Sponsored by:

718 Spyder- Must have options from Porsche enthusiasts

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 04:39 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,613 Likes on 888 Posts

Originally Posted by rloggie
The Spyder is not a track car and Porsche offers many non weight conscience options for it. To personalize it with any of the (offered) options is simply a matter of choice. If one wants to have the definitive lightweight, go for it. No air, no radio, small gas tank, buckets, pccb’s etc. Anything more is a compromise. And I respect that choice but...

For me I want 375hp NA 6, the styling, some comfort and not the GT(s) car. If Porsche didn’t like this idea it wouldn’t sell it this way.
Frankly I doubt I lose much performance by having a Burmester or two zone air.
Exactly... I have owned a couple ultimate lightweight optioned 987.2 Spyders... First one had radio/AC delete and only optioned with full leather. Had another optioned only with radio. Knowing first hand, AC delete isn’t worth it to me. Resale along is very difficult pill to swallow. Originally thought PCCB’s were overhyped, but after having them on my 981, I will never go back to steels. Beauty of Porsche is they allow you to select just what you want... for a cost though! I’m just happy they give you a choice. Other marques are pretty limited.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:18 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by rloggie
The Spyder is not a track car and Porsche offers many non weight conscience options for it. To personalize it with any of the (offered) options is simply a matter of choice. If one wants to have the definitive lightweight, go for it. No air, no radio, small gas tank, buckets, pccb’s etc. Anything more is a compromise. And I respect that choice but...

For me I want 375hp NA 6, the styling, some comfort and not the GT(s) car. If Porsche didn’t like this idea it wouldn’t sell it this way.
Frankly I doubt I lose much performance by having a Burmester or two zone air.
Agree, and well stated ....personally I think the light weight thing is over blown when you start removing radios, AC unless you really don’t want it vs weight. Not sure how many Spyders actually hit the track vs being good old garage queens. (Well mine is a queen, and for weekend drives with the wife top never goes up)

Many guys that ordered a RS minus AC and radio ......having a hard time selling due to the low spec. Saving 20lbs is easy back away from the table and enjoy some car luxuries.
Old 10-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Maverick787
Nordschleife Master

Received 2,082 Likes on 1,006 Posts

Originally Posted by 63A 981510
Love your spec man .....One if the best I’ve seen!
Old 11-01-2017, 11:27 AM
mrneddles
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I too have put down a deposit for the 718 Spyder. My two must haves are the nicest interior leather package and a backup camera.

Standard non metallic exterior will be just fine, probably red or white.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:23 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Rear camera is a must in this car!
If you have an iPhone I would get it with carplay and Bose, no matter how much we like the engine sound we will want to listen to music at some point.
Take your time and think of the color. My only regret is not getting the trim around the radio, the loops behind the seats and intake covers painted in the same car color.
I wouldn't get dual climate control, the interior is too small I don't think it would matter.
Old 11-01-2017, 12:32 PM
981spyder
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Maverick787
Love your spec man .....One if the best I’ve seen!
Your car is perfect!
Old 11-01-2017, 01:20 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

.............Originally thought PCCB’s were overhyped, but after having them on my 981, I will never go back to steels. ...........
Aside from saving unsprung weight and no brake dust, what other benefits over standard setup? The pedal feel seems actually better, from what I read. As others have pointed out, replacement cost of the rotors is much higher. In the past, they used to have a problem of rotors cracking (albeit mostly in track conditions). In street driving, can one actually feel the suspension response from reduced unsprung weight?

As for 982 Spyder, besides retaining NA, there are indications that it will have PDK. My wish list:
- Retain everything from 981.
- 'Model Delete' option should get rid of "all" model designations from the exterior, including the silly 'PORSCHE' script in the back and the 'Spyder' scripts on the sides.
- Be able to open the rear trunk with the top closed.
- Make the top completely manual, removing the electric latch.
- Shorter gear ratios, at least in first 3.
- Reclining bucket seats, as opposed to fixed back.
- More color options.
- No weight-creep. If possible, cut it down.
- Maintain auto rev-match only in Sport Plus mode, as it is now. To me, this is an absolute deal breaker!

981 Spyder is just about perfect. With subtle tweaks, it has the potential to be the ultimate street car Porsche has ever made!
Old 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

Another:
- Steering setup from GT3, as it seems to offer the best of the current electric setups. Still not as good as hydraulic. GT4 got it; so should Spyder.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:37 PM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

Assuming that interior and exterior color are purely subjective and that you are sold on the 18way seats, the only things that are really to debate are brakes, interior trim and radio. I've owned 2 981 Spyders now, one with 18ways the other with LWBs, and one with carbon fiber interior and one with black brushed aluminum interior, both with iron rotors. Loved both cars, but I think I prefer the black aluminum trim and I know I prefer the LWBs. The only thing that I would spec differently than my current car would be PCCB brakes. Have them on my C2S and I would never buy another Porsche without them. I'd also spec the Bose, at a minimum. Also, I much prefer the leather wheel and shift **** to alcantara, but that's a personal thing.

Oh yeah, any my current Spyder also has the backup camera, which is nice, but given the new law, that will be standard in the 718 Spyder.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:11 PM
gotgolf52
Burning Brakes

Received 58 Likes on 36 Posts

I am first on the list, my must have options are:
18 ways
PCCB
Backup camera
Leather interior
Spyder interior
Old 11-01-2017, 08:22 PM
John Ferguson
Instructor

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

PDK, 18 ways, PCCB, Spyder interior, PTS voodoo blue if possible.
Old 11-01-2017, 09:10 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by gotgolf52
I am first on the list, my must have options are . . .

Spyder interior
It will be interesting to see if the Spyder Classic Interior Package, as we know it, is offered on the 982. It wasn't on the 987 and for all we know it may be an interior option unique to the 981. Porsche may instead come up with another interior package using different colors and materials and offering it under a different name.

Whatever happens, I suspect the charge for any 982 special interior will far exceed the $2,580 charged for the Spyder Classic Interior Package, which I thought was a screaming deal when you look at what individual Porsche interior options go for these days. When you then also factor in that Porsche used its top-of-the-line Natural grade leather in the Spyder Classic interior -- which is always more expensive than Porsche's standard leather offerings -- well, that just made the package even more appealing (and even more of a bargain).
Old 11-01-2017, 10:11 PM
n4v4nod
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,613 Likes on 888 Posts

The 987.2 was actually offered in the full leather package in Natural Leather which was similar if not better than the Classic Spyder Package. It was available in Sand Beige, Brown and Red Leather. 981 was paired down to Red and only available with GT silver trim, where the 987.2 you still got the exterior paint trim. Both had the black Alcantara accents. I would assume we will get a similar package with the 982 Spyder.
Old 11-01-2017, 11:19 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The 987.2 was actually offered in the full leather package in Natural Leather which was similar if not better than the Classic Spyder Package. It was available in Sand Beige, Brown and Red Leather. 981 was paired down to Red and only available with GT silver trim, where the 987.2 you still got the exterior paint trim. Both had the black Alcantara accents. I would assume we will get a similar package with the 982 Spyder.
Donovan do you recall if the black full leather was a different grade than the standard black on the 987.2?
Old 11-02-2017, 08:05 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

The 987.2 was actually offered in the full leather package in Natural Leather which was similar if not better than the Classic Spyder Package. It was available in Sand Beige, Brown and Red Leather. 981 was paired down to Red . . .
The only specific reference to a natural leather offering in the 987 Spyder brochure is for Carrera Red. Cocoa is designated a "special color," but not a natural leather, and Sand Beige is listed simply as a standard color with no mention of it being a natural leather.

Similarly, this page from Porsche's press release for the 987 Spyder also just references Carrera Red as the sole natural leather offering:

It could well be that Sand Beige and Cocoa were natural leather offerings in the 987 and the above sources simply failed to mention that. Worth double-checking perhaps. I've never owned a 987 Spyder and hardly hold myself out as an expert on the interior options offered on that car. Heck, I didn't even know until a couple of days ago that these cars came standard with cupholder delete!

As far as the natural leather option in the 987 being "similar if not greater than" the Spyder Classic Interior Package offered in the 981, that's perhaps a debate for another day, but I would argue that the natural leather option in the 987 was simply a leather upgrade, whereas the Spyder Classic Interior Package was an all-inclusive, unique, two-tone interior combination package featuring a mixture of colors, fabrics and materials. The fact that Porsche took a page or two out of the 981 Spyder brochure to specifically highlight the Spyder Classic Interior Package indicates that Porsche intended it as something a little unique and, perhaps, "bespoke."

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder- Must have options from Porsche enthusiasts