Notices
718 GTS 4.0/GT4/GT4RS/Spyder/25th Anniversary Discussions about the 718 version of the GT4RS, GTS 4.0, GT4, Spyder and 25th Anniversary Boxster
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By: Cobb

718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 11:46 PM
GT3 Techno
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suicide Jockey
I don't know that the sound clip, if that's what you're referring to, constitutes "firm evidence," but it looks like we might know something pretty soon. I'm still firmly of the belief the car will be NA, but as I have always said, I'm pulling for you turbo guys -- STRONG! If it turns out I have a big dish of crow to consume, I will accompany it with a bag of Dorritos and a Diet Dr. Pepper (as I don't have Eduardo's refined palette ).
Old 03-20-2018, 07:52 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Reposting what I said in the other thread:

That sounds frighteningly like a turbo flat 4 or maybe even but barely even a 3.0 turbo 6 :/ . Nothing like an N/A, and certainly not like a 4.0 GT N/A. What a tragedy if that's the case.

Maybe Porsche is trolling us by doing something to make it sound so horrible, maybe it's not a Spyder but a guy who modded his 718 GTS to have a Spyder cover, or maybe Porsche completely screwed up and put yet another small CI F/I engine in another sports car, this time the upcoming GT4 and Spyder's which have had people salivating over paying huge markups for a raw naturally aspirated example.

BTW, if it is F/I, then congrats to you 981 owners! Values will go through the roof.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:19 PM
vbb
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by K-A
BTW, if it is F/I, then congrats to you 981 owners! Values will go through the roof.
Will they? I keep reading this, but I really wonder. Don't get me wrong, the Spyder is a special car that should retain value similar to the GT cars, meaning it'll depreciate, but not very rapidly and the floor will be pretty high. But do people believe the values will skyrocket, similar to the 993 & 993TT as the last of the air cooleds? If so, when? 20 years from now?

Old 03-20-2018, 07:21 PM
tq.3z
Pro

Received 56 Likes on 34 Posts

Probably instantly due to sheer numbers. Less than 800 is probably significantly less than whatever 993 production numbers were. It will be a very desirable classic - but that's a moot point because it already is just that. Appreciation for a car is a weird thing. Even if it weren't the last of its kind it would still be my favorite car. Some people have a hard time appreciating a thing for what it is.
Old 03-20-2018, 07:53 PM
Marine Blue
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 801 Likes on 465 Posts

The 987.2 is already close to what they were selling for new in the right configuration and excellent condition. I think the 981 has more mass appeal in both appearance and the easier to use top so it will likely do better than the 987 in the short term.

It will be interesting to see where prices go 20 years from now, who knows how the car industry and market will be affected with all the changes going on in the industry and the general move to electric.
Old 03-20-2018, 08:36 PM
Suicide Jockey
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Will they? I keep reading this, but I really wonder. . . . But do people believe the values will skyrocket, similar to the 993 & 993TT as the last of the air cooleds?
Skyrocket as much as the 993's? Hard to say. Remember that the 993 didn't get to its lofty heights overnight. But if the next Spyder is turbo, I have no doubt the prices will spike immediately, and why shouldn't they? As Ameer indicates, the car is already very special to begin with just on its own, leaving everything else aside. But then factor in only approx. 850 units for North America. Factor in it would be the last NA Boxster Porsche ever made. Factor in it would be the last NA non-GT car Porsche ever made. Factor in it would be the last NA Porsche convertible (depending on what happens to the upcoming Speedster) Porsche ever made, and all of a sudden, in historical perspective, the car takes on some meaty significance separate and apart from just how great it is.

Mid-engine.
Six speed MT only.
2,899 lbs.
Sexy/drop dead looks.
Sound to die for.
X73.
3.8 L.
Purposefully under-tired so you can have a little fun.
Ability to defeat nannies.
Option to put the top down.

In a very short time as electrics/hybrids/autonomous cars become the norm and the MT goes away for good, demand for a car with these attributes will only go up. A 981 Spyder is money in the bank IMO (as is a 987) and even more so if its successor is turbo.
Old 03-21-2018, 12:45 AM
guab
Pro

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

That video clip did not provide overwhelming evidence it was turbo'd. I suppose I'm all for the values increasing on my car so when I decide to sell it I make out alright -- but at the same time, I just don't feel that video even suggested turbo.
Old 03-21-2018, 07:36 AM
K-A
Drifting

Received 135 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by vbb
Will they? I keep reading this, but I really wonder. Don't get me wrong, the Spyder is a special car that should retain value similar to the GT cars, meaning it'll depreciate, but not very rapidly and the floor will be pretty high. But do people believe the values will skyrocket, similar to the 993 & 993TT as the last of the air cooleds? If so, when? 20 years from now?

Absolutely. Not sure how it'll compare to the 993, but as mentioned, that was a slow rise.

IF the 982 Spyder/GT4 is a turbo (4 OR 6, but especially 4), 981 Spyder/GT4 prices will jump immediately. And in 20 years, barring some drastic industry-regulations that go past what we already assume, no doubt I think they'll be above where they are today. 991.1 Carreras jumped in pricing and continued to rise for 2 years after the 991.2 Carreras came out, simply because the replacements are smaller CI turbos (and they're 6's as opposed to 4's).

Quick Reply: 718 Spyder 1st Sighting... & it looks like a Turbo.