Notices
987 Forum Discussion about the Cayman/Boxster variants (2004-2012)
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Checking oil level

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2017, 03:26 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Checking oil level

My Porsche "Good to Know" phone app says "The oil level can be checked after waiting for approx. 1 minute with the vehicle parked on a level surface and the engine at operating temperature." I does not say if the engine can be running or shut off. The oil level seems to read the same either way. My old school way with aircooled was engine at idle, warm and level.
My service guys do it with engine off. What do you do?
Would rather have a dipstick vice electronic measuring.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:03 PM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do it engine running, normally I would agree with you on the stick but the path on the 986 was so torturous that getting a good reading was tough; probably why it's electronic now.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:15 PM
Karl02832
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Depends on what year your car is.
On my 2011, you can only ask the car for a measurement if the car is warm up, and idling.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Boxsterman
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I check the oil with the engine running after it has warmed up. I do this after every other fill-up.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:14 PM
BlueNorther
Pro

Received 153 Likes on 92 Posts

987.1 engine cold, before starting
987.2 engine warm, idling
981 engine warm, 1 minute after turning off
Old 10-20-2017, 08:29 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Received 40 Likes on 20 Posts

981 clearly says engine has to be off, and exactly 1 minute after shut-off is better, for consistency... as well as same flat surface (garage, etc), and same oil temperature. That way, everything will always be consistent. Noticed I didn't say accurate, since each segment equates to 0.45-qt. I've never had any issues with such sensors. I much prefer a dipstick, but once you understand how the sensors work, no issues.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:37 PM
GregWormald
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

I'm sure my 718 says "not available" with the engine running--so engine warm, level, and stopped for a minute or so.
Old 10-21-2017, 02:38 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

All cars I've owned with electronic sensors throw a number when oil reaches enough temperature to trigger the sensor (including my 981 GTS). Sometimes level stays the same after a proper check, but sometimes not. Bottom line is you shouldn't rely on that. Always force a reading the right way, and you'd know where oil level really is. Or at least within 0.45-qt.
Old 10-21-2017, 01:11 PM
gla
Instructor

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

In regards to checking the oil level on a 981. The reading is always available engine running or not after the vehicle has reached operating temperature and has been shut off for about a minute. That reading will be available anytime engine running or not until the engine is run again and reaches operating temperature and then it will be replaced with the new reading. The only time the reading is unavailable is if the rear hatch has been opened for more than thirty seconds. This will cancel the reading as additional oil could have been added when the hatch was opened. You will not get a reading until the engine has again reached operating temperature and turned off for about a minute. If you never open the rear hatch you will always have a reading from the last time the vehicle was at operating temperature and turned off.
The following users liked this post:
dadster (12-31-2022)
Old 10-21-2017, 05:29 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 121 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by gla
In regards to checking the oil level on a 981. The reading is always available engine running or not after the vehicle has reached operating temperature and has been shut off for about a minute. That reading will be available anytime engine running or not until the engine is run again and reaches operating temperature and then it will be replaced with the new reading. The only time the reading is unavailable is if the rear hatch has been opened for more than thirty seconds. This will cancel the reading as additional oil could have been added when the hatch was opened. You will not get a reading until the engine has again reached operating temperature and turned off for about a minute. If you never open the rear hatch you will always have a reading from the last time the vehicle was at operating temperature and turned off.
Excellent reply. Wondered how the logic worked on the 981. Where did you find out these details? Perhaps it's in the manual and I just didn't have the patience find it. Anyway thanks.
Old 10-22-2017, 01:24 AM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by gla
You will not get a reading until the engine has again reached operating temperature and turned off for about a minute.
Mine throws a reading when oil reaches operating temperature (before shutting engine off) after opening the hatch. If the car did that by itself, it wouldn't say in the manual how to do it, IMO. But my car definitely throws a reading once engine gets hot enough, just like BMWs and others. Whatever the car does, do it yourself like it says in the manual and call it a day. I don't pay attention what the car says except when I reset it myself.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:58 PM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Check this post I made in the GT4 forum and read the 2 page attachment I included in that post. More info than you ever cared to know about oil level display in 981 cars.

https://rennlist.com/forums/gt4/9942...ailable-2.html
Old 10-23-2017, 10:53 PM
JCtx
Burning Brakes

Thanks for that document. You should post it here. It checks oil level both ways (static and dynamic), but it's better to do it statically (more consistent). Based on that document, the best way to check oil level IMO (which I'll do from now on) is to open the hatch for a minute (>45 sec) while engine is at typical operating temperature after getting home (about 195ºF, in my case), to erase previous oil level info. Check that oil level info was erased, close hatch, then start engine and shut it off. If engine is cold, it'd throw a reading around 158ºF or so, which is not the same as 195, hence I wouldn't rely on a 'dynamic' level check, but to each his own. Apparently the system waits a minute before measuring level, so we CANNOT really force a reading ourselves. Interesting. The manual clearly says to wait a minute before checking level, but what it doesn't say is the DME is doing the checking automatically, which takes a minute, hence waiting a minute to see the results, I guess.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-23-2017 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:01 AM
okie981
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by elp_jc
Thanks for that document. You should post it here.
Let it be done. Posted here.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf
P001 Sports Cars - Copy.pdf (137.8 KB, 323 views)
The following users liked this post:
911 Chicago (03-08-2021)
Old 10-27-2017, 10:58 AM
skuplist
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just changed my oil at a small independent shop but they were not able to get the service indication changed on my 981 Spyder. They have the Computer for Porsche diagnostics but told me that Porsche is not allowing independent shops make changes to the service reminder. I still show the change oil notification. Anyone run into this and is there any way to fix this without paying the dealer $450 service charge?

Quick Reply: Checking oil level