mine has buckets, my first P car with them (had GT3 and GT4 both with sofas) and am loving them so far even for long drives. Also previously owned a 981 Boxster S and a 987 Cayman bass.

Mine also has Burmester audio, which sounds friggin’ amazing, even with top down cruising at 70 mph. Highly recommended, even though you might not use it when concentrating on entertaining roads. But hey, you gotta listen to something for the hour or more it may take you to drive to the place with the twisty roads, right?

To the other posters, all Spyders, 981 and almost certainly 718 too, are manuals. It won’t be possible to get ventilated seats either. And all cars sold in US now have backup camera.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:56 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,605 Likes on 884 Posts

IMHO, my 981 Spyder is perfect for me:
http://admin.porschedealer.com/repor...CC2A85GS152617
Zero regrets on any of my options.
If I can’t get the same or better, I will pass on the 982 Spyder.
Honestly feel I will be disappointed as my 981 will be hard to replace.
Old 10-21-2017, 06:02 AM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,605 Likes on 884 Posts

Old 10-21-2017, 12:00 PM
rloggie
Racer

Lapis ~ Terrific photos!

Although I understand the weight issue, I'd like to see the option for memory seats for the 18 ways. Getting in and out in a cramped garage or even an outside location would be much easier if the seat automatically went back and the steering wheel raised when one opened the door. Along with the seat setting not having to be adjusted each time one got it. I drive with the steering wheel about as low as it will go so it also must be released to exit.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:40 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

I think it’s important to point out that the whole point of the Spyder (originally) was to shed weight and provide a driver focused car. If creature comforts are a priority such as memory seats, power top, heated/ventilated seats etc then why not get a GTS?

My options would include a short shift (if they offer it), LSD if it’s not included, LWB’s, PCCB’s, basic HVAC and a basic stereo with minimal extra’s. The only luxury item I would add is full leather which I’ve heard actually weighs less than the rubber equivalent.

A lightweight battery would be nice too if the prices weren’t completely over the top.
Old 10-21-2017, 03:38 PM
JPMD
Rennlist Member

Received 138 Likes on 66 Posts

^^^^^^^^^^^
This exactly
I've been following Afshin's posts regarding Spyder for a long time. He IMO is one of the best resources on this car.
Old 10-21-2017, 04:29 PM
rloggie
Racer

The Spyder is not a track car and Porsche offers many non weight conscience options for it. To personalize it with any of the (offered) options is simply a matter of choice. If one wants to have the definitive lightweight, go for it. No air, no radio, small gas tank, buckets, pccb’s etc. Anything more is a compromise. And I respect that choice but...

For me I want 375hp NA 6, the styling, some comfort and not the GT(s) car. If Porsche didn’t like this idea it wouldn’t sell it this way.
Frankly I doubt I lose much performance by having a Burmester or two zone air.

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder- Must have options from Porsche enthusiasts