Notices
718 Forum 982 (718) 2016-Current Discussions about 718 Boxster Cayman Variants
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is Porsche satisfied with the 718 Boxster S?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 04:39 AM
stumil
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Is Porsche satisfied with the 718 Boxster S?

So I’ve driven the 981 Boxster GTS and 718 Boxster S and have fond feelings for both. I’m looking to replace my daily driver 6-speed 2011 997.2 with a recent Boxster. I really enjoy the ease of driving the 6-speed 718 Boxster S with it’s low RPM torque, but it’s missing the wonderful noises of the 6 cylinder 981 Boxster S and GTS. Why not just buy a 981 you ask? Because I want to custom order the car with “leather to sample”, sofa seats, blind spot detection, and manual transmission among other options.

My question is, what’s next for the 718 from Porsche? Is the 718 Boxster/Cayman selling well enough as is (and not threatening big brother 911), or does Porsche think that the sound of the 718 is hurting sales? Maybe Porsche is so happy with their huge number of SUV sales (and their current focus on the redesigned Panamera) that pefecting the 718 platform just isn’t that important right now. Are they going to try to make the 4 banger sound better? Since the 718 has only been around for 2 model years (introduced in 2016 as a 2017), does that mean we won’t see a GTS until model year 2019? I keep hearing rumors of a return of the NA 6 cylinder, but I can’t see Porsche going “backwards”. Maybe a 6-pot for an upcoming Boxster Spyder or GT4, but hard to imagine for the 718 Boxster S or GTS. The Spyder option doesn’t interest me as I prefer the easier roof operation and added sound insulation of the regular Boxster top rather than the Spyder.

So here’s the “first world” problem of the day, if you love the looks and sound of the 981 Boxster, but want the 718’s flat torque curve and ability to customize, what do you do?

Last edited by stumil; 10-12-2017 at 09:23 AM.
Old 10-12-2017, 07:08 AM
Selo
Rennlist Member

Received 123 Likes on 62 Posts

718 is receiving some pretty high praise in automotive press. Not sure why they would feel the need to work on it before a typical model refresh is due. The addition of a GTS will only increase it's performance and probably bring more kudos. The only real negative is the sound it makes, and that hasn't stopped people from buying lots of nice cars for the past 10 or 20 years, even the acclaimed Porsche turbo. IMO could be waiting a good while, if you plan to wait for a significant refresh of 718 before purchasing.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Archimedes
Race Director

Received 3,858 Likes on 1,902 Posts

They're not going back to the NA 6 for the regular 718 platform, so you just have to decide if the sound of the 4 is tolerable for you. Personal choice.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:06 AM
olegd
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 145 Posts

The huge negative with 718 is the sales numbers. They are dismal. I think that people are just not accepting the 4-cyl turbo. They either have to drop the price to attract a wider audience or go back to more prestigious mechanics.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:21 AM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the Turbo 4 is a short phase between NA6 and Electrified. I think the people interested in electrified sports cars will see them as superior to the turbo 4... And people who prefer ICE will will see the 981 NA6 as superior to the turbo 4... My prediction is that resale on 718s will be abnormally poor for porsches... Like 996 911s.

http://www.motortrend.com/news/hybrid-porsche-cayman-concept-hits-62-mph-3-3-seconds/

That doesn't mean I think the 718 is a bad car. I want one... I'm just not wanting to eat depreciation. And I want an electrified version even more. Give me cayman handling and Tesla Ludicrous acceleration, please!
Old 10-12-2017, 11:41 AM
terbiumactivated
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Electric? You think the sound sucks now! haha. I don't think you will ever see a six in the Boxster Cayman platform unless it's a spyder or GT4, they aren't going to blink on that. As for pricing, Porsche has NEVER blinked on that either.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Biochemlab
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know the sound is a huge deal for a lot of Porsche folks and I respect that. Those are the people I was referring to in saying the NA6 will be preferable to the Turbo 4 (and electrified). I don't get my joy from the sound, so I prefer the Turbo 4 and will like electrified even more.

Porsche said they aren't planning a Ecayman... It's just a test mule for charging speeds... But I'm still crazy excited for a 3.3 second Cayman-like sports car from Porsche!! Take.My.Money!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:25 PM
DrBillyD
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by stumil
So I’ve driven the 981 Boxster GTS and 718 Boxster S and have fond feelings for both. I’m looking to replace my daily driver 6-speed 2011 997.2 with a recent Boxster. I really enjoy the ease of driving the 6-speed 718 Boxster S with it’s low RPM torque, but it’s missing the wonderful noises of the 6 cylinder 981 Boxster S and GTS. Why not just buy a 981 you ask? Because I want to custom order the car with “leather to sample”, sofa seats, blind spot detection, and manual transmission among other options.

My question is, what’s next for the 718 from Porsche? Is the 718 Boxster/Cayman selling well enough as is (and not threatening big brother 911), or does Porsche think that the sound of the 718 is hurting sales? Maybe Porsche is so happy with their huge number of SUV sales (and their current focus on the redesigned Panamera) that pefecting the 718 platform just isn’t that important right now. Are they going to try to make the 4 banger sound better? Since the 718 has only been around for 2 model years (introduced in 2016 as a 2017), does that mean we won’t see a GTS until model year 2019? I keep hearing rumors of a return of the NA 6 cylinder, but I can’t see Porsche going “backwards”. Maybe a 6-pot for an upcoming Boxster Spyder or GT4, but hard to imagine for the 718 Boxster S or GTS. The Spyder option doesn’t interest me as I prefer the easier roof operation and added sound insulation of the regular Boxster top rather than the Spyder.

So here’s the “first world” problem of the day, if you love the looks and sound of the 981 Boxster, but want the 718’s flat torque curve and ability to customize, what do you do?
My thought process was similar in many respects when I was looking for a convertible and ultimately ended up with a 2015 BGTS. Stupid question perhaps but what's "leather to sample"? Mine has a full leather interior for which I'm grateful (alcantara on any weight bearing surface, steering wheel, and shifter wears horribly, IMHO). Blind spot detection would be nice (especially with the top up) but hasn't been as much of an issue as I'd feared; same for back up camera. Mine's MT but PDK is a work of genius and especially if I lived in a big city and had to deal with stop-and-go traffic, I'd prefer it over MT.

What ultimately got me was the sound of the PSE--a purely emotional reaction that hooked me. I also preferred the 'creature comforts' of the GTS over the Spyder.

I've thought about doing some mods like replacing the exhaust headers, intake plenum and an ECU tune but the price/benefit ratio seems..... questionable, at best. Torque would flatten somewhat but the graphs I've seen of the 718 torque curve are impressive. I'm not a track guy and never will be, and wanted a convertible for cruising the rural twisties near me so my choice fits me fine. For me, the power/torque are only part of the 'equation' that makes for an enjoyable driving experience. The 981 BGTS is so well balanced that it makes me feel like a much, much better driver than I really am, which is a nice ego stroke.
Old 10-12-2017, 12:27 PM
storii
Rennlist Member

Received 105 Likes on 66 Posts

IIRC, the original concept for the 718 was a "baby Porsche". A smaller body than the Boxster/Cayman platform, turbocharged 4 and MSRP around $40K. If this became a reality, it would have been fantastic. But somehow the 718 became the new Boxster/Cayman. I have heard a lot of good things about the 718, but I will have a very hard time to convince myself to spend nearly $100K for a 4-cylinder car.... I would look for a 981S as close to my own specs as possible and be happy. And I did!
Old 10-12-2017, 12:47 PM
Phil G.
Race Car

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by storii
IIRC, the original concept for the 718 was a "baby Porsche". A smaller body than the Boxster/Cayman platform, turbocharged 4 and MSRP around $40K. If this became a reality, it would have been fantastic. But somehow the 718 became the new Boxster/Cayman. I have heard a lot of good things about the 718, but I will have a very hard time to convince myself to spend nearly $100K for a 4-cylinder car.... I would look for a 981S as close to my own specs as possible and be happy. And I did!
Agreed and PM sent to OP!
Old 10-12-2017, 02:51 PM
spyderphile
Three Wheelin'

Received 98 Likes on 78 Posts

stumil, here are my take and suggestion:

- 718 is not getting NA as others have noted. GT4 and Spyder are exempted.
- GTS is around the corner. We should see the launch real soon, for the MY '18.
- 982 is a fine sports car. Both the Boxster and Cayman have received great compliments in all areas but sound. With some after-market tweaks, you should be able to mitigate that. Just this morning, I had a chance to look at a Boxster S in Lava Orange up close and personal on the floor. Looked pretty cool. Only thing I prefer from 981, in the interior, is the vents; but, I would get used to it. Never driven one, as I am a sound/NA fanatic. The handling dynamics of 982 moved the post from 981, as it should be.
- In my personal view, you would be happy custom spec'ing a 982. Go for the GTS. Don't think the 4-cylinder is a stigma; it isn't!
- After 982, we will still see turbo IC engines. But, beyond that, I am betting on hybrid/electric options. IC engines are going to be sun-set in a number of markets/countries from 2030 and beyond. So, all the manufacturers are scrambling.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:12 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Third hand, I also heard that sales of the 718 in my local market are horrendous. FWIW.
Old 10-12-2017, 05:05 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DrBillyD
My thought process was similar in many respects when I was looking for a convertible and ultimately ended up with a 2015 BGTS. Stupid question perhaps but what's "leather to sample"? Mine has a full leather interior for which I'm grateful (alcantara on any weight bearing surface, steering wheel, and shifter wears horribly, IMHO).
W
I.
Leather to sample is an individualization that Porsche offers (like paint to sample) , so you can (pay $$) to have a different leather color than is standard.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:15 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

718 Boxster certainly looks good and the new tech (PCM w/CarPlay, etc) is nice vs 981 platform.

I went and and test drove a 718 Cayman S manual last week wanting to like it, but found the sound just awful and also the clutch uptake harder to operate smoothly with the turbo 4.

I ended up driving and buying a 981 Spyder a few minutes later, which not only sounded perfect, but also was far easier to drive smoothly with supposedly same 6-speed manual transmission. I’ve also driven a 981 Cayman GTS manual some time ago and would buy it vs a new 718 Cayman S (or soon-to-be-announced 718 GTS, assuming that also has a turbo 4) every day of the week, even used for the same price as a new 718.

I previously owned a 981 Boxster S manual a few years ago. I’d also rather pay the same money to buy that back as it would cost to buy a new 718 Boxster S.

I really think it just doesn’t matter that the 718 can accelerate a bit faster with its turbo 4 than the old NA 6 in the 981. This car isn’t about performance numbers; it’s about emotion and feeling. And on that count Porsche has failed with the 718-series Boxster and Cayman, IMO.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:18 PM
Lapis
Burning Brakes

Received 72 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Milehigh981
Leather to sample is an individualization that Porsche offers (like paint to sample) , so you can (pay $$) to have a different leather color than is standard.
more power to you on the CXX seats. Have seen some great examples of that including on a 718 recently on display at PEC Atlanta. I believe it had Chalk leather with dark grey Alcantara seat centers with carmine red piping. Very classy look.

However, I wouldn’t waste the high cost of CXX seats on a 718 with a 4-banger. You’ll regret.

in all seriousness, you might get a better result (and do better on resale vs cost of buying, by purchasing a nice CPO 981 Boxster GTS with the build you want except for seats then having one of the few customizers who do so re-doing th seats just as you’d have Porsche Exxlusive do them. The only think you wouldn’t be able to do is get the lane change assist I suppose, but big deal.

Quick Reply: Is Porsche satisfied with the 718 Boxster S?